SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
3katz4me

Polishing the silver - do you?

3katz4me
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

When I moved six years ago I told myself I should either commit to using the fine china and all that stuff or just get rid of it and not even unpack it. I decided to keep it and even bought a beautiful, smallish, quartersawn oak buffet where I could display it. I'm having a little dinner party this weekend - just four of us - and finally decided to go all out. After all it's only four sets of everything to wash by hand. I'm going to use some antique sterling candle holders and antique sterling flatware my MIL gave me. It belonged to one of her inlaws and they passed it on to her and she in turn to me. She was a lovely person.

So none of this stuff has been used in at least 15 years - maybe 25. I'm doing a test run on the table setting today to make sure I have everything I want. I started polishing the silver this afternoon. OMG - quite a project - there are six place settings and my intention is to do all of them though I only need four right now. I got the candle holders and one place setting done and now I'm taking a break.

All my entertaining has been very casual since our parents died and we no longer host any holidays at our house. Like I said - I haven't used china, crystal or silver for many years. So at the moment the table is partially set including one place setting of the polished silver. I'm truly stunned by how beautiful it looks and I'm not even done yet. I'd forgotten since I haven't done this for so long. I know this wouldn't be a big deal for those of you who do this regularly but I'm gobsmacked. It makes me wonder how many people never have and never will take the time to enjoy and share the beauty of fine things like this. From what I hear younger people don't have time for it and frankly I didn't have much time for it either until I retired. So happy I decided to do it and fully expect I will do so more often in the future.

Comments (32)