SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sbm321

Stocking stuffers for 20-somethings

Sueb20
2 years ago

Has this subset of giftees been covered yet? I just found out that DS’s GF will be here for Christmas. Stockings are still a tradition here, so I need to do one for her too. Looking for ideas (she’s 27, outdoorsy, an engineer but also a girly girl who likes beauty products) for her stocking, but would alao appreciate ideas for my two 20-something sons. Every year my DD’s stocking is overflowing but I get stumped on the guys. Trying to avoid candy.

Oh, just remembered the GF likes tea, so that’s an idea. Fancy tea suggestions?

Comments (50)

• eld6161
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Bomba socks

Sephora products for hydrating and cleansing the skin

Burts Bees lip balm

Mini puzzles that come in test tubes

Sueb20 thanked eld6161
  • jill302
    2 years ago

Clinique has cute small gift sets such as this, found at Ulta -

They also have two other options a travel size mascara with eye make-up remover, and a small fragrance set. Each less than $10. Fun nail polish and cute socks are always good too.

For my 20’s guys a keyboard cleaner, luggage scale, candy or beef jerky. A small brain teaser puzzle from Amazon. Also, a single serving size bottles of an unusual liquor found at a local liquor store. Last year I included Bloody Knuckles Hand Cream, recommended by someone here. I bought it at Target. This was a big hit.

Many of my stocking stuffers will work for any adult.

Sueb20 thanked jill302
  • Related Discussions

I need help! Free stocking stuffers!

Q

Comments (111)
    Mine arrived yesterday in great shape! I can't wait to watch! I've got two weeks off work beginning the 20th! Virtual Dinner sounds good! Thanks again for your generosity. It's beginning to sound like the roar that began with a ripple in "Pay it Forward" acts of kindness. What a wonderful, uplifting thing especially this time of year! The true, giving spirit of Christmas. Deanna
    ...See More

Stocking Stuffers, any new ideas? LOL

Q

Comments (10)
    I just bought stocking stuffers for my 2 GD's. They are 8 and 5. My daughter recommended hair barretts, flashlights, little notebooks and I got them each a new pen and they had little game books with word search and other assorted games like you do in the car. I also got them ornaments. they also each got a small assortment of bath gels etc. I bought almost everything in the Walgreen's drugstore! All the suggestions so far have been great. In the past I've also put in lip balm, mittens, socks and underwear. A nice silver dollar or a 2 dollar bill is always fun too. Oh and I got them chocolate candy shaped like a big penny at the William-Sanoma store! Joann
    ...See More

Let's talk stocking stuffers

Q

Comments (26)
    I love these card sets-- I used to get them at B&N but my local store doesn't sell them anymore. I went on a hunt and found them at this online store-- FlorentineShop This is the style I use as my "signature" but they have so many styles to choose from! They're perfect for short notes to go with a gift, to add to a mailing package or whatever calls for a short note (I hate writing long notes longhand so I use them a lot!). I would be thrilled to get them wrapped as a gift or in a stocking! This may not be a design you love but they have many to choose from (many with an Italian focus) and also memo pads, sketch books, journals, etc. They also have wrapping paper in many of their designs. I just love this one-- but of course, they have holiday designs also,
    ...See More

Let’s talk stocking stuffers

Q

Comments (45)
    My three are all full fledge adults. Doesn't change what they get. #1 an ornament--DH makes them now. #2 a crafty thing we can all do as we eat brunch before opening gifts, lego kits are most common. #3 candy- #4 something something; this year an assortment of spatulas DH's company made and the customer pulled out and left a palate. #5 whatever I collect over the year that I find they might find fun, different for each. It's a lot less stress to have a formula/tradition I have found. Happy St. Nicholas Day btw--many of what used to get put in their shoes now shows up in the Christmas stockings.
    ...See More
  • Funkyart
    2 years ago

Always glad for this thread each year as the men/boys are the hardest for me. I need a few little things for my 19 yo nephew so will be watching.

My nephew (and one of BIL's) really appreciated the items i got from Duke Cannon last year. He especially liked the Bloody Knuckles hand balm.. BIL liked the cream cologne.

Thermoworks has some fun stuff.. I got myself a Thermopen One which is great if any of them grill. I also thought this Thermodrop zipper thermometer looks useful-- especially for those who ski or who are in colder climates.

Clinique for Men Shave Cream - one of my old bf's used this and now it's all i use to shave my legs. Love it!

Smart plug for outdoor outlets (from Big A.. i can get a link if needed)

Sueb20 thanked Funkyart
  • deegw
    2 years ago

I am looking for ideas for a young man as well. I already purchased the bloody knuckles and the giant lip balm. I like the backpack thermometer idea!

Sueb20 thanked deegw
  • bpath
    2 years ago

Funky, I got the Thermodrop for my guys and a GF for their stockings. DS and his GF are outdoors a lot. Last year the son in an apartment and my brother got Thermopens, they fit well in a stocking (though alittle pricey for stockings, imo).

Sueb20 thanked bpath
  • Funkyart
    2 years ago

Bpath, I love thermoworks products. The infrared thermometer gun i bought for BIL2 has been a surprising hit (though it won't fit in a stocking! I can't wait to use my thermopen one! I'd have bought more of them but my siblings have all switched to traeger grills which have meat thermometers included.

• Tina Marie
    2 years ago

Nice socks are always a hit. A belt, gloves, etc. If they ski, walk in cold weather, etc. the little heated packs that can go in gloves (handwarmers). If they like magazines, a subscription. You can put the card (or make one) in the stocking. Some men like lip balm and the hand cream is a good idea. Tickets to a sporting event. Several times I've put a nice pen or mechanical pencil in my husband's stocking. For the girlfriend, hair accessories. Lotion, lip balm, etc. Foot cream and a pair of the footies you can wear to bed. Earrings. Nail polish and other nail care items. Does she wear scarves? A great smelling candle would be nice too.

Sueb20 thanked Tina Marie
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    2 years ago

sunglasses, yeti, deck of cards, airpod case, phone case, mini games, cardholder with gift cards in it, waterproof beach wallet with giftcards

Sueb20 thanked mtnrdredux_gw
  • Fun2BHere
    2 years ago

Mini disposable nail files are a nice gift for all genders. They can fit in a small storage compartment in the car for those times when you snag or break a nail.

Sueb20 thanked Fun2BHere
  • beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
    2 years ago

Nordic Socks (www.thenordicsocks.com) which are 50 percent off today for both GF and sons.

For GF, too big for a stocking, but Bioderma Atoderm shower oil in the 1-liter pump bottle. Heavenly and luxurious for winter showers especially if you spend lots of time outdoors. I usually get my sons a big bottle of the the Jack Black shampoo/body soap.

Love Mariage Freres tea, esp the Rouge Bourbon. They used to come in nice little metal canisters, I don't know if they still do.

I always get my 20-something sons -- and daughter, and girl/boy friends -- phone charging cables lol. They go through A LOT of those. Funky, I just got my 21-year old son a selection of those indoor and outdoor smart plugs for his birthday last week.

Also got my sons each a Jil Sander/Uniqlo leather belt. Seconding the idea that a good leather belt is always nice to get.

Sueb20 thanked beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
  • terezosa / terriks
    2 years ago

Beckysharp - have you bought the Nordic Socks before? I really like the looks of them.

• tishtoshnm Zone 6/NM
    2 years ago

For the gf, maybe a reusable shopping bag that folds up for her purse. Other options are the towel head wraps that someone mentioned a few days ago. At Target, I recently picked up some nice ballpoint pens by Rifle Paper Co. They come in an attractive box to boot.

For any gender, oxo makes a keyboard/electronics cleaning brush.

Sueb20 thanked tishtoshnm Zone 6/NM
  • bpath
    2 years ago

Say, I like the cleaning brush, good idea.

• localeater
    2 years ago

Headlamp, booklight, reflective vest. Running mittens or gloves.

Try to find things not packaged in plastic, it may be appreciated by the recipient.

Locally made soaps, shampoo and/or conditioner bar. We like Harney and Sons tea, my sons particularly like the apple spice and london fog. They have different tin collections. I bought the apple spice in the ”discovery of insulin” tin. Pretty note cards, a nice pen, dry shampoo.

Sueb20 thanked localeater
  • beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
    2 years ago

@terezosa / terriks no, I haven't bought them before, but a friend has and I really like the look of them too. We live on a farm in Alberta, and all of us like nice socks. First, they need to be warm, but bonus points for aesthetics!

• bpath
    2 years ago

I like to give from a local shop or producer.

Ooh, a small shop near me has CoolSnowGlobes that come in a range of sizes and prices. The small ones fit in a stocking and are not necessarily seasonal. But so pretty. I’ve given a few of them, and the GF is getting one this year (a medium size, not stocking).

Here’s a pretty one. It’s not a mini.

Unfortunately, it looks like they are low on the minis. Even though they are designed and sculpted in the US, they are assembled in China, and seem to be stuck on a ship for now. My shop had some, though.

Sueb20 thanked bpath
  • legomom23
    2 years ago

Quality socks- smart wool or darn tough, expensive but last forever. we did airbnb gift cards for that age group last year. And I’ve seen them on wedding registries lately too.

• Funkyart
    2 years ago

Troegs is a local brewery here in so central PA-- but i happen to know it is available in the Boston area. If you are fans, they usually have a great range of product for the holidays-- this year stock is low but here are a few things that might work for you.. chapsticks and soaps with some of their beer flavors (Mad Elf is a winter only beer).

Not for a stocking but i send Troegs beer cheeses made in collaboration with a local cheesemaker a gifts too.

• smiling
    2 years ago

Joining jojoco to vouch for the Darn Tough socks. I've ordered from them for years, beautiful workmanship and quality. Merino wool, many choices of weights, cushioning levels, task specific designs (hiking, snowboarding, work-boot). Lifetime guarantee! Just a hint not to wait, they are already sold out of some styles. Equally satisfied with men's and women's socks.

Sueb20 thanked smiling
  • Sueb20
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Lots of great ideas here! Yes, DH is obsessed with Darn Tough socks. And we like Bombas a lot, too. I bought some fun pairs for DD’s BF.

I just went to target and found the bloody knuckles hand cream, and some sheet masks for the young ladies. I also found a cute book for the GF.

Getting anything like beer or, say, body wash is tricky for DD and GF as they are traveling by plane so whatever we give has to be easy to pack.

I got middle DS an Air b&b gift certificate last year, which he really appreciated.

Target also had mini bottles of prosecco that are cute so I got those to include with my BFFs gifts.

• nekotish
    2 years ago

We now have a longterm boyfriend in the family, whose family lives on the other side of Canada so he will be spending Christmas with us. My daughter to whom the boyfriend belongs, begged us not to go overboard for him, so I am concentrating on bulky items for his stocking. A microfibre carwash mit, car wipes, nuts of various kinds, sugar free beef jerky, A pint glass from one of his favourite breweries, sharpies, tie wraps, crazy glue, duct tape...

• nekotish
    2 years ago

Also, I have gifted several young men in our family with a bottle of beer, a disposable loaf pan and the dry ingredients to make a loaf of beer bread. They have all been suitably impressed with themselves for "making bread."

• bpath
    2 years ago

Ooh, sharpies! Great idea!

My brother just bought a new car, maybe I'll get him GCs from the nice carwash.

I'm also going to get him a little hand vac for the car, one that plugs in to the lighter. Is there a good one, with enough power to really suction up the crumbs? Maybe a power brush attachment? It has to be able to charge from or power off the 12-volt. (I realize it calls for a pretty big stocking.)

• pudgeder
    2 years ago

For my son, I get Best Damn Beard Butter.

Just ordered that & the Bloody Knuckle cream @ Target. It's 25% off Cyber Monday only.

Whoop! Whoop! Y'all are helping me wind up my Christmas shopping!

• deegw
    2 years ago

Has anyone seen a cyber Monday discount code for Darn Tough? I even signed up for their email which often gives you a nominal discount and the welcome letter didn't include a discount!

• jojoco
    2 years ago

No, just free shipping if you spend over $50. Big whoop

• arcy_gw
    2 years ago

All mine are 20somethings..three of them gals...I bought "the only pairing knife you will ever need' from Swiss Army. I find hand towels for the kitchen with fun whimsical sayings. They all love the Swedish dish towels, candles are HUGE with this age...ALWAYS an ornament to remember the year or an event....For me stocking shopping is an all year event. I pick up small trinkets as I come across them, something that fits that person when/if it appears. I squirrel things away in a specific box. I am often AMAZED what I find in there come December!! I had forgotten this or that..like the knives I heard about last summer so bought 6 of!!! LOL

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Can you travel with a paring knife in your carryon? hmm probably not. I am not sure if they’ll be checking bags or not. It would actually be a good gift for DS/GF because when I was visiting them, I noticed their knives were lousy.

Oh I forgot, I also picked up a candle at Target for the GF stocking. I might be all set with her!

This exercise reminds me that I have another GF to buy something for. She is newer (maybe 6 mos or so), belongs to oldest DS, and is quite quirky (like him) and I don’t know her as well. She won’t be here for the holiday but seems like I should get her something since I’ve now gotten the others gifts. She wears funky jewelry, will probably look on etsy for a necklace.

• Funkyart
    2 years ago

I posted earlier but it disappeared on submit-- hopefully they won't both appear! I have a meeting in a few so this will be abbreviated.

My sister and I each just picked up some quirky Riverstone jewelry for ourselves and I had these two selected for a niece who loves color-- these were both under $80.. She has many other colors and styles, I just happened to have these saved. I especially like the styles that can be worn as bracelets (wrapped) or necklaces. They run a little over $100. Riverstonejewelry.com

There's really a lot to choose from-- i only save those that work for me. They aren't all so colorful and cheery :)

Sueb20 thanked Funkyart
  • tishtoshnm Zone 6/NM
    2 years ago

If you need one more thing to go with the candle, you could look for some of the rechargeable candle lighters. It's supposedly more eco-friendly since it does not end up in the trash when used up. I need to order one for my daughter's stocking.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    2 years ago

Don't forget lottery tickets...

Sueb20 thanked Annie Deighnaugh
  • lizbeth-gardener
    2 years ago

Any idea where to look for a simple opal pendant necklace?

• hhireno
    2 years ago

1) Silk pillowcase- gentle on skin and hair. I don’t consider them a high maintenance laundry item, but I’m not a 20-something. I wash them in a lingerie bag in the washing machine and hang to dry.

1a) Lingerie bags for washing silk pillow cases and other delicates

sueb, a friend had a candle confiscated from her carry on. It’s probably one of those items that may or may not get confiscated, depending on the agent working the scanner. Maybe switch the candle gift to the other kid’s local gf?

Sueb20 thanked hhireno
  • Feathers11
    2 years ago

I bought these Basecamp cards--a regular set for my young adult kids, and the kids' version for younger nieces in my family. They're great for road trips instead of electronics. We've had some interesting conversations.

https://basecampcards.com/

Sueb20 thanked Feathers11
  • pricklypearcactus
    2 years ago

For outdoorsy people, here are some ideas.

• headlamp
    • buff
    • insulated wine or coffee mug
    • multitool
    • hydration tablets
    • small / keychain bottle opener
    • metal reusable straws
    • beanie
    • fire starter
    • compass

REI and Backcountry both have nice stocking stuffer sections.

Sueb20 thanked pricklypearcactus
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    2 years ago

Can you travel with a paring knife in your carryon? NOPE

And yes, I have seen them take candles away.I suppose when melted they are technically a liquid? IDK

Reminds me, there are really cute matchboxes I bought last year. Vintage, humorous, etc.

