SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_473797351

Ideas for what seems like a useless waste of space (foyer / wide hall)

Gina N
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

So we finally moved all the boxes out from the hallway from moving in and I thought I'd feel like we've gained so much space.

But it's actually the opposite! :(

Looking at this not only do I not know what to do with it that would be usable and functional, and actually add to our lives - but all it makes me think about is "why didn't you just give me bigger actual living spaces or laundry room?"

(thoughts / ideas we had for improvement, at least were: painting a lighter color (maybe like a White Dove, new lighting fixture/pendant, a door with some glass to let some light through)...

But I just can't visualize anything being that great to take up this humongous hallway AND look good AND be useful for us.

What would you do with this space that I can't see? Any ideas?

Thank you.

Comments (46)

• KW PNW Z8
    2 years ago

It appears to be two separate spaces with the divider being the squared off opening. There’s a ceiling light on each side, correct? Can you post either the floorplan showing what each of the rooms are that open off these two hallways or sketch out the hall & rooms & please include hall length & width. Is that screen meant to stay in the one wider opening?

Gina N thanked KW PNW Z8
  • Gina N
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Hi @KW PNW Z8 - yes, 2 separate spaces with the divider of the 2 spaces being that square opening. With a ceiling light on each side.

We have the study option.

We have those dividers to hide the rest of the boxes as much as we can right now - not permanent (although it feels never ending!)

I'll measure the hallway width and length for you.

Thank you!

• Related Discussions

Help Needed with Foyer & Main Hall Lighting

Q

Comments (11)
    Thank you everyone, looks like #1. is the favorite. :) Annie, it is 14" height by 10" wide. There were a couple other lights I liked but the lighting designer was concerned they were too tall with the 9' ceilings, she seemed more happy with this choice. Lol. I will take your advice and hang some bags to see the scale at the house tomorrow. That's a good idea. :) I wasn't to sure if choice #1 was too funky looking, like something that would remind people of some of the crazy lights people hung in the 70's, lol. But even when I showed hubby he seemed to like it. Usually we picked lighting more modern and in chrome or brushed steel so this is a big change. My one son asked me why the new lighting is so gothic, lol.
    ...See More

36 inch wide vanity or 32 wide inch tub in hall bath

Q

Comments (13)
    Don't base your decision on the general dimensions. You need to look at actual tubs and, if possible, sit in them. I had a similar problem to yours in that I wanted no smaller than a 27-28" shower door, which limited the width of the adjoining tub options. After a ton of searching, I finally found a couple of 30" wide tubs that had equally large interior dimensions or felt more spacious inside than others. I ended up going with a Mirabelle Edenton (60"x30"x20") air bath, which was substantially cheaper than the wider Hydrosystems Lacey (and had a larger bottom interior dimension), and more attractive and sturdy feeling than the slightly cheaper Kohler Archer (which seems very tight inside but has good bottom interior dimensions. Anyhow, I'd take a closer look at 30" wide tubs and get the vanity you want. I just posted a video of the Edenton air bath in action if you want to check it out. You can also see other posts I have made regarding it and my remodel if you cannot find it locally (the brand is only sold by Ferguson's and the affiliated Californian equivalent).
    ...See More

Long Wide Hallway - How To Decorate? PICS

Q

Comments (7)
    What about adding some wainscoting and runners to help fill the space like this area. I like how they placed the vase and books on the console table. The photos don't have to be of your family, they could just be scenes that you like. A set of photos (think places you've traveled, places you like -all in black and white addes a touch or formality since you'll see it from your living room. [traditional hall design[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-hallway-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_743~s_2107) by san francisco interior designer Amoroso Design Alternatively, you could just have a beautiful rug there and the console table and grand lights like this space: [traditional hall design[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-hallway-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_743~s_2107) by los angeles interior designer Elizabeth Dinkel I started a search for you so you can gather some inspiration from here as well: Here is a link that might be useful: [Wide hallway with console table images[(https://www.houzz.com/products/wide-hallway-console-table-prbr0lbl-pl~l_88732)
    ...See More

Enclose Formal Space to Make Office Space. Good Idea or Bad Idea?

Q

Comments (8)
    I think it definitely would add value to your house because the next owner wouldn't have to go through what your going through now. I think you're right that people want more usable, functional space. Too many people think they want totally open spaces but they end up with what you have now with wasted and useless space. and in furnishing those purposeless areas, they end up with something that looks like a furniture store showroom. Boring! I agree with squaring it off and placing the French doors facing the foyer. An added benefit when finished, is you gain some wall space in your living room for a wide but not too deep statement cabinet that could hold a lot of the kids' toys and games. If you have frequent guests and need an extra bed, I like the idea of a fold-up couch or desk/bed set-up to give the room an extra function.
    ...See More
  • Gina N
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@KW PNW Z8 the hallway is about 77" wide - the first space from the front door to the beginning of the first column is about 16' - and from that spot to the beginning of the next column is about 11.75'. (each column is about 9")

That's probably a terrible measuring description! Let me know if you need it different :)

• Suki Mom
    2 years ago

That is unfortunate that there is so much space devoted to hallway. Do you have lots of books or pottery that you could display in tall bookcases?

Gina N thanked Suki Mom
  • Yvonne Martin
    2 years ago

I vote for a wall of bookcases if you have a lot of books that are currently in different rooms. Otherwise you could have 1 foot deep closets built into the wall. This could give you a guest closet, hooks for family coats, and space to store extra dishes.

Gina N thanked Yvonne Martin
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago

what a great opportunity to decorate!

Paint that door BM Wrought Iron, maybe shiplap the wall around, paint the other walls a nice white, bring in a 10' beautiful runner, and think about doing sliding doors (or even french doors) in place of those screens

I'd place these lights throughout the hallway. I have one in mine and love it. Bergamot light

You have those great ceilings! I'd be playing up those!! semi flush lights, paint it a diff color, or remove that crown and do something w/wood

Do a gallery wall.

and you have height if you want to do some pendants

love this too w/the dark door at one end, a dark ceiling, and a bright runner. pick framed black/white pictures just like this, and matching pendants

pick a bold color?

Love this darker ceiling color w/the white crown,

find a skinny table to put here. hang a mirror or art above it. bring in a runner

Gina N thanked Beth H. :
  • KW PNW Z8
    2 years ago

@Gina N Moving & unpacking is hard work! Take a deep breath! As long as your beds are set up & the kitchen is unpacked, you can take your time with the rest. Looking at floorplan - the first room next to front door is a study with double glass doors & next room is Dining with opening to kitchen & entry hall, yes? There’s a wall between study & dining, yes? I see a closet marked L just inside second hallway - is that linen or coat closet? If linen, do you have a coat closet? I see the garage to house entry is through laundry so likely you could have a mud room set up there for your shoes, jackets etc. What I’m looking for is a place to hang coats of guests who come through front door. Maybe that’s a space reserved in study but it doesn’t appear to have a closet so maybe a standing pole coat rack. What I’m thinking is that you have a generous sized front entry - @ 6.5’ X 16’. That’s certainly large enough to create a welcoming ”foyer” that you can have fun decorating. Looks like your ceilings are 10’ - is that right? Don’t know your style but I would definitely install a hanging lamp with some glam or pop to it in that first hallway. There’s lots of wall space to hang big pieces of art too. Also think about an area rug that will cover most of that floor. A standard size of runner is 3’ x 16’ so that might work leaving 1.5’ each side for console table, bench etc. Since the study has glass doors & is right next to entry, I would try to tie the decor to entry, style wise. The second length of hall looks shorter & I would treat it differntly & not as part of entry. I think with the extra info you provided, others will chime in with advice for you to consider. What they will ask is what is your style furniture wise & colors - what do you like & what do you already have in the way of rugs, art, mirrors, console tables etc. If you have anything ypu want to put in entry, pics of that would be helpful.. Do you have a dining chandelier you like & can you choose an entry chandelier that is complementary to it?

Gina N thanked KW PNW Z8
  • KW PNW Z8
    2 years ago

@Gina N See - there you go with lots of ideas! They all posted while I was writing my book! 😁

Gina N thanked KW PNW Z8
  • Rebekah L
    2 years ago

I put my upright piano in the foyer. My house is not large and I didn't want this taking up a bunch of wall space in the living room. The foyer is working out beautifully.

Gina N thanked Rebekah L
  • Gina N
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@decoenthusiaste all those look gorgeous. Thank you.

@Suki Mom It is, I would definitely exchange some square footage from this hallway/foyer for other rooms. I am not too much a "collect" or "display" type of person.

@Yvonne Martin I don't have anywhere to put coats (although we're in Florida so that's not too much a concern - but still - nice to have a place when people are wearing something they want to hang up) - so the idea of having something there to help with that could work. 12" doesn't seem deep enough to house too much of anything though - I'm thinking it would need to be more like 24".

@Beth H. : thanks Beth. I know it will pretty once we make some changes. I just would be more excited to decorate if I felt like I had enough storage and room in the rest of the house. I am sure it will feel better about it once we make some changes. I am grateful for the house.

I'll look into the Bergamot light, it looks pretty. Would you the same light in both the foyer and the next "square". And what would be the reason to pick a pendant over something more flush are there any "rules" I want to consider (we definitely do have the height).

@Rebekah L so glad the foyer is working for you to be able to put something that looks nice there but would take up more useful space in another area of the house

• Gina N
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Hi @KW PNW Z8 thank you - it is taking forever to unpack the house because we have a few things in limbo (e.g., needing floors installed in all 3 bedrooms).

The laundry room is small - just enough space for the washer / dryer (we've thought about doing an over/under but not sure how I feel about that), so there is no place to have a mudroom (would love a mudroom!) And you're right, no closet in the study. The closet that you see in the second square has shelves and it is most useful like that (over a coat closet, not only because I'd hate to have less storage, we're in Florida so a coat is not all the time thing.). But the idea of a standalone coat hanger could work as an option and I can see getting a really nice one could look good.

I think the ceilings are 9' or 10'. Would you suggest a pendant over semi-flush like the one that Beth mentioned above?

I notice a lot of suggestions for a runner - is that to protect the floors, for style, or both? I always worry about a tripping hazard with those (and feels like one more place to catch cat hair :/) , even though I really like how they look. I do notice plenty of pictures of similar setups without the runner so I'm thinking if I don't do that it could still look OK.

The area is kind of dark - I'm now thinking mirrors...would they help brighten up the same (as opposed to art.) They could catch some of the light that comes in to the study.

I don't have much of anything that would be useful in that area, since we didn't have a setup like that in the other house.

But as I run into things I'm considering I'll post here.

• Gina N
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I wonder also if this may not be the perfect project to pay someone to help since it's such a concrete/defined space...

• KW PNW Z8
    2 years ago

Hi @Gina N - boy, you really do have a lot on your plate besides ”only” unpacking”! Hiring a decorating consultant may well be worth it but you know you’ll get lots of free advice on this Houzz site which is great. Of course, you also get a lot of unsolicited advice too which I think is mostly ok since it sometimes sparks other good ideas. Mostly though I think that decorating of your front entry hall takes a back burner until you’re a bit more settled. Ideas will occur during that time!

My thoughts on your questions - hanging light - semi flush or pendant length? Looks like you have 10’ ceilings based on space over entry door. You also think the entry hall is too dark. Based on that, my vote would be a chandelier (pendant length) because it feels like more light since it’s closer person standing there. Depending on your style it can have either a casual or glam look. And, yes, maybe the same light should be in each square of hall - or, maybe the same light will work as semi-flush for second square. Since the lights are both visible from most points, they need to be very similar or connected.

Entry rug - either way with / without works & since you’re in FL, maybe a rug is less important for function. Your floors are gorgeous so don’t need to hide them. But, yes they are used for all the reasons you listed. As a deorating piece, a rug does add color & softness so maybe for the front entry only you do have one about as long as the study doors. not a full hall runner. You can mock up sizes & shapes like round or squares to see how it would look.

Mirror in entry - always nice to have one by the front door & yes, it would reflect any light from study window as well as ceiling light. I think once you move the screen out of your dining room doorway, you’ll see more light from that room too.

Laundry room - that you didn’t ask about! You said trying to decide on stacking or side by side - maybe you want to post that as a new question? I’ve never had stacking so nothing

to offer except if you’re very short, might be challenging. If you post, include the part of your floor plan with Laundry & list dimensions of room. What I noted is 2 swing doors. I wondered if removing the interior door is an option since doesn’t look like laundry is visible from living areas. Doing that would free up wall space for hanging hooks or fold down table etc. If the door is needed maybe it could be changed out to a sliding barn door style on outside of laundry room.

Good luck with getting settled & don’t forget to have some fun with it! I look forward to new posts from you to see your progress.

Kathy

• KW PNW Z8
    2 years ago

@Gina N Looking at your original posting pics - I think I see a full length ”leaner” mirror in that family room area. I had been wondering what it would look like to have a wall leaning mirror in your entry rather than the typical wall hung mirror over a console. Maybe try putting that on wall in entry across from study & see how it looks & how much light it reflects. I have one in my bedroom so I know how great they are but mine does sit on carpet so there’s no danger of it sliding. I don’t know how one of these mirrors can be anchored on a wood floor. But it might be something to play around with. That’s the fun of a new house - our existing stuff finds new ways to be used.

• Gina N
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Hi Kathy @KW PNW Z8 finally getting around to showing you these pictures of the laundry room, and the measurements (about 68.5" x 69"). I hope you'll still be willing to read. :)

We already have a barn door! (but it wasn't done properly and keeps gliding off the hinge and swaying at the bottom - so we're not crazy about it.)

(but I'm realizing now, I think you meant to do a new post right?)

Thank you so much for your thoughts on the pendant light (which is what I'm leaning toward) and the runner too.

Mirror - we don't have it anchored :/ it's never given us an issue but I know it's likely a very bad idea. Especially if we place it by the front door where opening and closing the door might create vibrations. Once we figure out where it will go permanently I will make sure we anchor it. :/

The other thing I thought about doing - but would likely either be structurally impossible OR very costly - I don't know - is doing a sidelight by the door. Like breaking through the wall. Assuming the HOA would allow it. :/ I just need to get some light into this house, and into that hallway!

For some reason I am having the hardest time making this house look good. Even things that I am usually OK at - don't work in this house. We put up a few Christmas lights and the entrance looks OK but the one little boxwood bush that we did looks terrible. :/ I don't know if it's not enough lights, or that he's kind of bare (poor thing) or what. But just having the hardest time with making things look decent.

^I am normally not this "complain-y" and normally very grateful. I don't know what's going on lately.

Thanks again Kathy!

• KW PNW Z8
    2 years ago

Hello @Gina N ! Your laundry pics didn’t post but yes, I did mean to suggest a new post for your laundry room dilemma of stacking W&D or not. But I do now understand you already changed the floor plan with the addition of barn door so that’s maximizing floor & wall space in laundry. Sliding doors on one track do have a tendency to sway at bottom but shouldn’t slide off track at top. Could you add a piece to make a "stop" at the ends of track?

Thinking about your front hallway - hopefully HOA isn’t that restrictive that they would not permit a window add. Additions to footprint of house, yes, but not a window like that. But, my front door has a transom window above the door & you have more than enough space to do that. Picture below so you can vusualize. Mine is all one piece with door jam which we learned when we replaced the windowless door for one with a leaded glass window. I wanted more light in my hallway too. I have a covered front porch so that affects light to the transom window & side window. You could have a window added above the door. I’ve learned too - after we had our door replaced - that doors can be retrofitted with windows like our door has. For yours, you’d want a window with a curved top to follow that design shape on your door. Something to investigate for possibility, yes? You can see the window design in my mirror on wall next to door better than in the door - it's dark out.

I don’t know where you’ve moved from or why you moved but it’s said that moving is one of the most stressful life changes we go through no matter the reason for move. Add the holidays & Covid stress on top of that and it would be a wonder if you were not having a bit of a hard time & were instead just sailing through happy and all! I am happier today because yesterday was the shortest day of the year so each day will now be a little brighter and we're closer to spring when I can be outside -in my favorite place - my yard! I am in PNW so it's pretty wet & low 40's during days. Best advice is to take a break with a walk around your new block - you might meet one of your neighbors!

Gina N thanked KW PNW Z8
  • everdebz
    2 years ago

Did you say you'd like more light? I could be wrong, but seems that lumens measure the light output. And if the light is lower to where y'all are, might be better? How high ceiling?

You might show what is in the farthest room, because you might like to draw our eyes way in, say with large canvas art....

• everdebz
    2 years ago

If truly a chandelier-lover, might like 1 or 2. I already had this open... nice possibly if you keep the textured screens, black framed. 30 W x 27" H

Mesh Pendant · More Info

Gina N thanked everdebz
  • loobab
    2 years ago

Gina- You haven't described your style, so it is difficult to make concrete suggestions.

I suggest you go internet surfing and peruse photos of entryways online and here on Houzz and collect photos of what you like and what you don't like.

Include photos with furniture, light fixtures, rugs, floor mats, paint colors, umbrella stands, hall trees, any single thing you like, nothing is too minor.

Even include things you don't like!

That will help you distill your style and colorway.

Sometimes it is difficult to articulate what you like, but when you can say, "this and this, and this, but not in this colorway," you can get to where you want to go.

Especially when working with someone else.

• Gina N
    Original Author
    2 years ago

(realizing I had combined loobab and everdebz posts together! @loobab thank you so much for the suggestion to post pictures of what I like.) and @everdebz thanks for the pendant suggestions!)

I like the 2 pendants you posted they are both kind of edgy I truly like them both - if I had to choose one of the two I'd choose the black one. Not because I don't like the other one but because the black is less edgy and more something I can see in my house / blending with my style (even though I'd be in awe and would love seeing it in someone else's house). I would actually even like to try the black one (not sure if the lighting stores allow returns whether that's doable in case it doesn't work) - but I also didn't see a price for the black one so I'm imagining it's really expensive?

Below are some pictures to illustrate my style / what I'm attracted to overall. Pretty transitional, I think. Muted colors. I know these are kitchens and living rooms and have nothing to do with hallways, but I hope this helps give a visual to what might work in the hallway with this kind of style.

(NO idea if some of these are completely out of style / trend! but overall I like the look of the rooms I posted here. Even though for example, I'd never do a white couch or a couch that was a print. I could love it, but likely too bold a choice for me.)

I will also look for hallway specific elements to see if I find some potential things.

Maison Noir · More Info

Gourmet cream and grey new build kitchen · More Info

Modern Elegance in Presidio Heights · More Info

Wildflower #2 Two Story · More Info

CITY LIGHTS LIVING ROOM · More Info

Urban Lodge · More Info

Harmonious Style · More Info

Kitchen · More Info

2018 Fall Parade of Homes · More Info

Eclectic Farmhouse Remodel · More Info

• Gina N
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@KW PNW Z8 thank you so much for your pictures and kind words and encouragement.

I tend not to love barn doors, style wise, even though they make sense and are useful. I'd prefer a pocket door but even if we could do it we would likely not want to invest in that right now. But yes, maybe we could make it better than what it is now. (and I didn't know that they tend to swivel out at the bottom, makes sense. But I don't like it!) We had a handyman over last week I'll add that to his list.

