SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
woodnative

Teaching off-leash dog to "STOP". come

woodnative
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

2-year old neutered medium sized mixed breed, adopted by us (from a shelter overseas) a little over a year ago. Good dog with a bit of energy. We live in a suburban neighborhood with mostly smaller sized (e.g. 1/5- 1/4 acre) properties/homes. He usually gets at least two and often three walks a day. At the end of our street is a small park/playground.....a grassy area with a couple swings and slides. This is rarely used by kids. There are houses (some fenced, some not) that back up to most of the park on two sides. The third side of the park is adjacent to woods (part of a property owned by a pharmaceutical company). There is a fence there except for some openings cut into it which are used by deer, fox and other wildlife that seem to pass from the woods into the neighborhood esp. at night. Anyway, a couple neighbors frequently walk their dogs and we will let them off leash in this park to run and play a bit. Our dog plays well an 99% of the time good about coming when calling him. He is also VERY food motivated. My problem is if he is REALLY interested in something all bets are off. One time a couple months ago there was a cat in the park that I didn't see and he took off after it chasing it out of the park and between the houses. He returned shortly after but would not stop chasing and come at that time. I am not worried about him actually hurting the cat, more worried about him running through other people's properties, possibly chasing their cat, and especially worried about running into a street and getting hit by a car. There is another house with a boxer and "invisible fence". I do not know if the boxer is people/dog friendly and previously he would not go near that yard. In the past few days he went onto that property twice....the dog was not out, but there were obviously lot of really good smells around that yard and he was sniffing about and did not want to return at first. The other problem was one property owner dumps leftover food in the park (bread, etc.) on occasion. This is sort of out of the way section, but our dog knows there may be free food there now and runs over there. Once again I can call him back unless there IS some food in which case he want to go and gobble it (self-rewarding) before I run over and take it away. I am also worried one day he may try to chase something through a hole in the fence into the woods (never happened). The couple times he was distracted he came back relatively quickly......just worried what could happen in a short time. On the other hand I like that he can be off-leash a bit, interact with the other dogs and run freely a bit. People often compliment on how well behaved our dog is. He is well behaved on leash, with other dogs, and comes (99% of the time) when called. I can put him in a sit/stay and walk across the park, then call him to come etc. I just need to figure out how to train him to STOP and return at ALL times. A dog I had growing up would stop......he is mostly good but occasionally gets focused on something he should not. Suggestions?

Comments (5)