SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_908595941

Wallpaper help! Trying to find spot for Phillip Jeffries “Flight”

Hello out there!

I’m looking for suggestions on how to use 3 panels of some Phillip Jeffries wallpaper that I had originally bought for our master bedroom and then changed my mind on. We’ve been taking our time updating and decorating our home, and the last “unfinished” room is our sitting room that has a sloped, 18-foot ceiling. The room has two large, open walls that are begging for something interesting, and it opens onto our entry hallway so it’s a nice, open space. Photos of the space and wallpaper are below. (The wallpaper on the reverse wall that you can see in the mirror will be removed and I’ll be changing the gold rug and maaaybe the coffee table - just ignore all the gold 😆). We’ll also be adding lights to the ceiling and probably a chandelier; the room isn’t yellow like it appears in the photo, it’s just poor lighting.

These are the two ideas I am thinking of, but I have a bad habit of having tunnel vision with this type of stuff, and I’d really appreciate advice.

Details: The three panels are 11’ each and width trims to 49.5” each.

Idea 1: I was thinking to install it above our fireplace since the blue glass tile is the same shade as the wallpaper’s blue background, but the wall width from end to end is a few inches wider and its height about two feet taller. Would it be a poor choice to bring the fieplace tile higher up the wall to meet the bottom edge of the wallpaper? And any good suggestions for the few leftover inches on the edge, like perhaps some trim?

Idea 2: Creating three ”frames” for the panels on the wall adjacent to the fireplace so that they look like framed pictures. Because this wall slopes downward from 18’ on one end to 11’ on the other end, I would need to trim the length of the panels quite a bit so the scale isn’t crazy.

Here are the photos, and thank you for any advice!

The wallpaper:

Wall 1:

Wall 2:

Comments (33)

• Running In Circles
    Original Author
    2 years ago

PS, if you click the photo, it will expand to show the full image

• Related Discussions

UPDATE: Unwanted Craft Supply Robins....Are In Flight!!!

Q

Comments (88)
    Nancy...GOT IT!!!! Thanks everybody for participating and hope you all got something you could use. Nancy thanks for your special additions, they will all get used, and as for everything else...it has either found a home in my supply closet or will be set aside for the next Craft Supply Robin. THANKS Nancy...and thanks eerybody else. I will be sending Janet another email...we'll see what happens....this is just a little frustrating since she was the last stop before the Robin comes home. Cross you fingers for me! Netta
    ...See More

Wallpaper Opinions Needed!

Q

Comments (55)
    hollybar-- and anyone else with grasscloth wallpaper-- do you have any pictures you'd be willing to share? I'm considering installing grasscloth wallpaper either above or below the chair rail in our dining room but am intimidated as I've never worked with wallpaper before. I need some encouragement! Originally I was thinking of adding it below the chair rail, but we have 3 cats so that could really be a disaster. The first house I bought as an adult had wallpapered bedrooms where the wallpaper had been painted over. The house was built in 1900 and I guess at some point a previous owner decided to paint over the wallpaper rather than remove it. I actually didn't mind the textured look... It was kind of interesting. Which was good because I sure wasn't about to try and strip off layers of paint and wallpaper.
    ...See More

wanting to try wallpaper!

Q

Comments (22)
    No one loves wallpaper more than I, but I am going to agree that wallpaper for the spaces you have shown us shouldn’t be wallpapered. Do the powder room or guest bathroom. There is no reason why a bathroom can’t be wallpapered if you run your fan when showering. One of the best brands is Thibaut. We use that in resort bathrooms and it holds up perfectly. What I would consider is painting the interior doors black. You have the perfect wall color and trim to do that successfully.
    ...See More

Wallpaper on a budget / Fireplace focal point

Q

Comments (12)
    Fireplace/wall looks very nice. I know when I get something in my head I want to do it…right then. An idea: take a look at all the wonderful removable wallpapers available from this site. You can have fun without any commitment. (Yikes, that sounds like an ad from Match.com). https://wallsneedlove.com/collections/peel-and-stick-wallpaper
    ...See More
  • Running In Circles
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks!! I thought so, too, when I saw it. I really enjoy wallpapers and have some throughout the house. I just jumped the gun when I bought it, but I hope I can make it work 🤞🏼

• Olychick
    2 years ago

Gorgeous! I would not make 3 framed panels because part of the beauty of that pattern is the flow of the clouds, which you will lose if you cut it into panels. I'm no help about the fireplace placement, but am wondering if there is another place...like an entry wall or ??. I think it needs to be more 'grounded' and part of it eye level. Hard to say without seeing your rooms in person. Maybe a hallway or powder room?

• Olychick
    2 years ago

could you get more of it if needed?

• Running In Circles
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Hi Olychick, thanks very much for the insight! So my entry way probably won’t work bc its wall is even taller, and I’d have the same problem 😆 I could do it in the breakfast area in our kitchen, but I want to try to make it work in our front room since its walls are big and bare! I can order more; they have panels with clouds only, but minimum order is 3 panels at about $2,400, so I’m not super anxious to do that.

This is what I had thought of if I did panels, do you think I’d lose continuity?

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    2 years ago

IMO that wallpaper needs a wall with nothing else on it and please remove that mirror off the FP since it reflects nothing worth seeing twice. I would not cut this up into panels . and the fact is that right now you only have from what I see one wall that might be able to work and that is the wall with console but the rest of the space does not work with thta wallpaper at all. The rug is nogo, so is the facing on the FP. Keep the wallpaper put away until such time as you redo that room IMO

• Running In Circles
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Hi Patricia, thanks for your opinion on the wallpaper placement, it makes sense. Regarding everything else, as I mentioned it will be changed out but for now it all stays as I would otherwise have an empty room. Ditto with the mirror, even though it means we have to see the reflection of the other wallpaper that is going to be removed. I disagree though about my fireplace, I enjoy it and will be keeping it as-is.

• Jilly
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I love your fireplace and mirror over it. Very attractive, artistic, and stylish.

I’m not sure what everyone thinks is a perfect view mirrors in rooms are supposed to reflect, but it’s posted here ad nauseam, so I guess I’m the only one who sees them as a positive in certain cases.

Anyway, I think your framed panel idea is perfect.

Running In Circles thanked Jilly
  • palimpsest
    2 years ago

I think I might commit to the matching plain paper. The panel framing will also be labor intensive, so it may be a wash.

For a covering like this I would talk to the installer about hanging it archivally so it can be removed without damaging it to any extent.

The guy I use hangs Zuber and DeGournay, and he has installed, taken down, and reinstalled the same paper in different houses since it is such an investment.

Here is what you've got, more or less:

• palimpsest
    2 years ago

Actually I think we need some hard measurements. I tried a tentative 3 panel layout and compared to what it looks like on the PJ website, I have a hard time believing you run out of panel by a couple feet over the fireplace, but that may be the truth:

Running In Circles thanked palimpsest
  • Olychick
    2 years ago

I can't quit thinking about this gorgeous paper. It's so appealing and has a calming effect on me. I decided to google it to see how others installed it and one thing that really jumps out to me is that it is almost always used to fill a wall that goes to the floor. I think that is the appeal of it, that it feels as though you are in the clouds with the birds. Hanging it up off the floor would make it less enveloping and you'd not feel a part of it. If you can at all afford it, I'd spring for more of it and do the full wall. I'm worried about the space behind the Christmas tree -what is that? I fear those two doorways, plus the fireplace is just going to break it all up and ruin the flow of it.
    Another thought I had was to have it made into a panel screen, no frames and as tall as you can do with the paper you have and place that on the floor in front of the full wall. maybe paint the wall one of the intense and deep colors in the paper.