I'll definitely look into adding a sidelight to see what it could be. I have the same challenge - the outdoor "foyer" is covered - so something above the door wouldn't' bring in as much light as something that can run longways down the side. Did putting in that window on top yield you the results you wanted? (BTW I tend to like angular / square over rounded so I'd likely try to do something other than rounded! Or with a very, very slight rounding if necessary).

• KW PNW Z8
    2 years ago

Hi @Gina N - The original set up of our front door included the upper transom style window. The surprise to us was that it was included as a unit with the door jamb for the door so we couldn't replace just the door which was all I wanted to do. We do recieve a good amount of afternoon light through this west facing window. Though front entry is a covered porch, the walkway & porch is ground level concrete & entry to door / porch is a very tall & stone covered arch. We see pretty summer sunsets through the transom - the top of it is @ 8’ . It was my plain vanilla door that I didn’t like & I wanted a wooden Craftsman style door on exterior. I learned that rarely can one just replace a door & have it fit well into an existing door jamb with hinges matching etc. . Then we learned our entire door unit, including the window would need to be replaced because it was one piece. I believe this phenomenon is called ”Project Creep”. That small project you envision turns into a huge undertaking! 😁 It was after all of this I learned you can have a window cutout retrofitted for a door. BTW , having the window in the door does add more light as well as a decorative element to the interior. If you do add windows to one or both sides of your door, think about using an obscure decorative glass for privacy. You'd get light & a decorative element but still have privacy. Likely you wouldn't have windows that open & they might be narrow to fit between wall studs. The decorative glass is sandwiched between 2 panes of safety glass. I have a full glass inset of reeded glass for my pantry door which looks pretty nice. Obscures what's in the pantry but looks so much better than a door in middle of kitchen. About your barn door - I like pocket doors also - have 2, one for laundry & one at master bath. Electric stuff in the wall is a problem so if can’t use appropriate wall due to electric, I’ve seen another wall built to be the pocket for the doors. That works if door sliding towards a corner & the ”pocket wall” isn’t obviously an extra wall. Hope that makes sense. Not high on your list but something to think about! Are all of your floors installed yet so you can move into those rooms? I do hope that’s not a supply chain delay…!

Kathy

• Rachael Kelly
    2 years ago

What would you like to use the space for? I personally would put a long bench along the wall that has storage underneath & do a gallery wall or large pieces of art on the wall above the bench. You could get pillows for the bench to warm up the area & add texture. You could maybe add a coat rack or hooks on the wall to one side of the bench and a plant on the other.

• everdebz
    2 years ago

The black mesh I posted I found out of stock for over 900.

Here's another version-· 16”H x 21”W / Min. Hanging Height is 17.5 '' ?

https://www.wayfair.com/lighting/pdp/everly-quinn-hallwood-3-light-unique-statement-tiered-chandelier-w000299037.html

• everdebz
    2 years ago

not fancy, endless options... show photos of what you mentioned as your home's style.. :)

24" wide and $123.

• Color Temperature: 4000K
    • Lumens: 3060 / dimmable
    • HANGING LENGTH (WIRE INFO): 1'- 6'

Finesse Decor Simplicity LED 1 Hoop Chandelier // Matte White · More Info

Cole 27.5" Fused Glass Cylinder LED Table Lamp, Set of 2, Smoky Gray · More Info

Gina N thanked everdebz
  • loobab
    2 years ago

everdebz, that is a nice fixture!

Excuse my ignorance, but where is, or what is the bulb?

• everdebz
    2 years ago

Hi loobab, and I'm glad you asked. ;)

I think it's called "integrated LED," with same features as LED bulbs: color temperature options... amount of lumens... not a pro though!

They are: "LEDs are 'directional' light sources, which means they emit light in a specific direction, unlike incandescent and CFL, which emit light and heat in all directions. That means LEDs are able to use light and energy more efficiently in a multitude of applications. However, it also means that sophisticated engineering is needed to produce an LED light bulb that shines light in every direction."

"Integrated LED lights have the LED array actually built into the fixture itself. Whether on a back-pan, strip or a heat sync disc, the LED diodes are installed into the fixture, so you won't find a standard socket for a bulb. One of the benefits of integrated LED's is that they may qualify for a rebate."

