SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
justinandlaura1

Backyard privacy screening options that blend into nature?

justinandlaura1
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Hi there - I was hoping to get some advice on options to add some privacy screening along our iron fence line. We really liked it open as it allows for a very expansive unobstructed view past our yard through the neighbors and into their back tree line and from where we sit in the house it makes it feel like we live in a much larger natural setting versus a square city lot. The iron fence kind of disappears to the eye and makes it feel like its a wide open space.

The issue is the couple who used to live there (NEVER EVER came out side) has sold and the new family moving in has a bunch of small kids and will very much be using their yard all the time. While we have no issue with that at all, we are in a different place in life and our yard is my sanctuary away from the high stress busy work world and I very much value my privacy and really don't want to see others in my yard. Given how wide open and large the fence line is....its VERY intrusive when anyone is in the next door yard. Direct line of sight into our yard, hot tub, house windows, etc, etc. I also want to have the freedom to do whatever I want to in my yard without worrying about what their kids will see. I love the pool and hot tub and cocktails and always changing outside. Plenty of adult gatherings and parties, smoking and joking and whatever fits our fancy. As a father, I wouldn't want my youngsters having a front row seat to grown adult stuff all the time so I am thinking about how to add some kind of screening that would solve both the privacy issue AND maintain the natural beauty and natural expansive feel. We added the hedges last year to help screen out the view from our windows to their windows, but it's still not that much of a barrier. For scale, the area we put the screening shrubs is 30' long. The remaining unscreened fence line is another 75' long.

Open to any ideas from plants, trees, fence screening materials, structures, etc, etc.

I've included some pics of the fence line as well as from different vantage points (from house, from spa, etc to show the impact of the view if we did a hard fence material). Ignore the batting cage, that may come out as we don't have a need for it.

Thanks all!

Comments (4)