Running In Circles thanked Olychick
  • palimpsest
    2 years ago

Guessing at the dimemsions from the information given, and that the doorways seem to be ceiling height or 8, this is what I come up with and I hung it from the floor up on the slanted wall.

The potential problems as I see it are that the plain cloud paper does NOT tie in at the top or bottom of these panels, but are essentially the identical panels as these, just without the birds.

Probably the assumption is that 11 feet is going to cover most walls and that the plain cloud panels can be used to tie in from side to side with panel one of the plain clouds lining up with the panel number four with the birds side to side. And the problem here is one of top to bottom.

• palimpsest
    2 years ago

Here are the Flight Bird Panels + the Flight Cloud Panels. As you can see Cloud 4 more or less continues onto Bird 1 and Bird 4 lines of up with Cloud 1 (As a 1-4 would continue if they were multiple sequences of all birds or all clouds)

But as you can also see, they don't line up from top to bottom

• palimpsest
    2 years ago

Regarding the wall with the console:

Is that sofa against another wall?

What is the Lowest ceiling height on that wall?

What is the Width of that wall ?

• Running In Circles
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@palimpsest thanks so much for taking the time to mock that up! That is so kind. I will get the measurements for the fireplace wall, but I think @Olychick brought up a really good observation that it may look best lower down towards the ground. Would it maybe dwarf the room being up so high?

I’ll get photos in better light and also measurements, and add them to the post (prob tomorrow). I’ll also take some photos of other spots in the house where it may work, but I reaaaaally want it in this room if it makes sense. And I can get the extra cloud panels if that’s what is needed.

Thank y’all again for your insight and time, have a good night!

• Running In Circles
    Original Author
    2 years ago

These are the other walls in the room. The wallpaper thats already there is coming down; I could put the panels on that wall but it seems like a waste bc of the sliding doors. I will get measurements tonight (I need help to do it).

• Jilly
    2 years ago

Your floors are gorgeous! Love your style. Whatever you decide is going to look wonderful.

Running In Circles thanked Jilly
  • Kendrah
    2 years ago

The wallpaper is very pretty in an extremely large space because the scale of the birds is huge. I don't think it will read well in panels or on a wall with door cut outs. Sorry. Unless you have another large open space with a huge wall, I wouldn't hang this paper.

• palimpsest
    2 years ago

This is what I think I would do, which involves getting the cloud panels and I don't know the room length so maybe another bird panel, but in for a penny in for a pound. Once you start going with specialized goods you either have to do it or not but there is no sense doing it halfway.

I feel like because of furniture and the ceiling height I would use cloud panels maybe 30" or so up the wall sort of like a chair rail height so none of the full birds are wasted behind a chair or something. Then I would do the same at the highest parts of the ceiling, clouds above the top of the bird panels. You may have to play around a bit and possibly use some sort of horizontal stripe like a ribbon or something to indicated that they don't match and you know they down match, cloud wise. And then I would paint the other walls the prevailing background color of the paper. Which may take some experimentation.

• Running In Circles
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@palimpsest sorry I’m a day late with this! The wall is 204” long. I am going to visit my wallpaper store and see about ordering some cloud panels. The console table won’t be staying (it’s just helping the room to not be empty right now) mso that wall can be unobstructed. Usinge the example you created above (thank you again so much for taking the time), do you think it would look good if I hung it even with the lower forner of the celing, like this? Or better to have it centered in the middle?

• palimpsest
    2 years ago

Well 204" presents a challenge because 49.5" x 4 = 198. So the wall is 6" wider than the panels and if I am counting correctly because of that, with your 3 panels you would need *7* cloud panels to fill the wall in general way I have designed it, but shifting things to add more panels for the extra width needed. So let me revisit layout and see what I can come up with to reduce the number of panels.

• Juice Jucinator
    2 years ago

I like it on the fireplace wall. can you increase the height of the brickwork to fill in the gap on the wall?

• palimpsest
    2 years ago

Here it is, to scale, as accurate as I can get it on the blank wall.

