SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_80524667430685544720

Original 1920s wavy glass window repair or upgrade to something else

Sara D
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

This is a question about keeping the wavy glass and having storm windows made or getting some new windows. I started thinking about this over 2 years ago. I originally was leaning to original windows which are redwood with single pane original glass. Now after two winters of cleaning condensation off the original windows (that do not yet have storm windows) I am thinking some double glazed windows might be a conveninet change.

Does anyone have single pane windows with storm windows in a USDA zone 9 or similar? Does the storm window keep the windows from having daily condensation when things get cool overnight? How is the energy efficiency improved with the storm windows. Is it a pain to change them out for screens in the warmer months? Or do you eventually not bother making the switch on all the windows? Anyone have those storm windows that are hinged and can be pulled up out of the way?

I have been two years in the process of planning my 1920 bungalow remodel. Planning took a long time then Covid hit. The contractor I was set on using had more of a 'preserve what you can of an old house' mantra. He has had my plans since July 2020. Appearently he only looked at them recently. The bid he submitted this week (Dec 2021) was 2.5 times the amount we originally talked about. This staggering bid let me open the door to invite other contractors to bid. My immediate response (after reading a lot of posts about contractors on houzz) was that he no longer wanted to do the job, so had given me a very high bid.

After letting the bid settle in my brain, I replied to the contractor email that with such a large an investment I was obligated to get other bids. His follow up indicated it wasn't a brush-off bid. He was serious!?! The part of the explanantion for the bid that was most appauling was when he basically said "the property market has made your house more valuable, so you can recoup a more expensive remodel cost if you decide to sell."

Can you imagine? Are you charging me more because you are factoring in how much more my house will be worth IF the market continues to increase for 3-5 more years? What?

Besides a sense of betrayal, my feelings about the house have changed a lot in the last 2 years. I don't think I will be here for more than a couple years after the remodel is done. So I don't want the best of the best. I want it to look good enough to sell. I don't know if I care about preservation. With a different contractor, I want to explore other options. I know the custom redwood framed windows the contractor priced were super expensive, and there were only 2 to replace but multiple to renovate. What are the other good options? I want to be environmentally minded too, whatever I choose should have a decent life of service.

Comments (15)