SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
angela_shults

exterior paint color HELP!

J Kildman
2 years ago

I want to paint this dated brick and siding a soft white, maybe SW Alabaster to modernize the home.

A couple of questions...

1. Should I remove the existing shutters?
  2. If not, what color do you think they should be?
  3. I was thinking about painting the front door a grayish blue color, unless you have another suggestion
  4. What color do you think the gutters and downspouts should be?

Comments (39)

• HU-187528210
    2 years ago

Whitewash the brick.

Darker trim.

Match the shutters to the door if you keep them.
    I like the gray blue idea. Like dusty blue.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

yes remove shutters.

your house is almost exactly like this one. Paint the brick, do some board and batten, add on a porch overhang and redo landscaping.

If youwant to paint the brick, use a product like Romabio

they have The Classico Limewash,

or, they have the Masonry (more of an opaque coverage. used here w/this house. and these are the colors she used (it can be tinted any color)

remove that horizontal siding and instead do a vertical board and batten.

Shasta White

I do like the Simply White on the brick w/some darker trim colors, maybe a charcoal, wood accents

Dont forget the lanscaping. that's 75% of the overall curb appeal look.

they did the brick in black on this one.

Gray w/wood accents. a little more modern farmhouse look

• J Kildman
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks! Should I keep the downspouts white or paint them a color (maybe charcoal)?

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago

if you want them to be noticed, paint a contrasting color. if you want them to disappear, paint them the same as the brick.

or maybe you like a copper look? just depends on the overall color theme you're doing.

• Debbie Downer
    2 years ago

I dont know but why is it that just about every single exterior color question on this forum involves brick? Dont wood houses ever need painting? Wish brick painters would post "trigger alert" in their subject head so we snowflakes can avoid them - LOL.

• Debbie Downer
    2 years ago

Don't think "modernize." Think more in terms of harmonious color schemes. You have a big mishmash of colors there and just painting brick white is not going to fix it. YOu have blue or bluish shutters, a kind of lavender gray (?) roof, greenish 2nd floor siding, terra cotta brick, and yellowy beige trim. I would keep the brick (it really is a nice muted terra cotta, not the dread orangey look) and rethink all the other colors - get them in sync. THAT will do far more to improve the look. Chasing after "modern" is a futile act - what one person considers modern and up to date has already jumped the shark somewhere else.

• decoenthusiaste
    2 years ago

Your MLS photos don't properly enlarge here. This is not the kind of home to convert to modern, and painting the bricks won't help. Widening the front steps and walk, and doing a bang-up job on new landscaping would help more. Remove the shutters and use the Alabaster on gables and trim. Black for the front door with brass hardware, knocker and kickplate. Brass lantern lights 1/3 the door's height.

735 Buttercup Trace · More Info

• J Kildman
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Hi Debbie Downer - if I kept the brick as is, what color would you recommend for the shutters, gutters, siding accents (the back is siding) and the front door? Thanks!!

• cat_ky
    2 years ago

I would keep the brick just like it is too. Painted brick, and white cabinets, are everywhere, and quite honestly, it takes away from the personality of the house. Your house, just needs the colors to all go together, since there are way too many colors.

• J Kildman
    Original Author
    2 years ago

What color for the siding if keep the brick?

• Debbie Downer
    2 years ago

What color is that roof exactly, hard to see clearly. Are you keeping it or planning to replace anytime in near future? Roof color often doesnt matter, but the one section of yours is pretty visible from the front. It's kinda looking blue gray on the bottom pic. Is it possible to see clearer,closer up views of brick and roof?

• J Kildman
    Original Author
    2 years ago

The roof is gray and here’s the brick. It needs to be powerwashed too

• grapefruit1_ar
    2 years ago

I agree that yoir home is very beautiful. I would NOT paint the brick, but would do all trim in a medium sage green with possibly an eggplant door.

Adding professional landscaping/hardscaping will make your home sing!

• Jennifer Hogan
    2 years ago

I am in the don't paint the brick camp. There is a difference between modernizing and trend following. Right now every other post on exterior color is about painting the brick white. Uggghhh - entire neighborhoods are going to be white painted brick.

Your brick is lovely. Dark gray, dark blue, sage greens and black is going to be suggested by many. I have a home with brick similar to yours that is from the 60s and has the classic Cherokee Red siding and cream trim. I love it. Just updated your photo to show what it would look like.

• Jassie
    2 years ago

white and black or grey is a good combination.

• J Kildman
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Does this color work for the siding if I keep the brick color?

• J Kildman
    Original Author
    2 years ago

More exterior pics

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago

looks like it works. it may look like the siding on this home (this brick is a bit redder, and it has more accents, and a brown roof)

darker, bronze tones. your door needs to be refinished. try a walnut stain or paint it a contrasting color

I think some darker tones would look better w/your roof color. this one or the next one

• tozmo1
    2 years ago

Before you finalize a paint color, get the mildew off the roof. I have to have mine done every four years and I'm always surprised at how much brighter the entire roof looks, even the parts that don't appear to have mildew. And I too am in the don't cover the brick camp. It's nice brick.

• J Kildman
    Original Author
    2 years ago

What do you think about sw sandbar for the siding and sw creamy for the trim along with black shutters? Then a moody blue or green for the front door?

• RedRyder
    2 years ago

Are those colors for the siding around the front door? The creamy colors near the door allow you to paint it anything you want. I would also paint the siding on the peak in the front the same.

• J Kildman
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Yes I was thinking of using SW Sandbar (darker shade) to replace the existing green color and SW Creamy for all the trim color.

• A S
    2 years ago

I just played around on photoshop to change the colors. The roof isn't purple. It's gray. How do these colors look? I changed the trim to a cream color, black shutters, black front door and SW Sandbar for the siding peak on the garage.

• RedRyder
    2 years ago

Wow, that was really nice of you @Angela Shults! Looking at the mock up, the black shutters don’t work for me. It makes some windows look black and some white. I like it better without the shutters. What do you think @Three Baby Peaches?

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    2 years ago

IMO using limewash from Romabio on the brick will create the appearance of a vintage estate in the country. I think that could be very charming.

• A S
    2 years ago

mock without shutters and moody door color

• RedRyder
    2 years ago

Nice! I also think @BeverlyFLADeziner has a good suggestion. It’s not covering the brick completely but it gives it an old-fashioned look that can be charming.

• A S
    2 years ago

Here's a mock with SW Alabaster for the brick and a gray trim

• A S
    2 years ago

oops forgot to add the last on. SW Alabaster with light gray trim, gutters, etc.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago

I also like the french county look if you limewash the brick

You could have something like this look

here's how it would look w/white siding

or, you could do the white wash, and switch out the siding in the gable to a wood shake. (not the heavy posts, just look at the gable)

refinish your front door, bring in some diff lighting.

want a larger porch? landscaping is nice too

I'd also do something cute w/that little inset area between the windows. take out the grass, do some pavers, potted plants, etc.

• J Kildman
    Original Author
    2 years ago

If I don’t paint the brick... does Sandbar look like a good choice for the siding and the peak over the garage? And then a creamy color for the trim? Should I remove all the shutters?

• tozmo1
    2 years ago

I like the sandbar not sold on the creamy but it's so hard to tell from small samples.

• J Kildman
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Are Agreeable Gray or Wordly Gray too gray against the orange brick?

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago

is there any chance of updating that siding to a board and batten? (in the gable) I think it would look a lot better. Shouldn't be that expensive

basically the gable would resemble any of these

Why not get some samples of your colors and just try them out? it's so hard to judge from paint chips. just paint the samples on the siding yourself.

• A S
    2 years ago

Here's how the home looks with black window trim. Here's agreeable gray for the siding on the gable and side of the front door. This looks still seems not right. THOUGHTS??

• A S
    2 years ago

Here it is without the shutters. Since there is siding next to the front door, what color do you think I should make the front door?

• J Kildman
    Original Author
    2 years ago

And here’s how the front door area looks

• rpwoodard
    2 years ago

@J Kildman, in your original post, you mentioned you’d like to modernize your hiuse. is that still one of your desires? or are you simply looking to ”freshen” the look?

If so, I agree with the others who recommend remiving the shutters.

also, I wouldn’t use traditional-looking light fixtures.

Updating the walkway would help freshen (or modernize) the look.

Enjoy the process!

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!