Because of the extra inches, you need 5 panels instead of 4, because the two panels on the ends are slightly more than half width.

So here it is dropped to the floor level and recentered and sequenced as:

Partial cloud panel 4

Bird panel 1

Bird panel 2

Bird panel 3

Partial cloud panel 4

This assumes you have panels 1,2,3.

It uses no panels above the 11 foot mark.

I don't like this one for a couple of reasons.

1) you waste an entire Cloud Panel because the minimum order is three.

2) you cut into the images of multiple birds

Since you waste an entire panel it's wasteful and may not be the least expensive option to proceed from here.

• Juice Jucinator
    2 years ago

Scratch that, make a beam of faux wood that is above the door and fireplace. then put wallpaper above. Then i would do some sort of minimal treatment for the fireplace wall like stucco

• palimpsest
    2 years ago

So here is version two:

Again it is two panels where slightly over half is used and three full panels.

This requires two extra bird panels, whatever panel you do not have and then whatever panel you need to add to the sequence at one end or the other depending upon how you lay it out.

I don't know how much more expensive bird panels are, but in this case I would hope you could just purchase whichever two you needed since you are an existing customer for the bird panels.

This one also has the advantage of being able to center the general pattern across the entire wall based upon how you want the birds to lay out. This is because you will have 5 panels but only need a little more than four. Likewise, you could start with a different panel, like 23412 etc.

Of course you would have to talk to the PJ rep and ideally the installer, to sort this out before finalizing.

• Running In Circles
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@palimpsest I think I’ll have to buy 3 panels since they are made to order, but I will definitely plead my case and see if they’ll allow me to order 2. What I ordered is panels 1-3 of number 7058. It’s all on me for not putting more foresight into this (it’s a bad habit!)... I just saw the paper and fell in love, and ordered it. I bought it early this year and am just now getting around to thinking about it. We unexpectedly had to gut and redo our kitchen this year, and that has been time-consuming - it’s just now wrapping up. And I was hoping not to have to buy more paper, but like you said, in for a penny, in for a pound!

• Running In Circles
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Juice Jucinator I could build up the fireplace, but after thinking about what others have recommended, I think it will look best closer to the ground. I’m also afraid that putting it above the fireplace will… I don’t know how to explain it… dwarf the room? It’s such a tall space, and I’m afraid if I put it up high, it’s going to draw the eye up and up. This poor room 😩

• palimpsest
    2 years ago

I also feel, although you did not ask my opinion, that the archway-type openings on each side of the FP look a little weak somehow architecturally , with the narrow wall on one side, and with the left arch being net to the wall and the paper above that may draw attention to it.

• Holly- Kay
    2 years ago

Absolutely stunning wallpaper!

• Running In Circles
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@palimpsest I agree, but the openings on either side of the fireplace lead through to the dining room on the other side. The side that is being blocked by the Christmas tree in the first photo has a built in cabinet with counter and book case that separates two rooms, but the right side if the fireplace can be passed through (although just the dogs do, we dont walk through it). There is a bedroom upstairs on the other side of the fireplace wall. I’ve seen a house on my street where they closed off the rooms completely from each other, but I don’t think that’s something I want to do here.

Here is the reverse side of the fireplace wall (seen from our living room) - it is usually the dining room, but it is currently filled with stuff bc of the kitchen and floor work going on. There is a central courtyard that the dining room opens up onto, so I like the light that it lets through.. the room I’m putting the panels in faces north and the roof extends over the front patio area, so it’s quite dark. Especially since we haven’t added lights yet in there!

• palimpsest
    2 years ago

I think it could be solved by dropping a small header, maybe to seven feet along the tops of those openings and adding a little bit of a separation that was like a small jamb to the left opening against that wall.

• palimpsest
    2 years ago

Something like this and then frame both doorways with a jamb. The far right wall looks so insubstantial to the height it supports. This would be something that rebalances the proportions a bit and would be relatively minor construction, given the price of the paper going on the adjacent wall.