• deegw
    2 years ago

I think the problem with the candles is glycerin. One of my kids had a candle-making kit in her bag that she received for Christmas and she got pulled aside because it set off an explosives screening.

Sueb20 thanked deegw
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    2 years ago

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Oh that’s a cool outlet.

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Just ordered two decks of the basecamp cards!

We enjoyed having hydration tablets when we traveled to Africa on safari— thanks for that reminder, prickly! My hiking kid and my college athlete could both use some.

ETA I also ordered the Oxo laptop cleaner for all 3 of my kids!

• Funkyart
    2 years ago

Hhireno - thanks for the reminder! I have bunch of slip silk items in my cart! Bloomingdales had a gift pack called "Hair Hero" that sold out-- so i made my own that was even better!

Mtn-- TY! Never saw the outlet covers with usb! I just bought the power protectors with them. Now I need 10 outlet covers!

• texanjana
    2 years ago

Great ideas! DH installed some of the USB outlets in our kitchen last year and I love them.

• lascatx
    2 years ago

If you have Mac users, you might want to look at a Blockhead -- they allow you to plug in the charger flat against the wall, Ten One Design has some other neat techie gifts too.

I'm giving some Native Deodorants. Not my usual for a stocking stuffer, but I got some of the limited edition ones for fun - Sugar Cookie, Candy Cane, Mistletoe, Oak Milk Latte, Earl Grey Mulberry.

And if you saw the banana caps in the Uncommon Goods catalog but don't want to pay $25 each to try one, try these. You don't get the knitted mini-hat, but that is just a cover that would make them more cumbersome to use and get left on the counter or ultimately lost of become cat toys. I searched for a silicone cap and tried a set (not this exact one). They really do seem to extend the life of the bananas. I've always hated how they last a day or two if you are lucky dn and suddenly all go at the same time. They still all go at the same time, but more slowly. The ones I ordered came in a clear ziploc bag and they sell a few or a lot in a package, so you could divide them for many gifts. The ones I got came in a simple ziploc bag, so they would need cute packaging.

And I will mention that Philosophy Kiss Me Lip Balm again -- good stuff.

• Renovator Girl
    2 years ago
    • Multi-head screwdrivers. SO handy!
    • Stamps and a box of blank notes. I like the Crane ones with initials.
    • Postcard set for something the recipient loves. Art? Their home state? Wildflowers? The great thing about a really nice postcard set is that you can send them OR frame them.
    • Magnetic fridge frames and some photos.
    • Local goodie--figure out whether the recipient likes sweet or savory flavors and go from there.
    • Firestarters. We had ones that were like wrapped candies--like these ones--and they were wonderful for starting campfires.
    Sueb20 thanked Renovator Girl
  • Renovator Girl
    2 years ago

WAITAMINUTE! How about Bic Cristal for Her pens?

Read the reviews (very important) and you'll know if they're right for your son's girlfriend!

• tishtoshnm Zone 6/NM
    2 years ago

For thinner, fun socks, my daughter turned me onto sockologie. I bought a pair of these smart a** socks for both DH and one of my sons. There's a wide range of fun socks. They shipped pretty quickly, too.

• deegw
    2 years ago

I just remembered a place that has fun socks and other things for 20 somethings and kids, a Colorado-based company called Askels.

https://aksels.com/

Sueb20 thanked deegw
  • User
    2 years ago

Avoid Bomba socks. they're super expensive and many of mine are stretching out and badly puckering after only a few months of use.

For decent fun socks, Richer Poorer and Hue are good quality.

For other stuff, I suggest consumables like candy and snacks. If you want them to be fun and interesting, go to World Market, or an Asian store (like H Mart or Daiso). Or if you want them to be fancy, go to Williams Sonoma.

Sueb20 thanked User
  • Sueb20
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Really? That’s surprising — I’ve had Bombas for years and haven’t had any issues.