SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tulevskc

landscaping a large side yard facing cul-de-sac

kathleen
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

We own a vacant lot next to our garage. It is backed by property owned by the Ohio Dept of Transportation (so it isn't maintained well unless I do it myself). We try to plant on our property to distract from the view of ODOT property. A fence is out because of cost and maintenance so we prefer greenery. We recently realized that this property has a CONCRETE road underneath it! I was digging and start unearthing large junks of broken concrete! (concrete from pre 1950's) So this explains why EVERYTHING (hydrangeas, hemlocks, holly, Serbian spruce shrubs, arborvitae) that we planted dies! I dig very deep, pull out concrete and the plants still die. The only trees that survived (maybe unfortunately) are three Black Locust, one small Red Bud, and One massive Linden tree)...We mulched with black mulch after this pic was taken. But we want Shrubs and Evergreens!!

I need some advice. The soil is unsuitable for planting. I could pay ($$$) someone to dig up the entire area and fill back in with good soil. (I hate to see the cost for this) ....or I could start planting in very large pots. I am in Cleveland Ohio (zone 5) what about the pot idea? Would this work?

Comments (36)