SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jsparkman215

Backyard Privacy Screen

J Sean
7 years ago

Hello! I live in zone 8A (North TX) and am looking to create a natural privacy screen in the backyard. Attached are a couple of pictures that should help illustrate my situation. (I took them from my back porch)

As you can see, the retaining walls are slanted and I will need something that grows tall (& preferably wide too)

i thought about planting Italian cypress along the back fence and some eastern red cedars near the fence I share with my next door neighbor. I was considering these because it would create a year round privacy screen.

One concern I have with this idea however is that since Italian Cypress grow narrow, it would take so many as the back fence will require at least 40ft wide of coverage.

My next door neighbor fence line will require even more coverage (50ft+) - which is why I'm leaning toward the eastern red cedar along this fence line.

The backyard gets full/all-day sun (really hot N Texas summers) and the soil is a reddish grey clay.

I was hoping by posting here I could get some other suggestions/ideas or possibly let me know if my current ideas might work. Thank you!

Comments (3)