"It might be difficult for consumers to accept that they’ll be on the hook for an LED-integrated fixture that doesn’t last its full-service life." I suppose that'd be rare.

Gina N thanked everdebz
  • everdebz
    2 years ago

I skimmed your discussion and noticed idea to paint interior side of entry door. If you develop over time a general plan, the paint could be a tie-in color, from the hall, and rest of your house. Even a bright color.

Gina N thanked everdebz
  • loobab
    2 years ago

everdebz- Does that mean that when the light in that fixture goes, you have to buy a whole new fixture?

• Gina N
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@loobab I can answer that - yes, that is exactly what it means. I ran into that while looking for a fixture for outside. Most fixtures are coming like that now. I don't like it, even if they do have warranties for up to x # of years. What if by that time they don't have the exact replacement, I have to start all over again picking a fixture? Plus, I want to be able to change my own bulb...

• loobab
    2 years ago

^^ Agree!

• everdebz
    2 years ago

Glam Luxe Traditional Four Light Chandelier in Oil Rubbed Bronze Finish Oil · More Info

• everdebz
    2 years ago

Pretty 21 x 26"

Smyth Mini Chandelier, Gunmetal Bronze, White Gold, Clear Glass · More Info

Dip Dye 31.5" Ceramic Table Lamp · More Info

Gina N thanked everdebz
  • everdebz
    2 years ago

Do these usb ports last?

Table Lamp - Brushed Steel Finish - White Hardback Fabric Shade · More Info

Gina N thanked everdebz
  • loobab
    2 years ago

I have stayed in hotels with lamps with these USB ports and they worked fine. I don’t know about the longevity. It looks a bit utilitarian for home use. I’d rather have an outlet with a USB port than a lamp with one.

• Anna (6B/7A in MD)
    2 years ago

I have the outlets with the built in USB ports and they are hit or miss. We've had 2 malfunction out of the 4 we installed but I still like them. If you need to plug in something with a bulky plug, it doesn't allow access to the ports.

Also, I think a console table with drawers would be useful. I would use it to sort mail and keep a couple of emergency items like a flashlight in there. I keep the items needed to charge my Ring and a few other things in there. Handy to have for sure,

• everdebz
    2 years ago

HOA - a solatube in entry could be nice, and on the roof. Some are solar / some have a night light.

Homeroots Decor, Round Double Layer Ribbed Wall Plaque, 19"x2.5"x19" · More Info

Stratton Home Decor Multi Plates Wall Decor · More Info

Gina N thanked everdebz
  • everdebz
    2 years ago

I like the toasty tones of the horse, that seem like your wall color.

"Gorgeous Horse" Painting Print on Wrapped Canvas, 45"x30" · More Info

Gina N thanked everdebz
  • everdebz
    2 years ago

I think you said you like modern -

Cerulean Rings, 41.25"x31.25", Matte Black Gallery Float · More Info

Gina N thanked everdebz
  • everdebz
    2 years ago

If you have human children or pet children, a few of these could be cute!

Framed Art Print 'Curiosity and Loyalty - set of 2', Jon Bertelli, 22x22 Each · More Info

• everdebz
    2 years ago

Little sunlight, a bit more sheen:

Uttermost 41410 Whispering Wind - 34.625" Modern Art (Set of 2) · More Info

Gina N thanked everdebz
  • everdebz
    2 years ago

Maybe decorative metal could complement, even match ceiling lights.

Contemporary Open Silver Metal Wall Art · More Info

Gina N thanked everdebz
  • everdebz
    2 years ago

a bunch on houzz.com / on brushed aluminum, some nature scenes and animals, and lots of abstracts:

Blue Verticals Diptych, 48"x36" · More Info

Gina N thanked everdebz
  • everdebz
    2 years ago

last one.

Modern Multi Colored Paper Wall Decor 38991 · More Info

Gina N thanked everdebz
Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH