SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
plllog

“Tis the Season for Seasonality?

plllog
2 years ago

I was watching one of those holiday baking shows on Food and a contestant was dinged for making little turkeys as decorations out of strawberries because strawberries are for the wrong time of year. ???? I think I missed something. Maybe they're not for November in Michigan (North state famous for great produce), but even when I was a kid, before all the long distance growing seasons, we had strawberries in Nov. and Dec. as holiday treats. I think they may have been hot house grown, and relatively expensive, but good. Yeah, this is Southern California, and our growing seasons are longer and at different times than the snowy North, even with the hot houses, but if they were so out of season, why did the person who made the turkeys even have them available on set? Was this a trap?

I was in Germany in Dec. when I was young and they had pineapples for a Christmas treat. I assume they were flown in, given the price, but people were buying them. Then there's the tradition of the oh, so valuable orange in the stockings because they were such treats (and travelled and stored well, as do pineapples).

I posit that out of season And exotic fruits are themselves a holiday tradition! What do you think?

Comments (10)

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus