SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
quentinjamesp89

Are my expectations ridiculous or are labor costs just ridiculous?

Quentin Parker
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

I've been completely blown away when we've gotten estimates for small jobs, particularly ones that require unskilled labor. Are my expectations unrealistic or am I just getting unreasonable prices?

I got an estimate this spring to mow and weed trim our lawn (it's a city yard; our lot is 0.13 acres, more than half of which is taken up by our house, two car garage, and two car driveway, plus flower beds and concrete pad). The price we got was $90. Needless to say I'm still struggling through it.

We just got an estimate of $250 to haul away some carpets and tile (enough to fill the bed of a pick up truck). The disposal fee would be around $30, so I know that around $220 is for the less than an hour it would take to load those few items, drive them to the landfill and unload.

The cost from a random handyman to put up five sections of privacy fence panels was $1000. The cost to tear down an old wooden ramp that was installed for the previous elderly owners was between $6-700.

While costs to refinish the floors and install carpets and more skilled labor like that from professionals all has seemed very reasonable to me, I'm quite taken aback by these prices. I did years and years of college and graduate school and internships and have a job that requires professional skill. My salary if you break it down hourly still only amounts to a small fraction of what those hourly rates would be. We don't live in a large city or on the west coast, and the cost of living in our area is a good amount lower than the national average. Are these types of labor costs the norm or am I just somehow getting ridiculously overpriced estimates?

Comments (42)

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath