SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aliris19

No wall: where oh where to put the stove?? (ridiculously long!)

aliris19
13 years ago

I have been reading and reading and it seems there are folks on this site who actually like and want to offer layout suggestions?! My am I impressed. I am so over my head here with a house remodel, an empty cavern where the kitchen should be and complete naivete as to how to proceed. I had no idea there were so many issues. And I am now completely flummoxed. I barely know where to start. If you-all can help I would be enormously grateful.

What have I done? Well, I bought a Samsung french door fridge at a good price, so that's set, FBOW. I have determined that trying to fit a slide-in range into an island is a nightmare: the downdraft problem looms. We really planned this house around keeping a wide-open feeling and I am afraid that using a hood will ruin this effect. That said, there is no question this is as light and open and airy a house as ever I've been in, save for the occasional modern house that is literally all glass. We seem to have spent a fortune on about twice as many windows as we need. In fact, we probably need fewer windows and more wall space. I would put the stove against a wall if only I had one!

We have been trying to build cheaply as funds are limited. I am worried that insufficient advance-planning will now cost us $$$. We *can* move walls or add a hood or even remove a window, etc, if it is any of it needed. It seems that not using a hood may wind up being more expensive than doing so by the time, for example, you add a downdraft and possibly even wall ovens, which I'd hoped to have avoided for cost-purposes. ouch.

I have read all the FAQs and links to suggestions and requests for information, etc. It's all a lot of information and hard to take in. I plead guilty to a number of errors so far: we did plan the rest of the house with the details of the kitchen to come later. I am first and foremost a cook, and this has made me inordinately depressed. I cannot now cook for my children, and haven't been able to for months and I am feeling very, very unhappy about this! It makes moving forward very hard... In addition, it has been a very long time now since I have cooked 21 meals per week (as I once did), and I am actually beginning to forget my own 'style'. Moreover, my kitchen-stuff is packed away and while I could get it out and inventory it, I'm leery of this; there's hardly time to get anything done as is, much less adding another task to the mix.

So. Enough of complaining. I will try to upload a couple pdfs now... I might perhaps have to make an offline picture-holding site first! And I am trying to answer the long, long list of questions asked for by buehl when requesting layout help.

Here goes. This is going to be hard and make for one long posting here! My deep apologies...

Goals: well, I am a clutterer and basically cover all available counter-space. I'm not sure this argues for more of it though; it would just get covered regardless. It may argue for better planning and a place-for-everything. But I know it would never get to its place. I don't know the solution, but would venture that more counterspace would be desireable than less, and that, therefore, at least planning cabinetry for appliances if possible, would be wise? [answering your questions has already been very helpful, buehl -- I had never articulated this in my mind before]

Storage: I use mostly fresh vegetables, few canned goods. Many dry pulses and have dozens of glass storage jars for them. I think they are pretty and I do like having them handy; I use them for baking staples as well (flour, oats, sugar, etc). I had thought to build a pantry-cabinet in which they could be stored on a shelf and therefore visible and handy at once. We live, however, in earthquake country; the shelves would have to have some sort of block on them if possible.

Seating: Though hardly babies, my kids seem still to like to be near to do homework; I think seating in the kitchen would be helpful for study-purposes but not necessarily eating-purposes. We'll have a formal dining room with vast pass-through attached (this could be shortened though it was designed this large for light-access), as well as eliding the kitchen with a family room which is also all about space and light. There will likely be a table in the family room as well and so perhaps seating space at the kitchen itself could be sacrificed altogether....

More on the goals-thing: Using fresh vegetables so much there is a lot of cleaning and chopping prep work. Huge bunches of greens take up a huge amount of apace. I guess I could try somehow to accommodate that reality. This planning-thing is kinda mind-boggling for one accustomed to just making due. I make-do quite well; planning is not really part of my skill-set. :( So back to thinking about this sort of cooking-style: it involves a lot of water/sink work and a lot of grabbing of stuff from the fridge and going back and forth between fridge, sink and counter. In this instance a work station would likely be best-served by a work triangle as there is a lot of swerving. A goal would be to have a large prep area.

Gosh ... this is all arguing, I think, toward placing the range underneath the passthrough, with a hood overhead. I had thought this would be a really bad idea, trying to pass hands over a space where a fire might be going. However, I am usually the only one cooking, and in fact I rarely get anyone to help with table-setting anyway. Those rare instances when both stove might be going and table being set, there would be enough room to pass-through to the side of the fire or even just walk-around; it's not as if the entrance to the DR is really that much further away...

I know I just said this, but *gosh* your solicitation of reflection on these matters is being helpful....

Islands: I have actually never much liked them, but not sure this is avoidable in my situation. As I am usually the only one cooking, a U-shape galley with everything close actually seems to work well for me. I think the size I have will force me to this conclusion anyway. What I don't like about a center island is the feeling that it's always in my way as I swivel between sink and fridge and prep area. My thighs are permanently banged up from this by now.

Family composition: 2 ad, 1 pre and 1 full-fledged teen. They like to help, but all are busy and things usually devolve to me.

Entertain? No. We all work too much. And quite frankly, my aforementioned packrat clutter has over the years come to make me feel very self-conscious about my home in this community of spic-and-span foreign-labor-driven lifestyles. I am from the northeast US and the style there is not so foreign to my own, but it is very unusual around here where kitchens seem to appear as if readied for a photo shoot 24/7. It's kinda intimidating and eventually I stopped inviting people in to what I thought was a *warm* kitchen. I would *like* to entertain everyone for miles around, and maybe it would be possible to if I didn't feel quite so cramped...dunno whether that's just wishful thinking. But hangout, everyday heart-of-the-family type space is the goal.

Flexibility: windows are in place and gas is in, but easily moved: it'll have to be I think. Water is to the right of the cut-out by necessity as there is no subfloor beneath the cutout. This limits the line-length for water somewhat. The pass-through is cut out already, but can be altered easily. IT can all be altered somewhat; it just costs more. I'd rather things cost less than more, OTOH, as stated so ably by many, the kitchen is what it's all about.

What's a baking center? I bake a lot. I've always stored baking goods together so they can be grabbed onto the counter in a batch when mixing something up. I like the old-time baking hutches that used to store flour and sugar in pour-bins atop a work space ... is that the sort of thing you mean? Sounds highly-nifty. Perhaps I could put that in the area designated for the pantry and stash a couple wall ovens over there as well (dh hates the idea of them intruding on the walkway there though). This would leave way for a cooktop rather than range, which would permit a downdraft and keep oven in the island. This option might be more expensive, though, than a range and hood under the pass-through....

Trash. I make little of it. Previously I kept two 6" x 6" inch square plastic mini-milk-carton-type things from the dollar-store on top of a bread box. This was my garbage and recycling bucket. I set about 4" worth of trash in our giant black bin on the curb each week. More recycling, however -- that's unavoidable given the post office's pricing structure. Everything else is composted. I suppose perhaps one would want to plan a spot for the compost near the sink.... imagine. I have always fantasized about a trash bin that hinged inside and outside (passed right through the outer wall) so that you didn't need to carry trash outside manually, but could drop it in from indoors and scoop it out on the other side of the wall. Anyone ever done that? Probably there would be a prohibitive insulation-problem.

Coffee/Tea/Beverage: no need I don't think. No soft drinks in our fridge. We do have a coffee pot but it's not a fetish. My MO is to make and immediately ignore cups of tea all day long. While I have never had a MW, it is for the purpose of reheating these endless stream of now-cold water mugs that I think we should now obtain one. It could also, potentially, be an additional oven if a speed oven/MW could be obtained. [and speaking of which: rats. My tea is stone-cold now.]

Snack center? What on earth is this? I think the answer is no perforce.

Appliances: Samsung french-door fridge. Would like to supplement range's single oven with a wall-oven that can double as convection/speed cooker and microwave. However -- I don't know where I can fit this in the current configuration of the kitchen. I mentioned building out a wall and dh was not thrilled, to say the least. But I think this might just be something I want to insist on. So, dear planning-helpers... if you see a need for a wall to house a wall oven, please help me decide how and where. The current absence of obvious space for this shouldn't limit us as I suspect this is something that's important to me....

I had been thinking a range would be cheaper than stovetop and walloven/s. But if a downdraft has to be added to the mix because of the hood problem, then this might not actually be the case. So I'm really quite flummoxed about this. But maybe, just maybe, sticking a hood over the pass-through and getting a range for below it would work better. Ya think? This is the heart of my dilemma.... your feedback would be hugely appreciated.

Microwave -- I would like to get this as a second-oven and therefore want the appliance to double as an oven. Just which of the many confusing appliances that only sort of approximate this ideal I would get, I do not know. I am sure, however, that it will cost more than I had been planning to spend!

What's a rangetop, how's it different from a cooktop?! geesh....

I would like two ovens, so if I get a range, then that would be one and the speed/MW would be the other. If I go with a cooktop, perhaps to accommodate a downdraft, then I would get two wall ovens (sounds expensive, as does two wall ovens and a downdraft. I know JennAir makes a downdraft range but everyone seems to hate it. I think there are several choices of cooktop with downdraft attached. I believe space underneath the cooktop is the limiting factor making ranges that accommodate a separate cooktop scarce. There is one Dacor that can accomodate a separate downdraft in its slidein range. It is hugely expensive (and beautiful-looking!)

Warming drawer? What's that? I think the answer must be no again. I think if I don't know what it is, I probably don't want it.

I understand OTR MW/Hoods don't really work very well. OTOH, they could obviate the need for finding wall space for an oven ... that might kill three birds with one stone. Not what I had wanted, but.... I wonder how high I can put those things for them to not do their job very well?

MW: I had been thinking countertop, but given the soul-searching of above, I'm thinking it better be builtin.

DW: standard. I think those drawers look pretty freaky. I know people love em. It just feels like an accident to me (oh whoops, how'd that DW get in *there*??)

Fridge: phew. Got something decided at least. Over-the-fridge cabins will necessitate moving a grill (grrrrrr), which we'll probably do despite the cost as it seems too valuable a space to give up on so easily.

Ventillation hood: now this is what started it all, so in grand-circle style fashion, let me repeat: what on earth do I do about the hood-problem? And why, BTW, is it even a problem? I didn't grow up with a hood -- I have never had a working hood. The one we currently have functions primarily as a habitrail for rodents.

Pantry: there's a nook builtin across the 'hall' from the kitchen for this purpose. But I am wondering about making it a baking center, whatever that is....

What can I live with/can't live without...? Dunno; I have always made do one way or another. All of this is luxury. But I guess, oddly enough, the one thing I was willing to compromise is perhaps the thing I most want: counter space. [What's with that???]. I guess I would loooove to have 6 or 5 burners, but presumed that was beyond our means or space. But .... what if the range went against the pass-through, there was an OTC/MV/Speed oven there too, and the island became one giant prep surface, perhaps even angled against the sink-wall for more comfort (in deference to those banged-up thighs). Might that work?? I can live without any of it ... except for the no-kitchen and stress aspect. I can't actually live *with* this, so it's really gotta go. Again, your help is mind-bogglingly appreciated.

OK all, this thread is horrendously long and I apologize deeply. But it has been most enlightening for me! Again, I am just astonished that there are people out there who like thinking about this stuff and would be willing to weigh in with suggestions. Just even the possibility of your generosity has helped me to start trying to get some coherent thoughts together. You have been helpful already with nary a word posted (except that long list of hugely helpful Read Me First hints).

Thank you, dears. I'm off to open a photo-account now...which I actually seem to have achieved, amazingly.

Allow me to explain that there are 3 jpgs uploaded. None is completely accurate as to where things are now. The downstairs floorplan show a previous incarnation of a peninsula that didn't get built and isn't currently in my thinking. The space is all that's there, no counters. But this floor plan shows how the kitchen space fits into the rest of the house. The next sketch shows just the kitchen-family room space and there's a table drawn in that isn't fixed, I just forgot to remove it before uploading. The last photo is a sketch of our architect's thoughts about the kitchen. But it isn't working so well for me for a number of reasons outlined above. But it shows the approximate location of the wall that's there and the pass-through. In truth, these dimensions aren't completely accurate either, but close-enough for sketch-work I think.

I hope I am posting correctly -- please forgive if not! I am not completely clear as to where you want sketches posted and whether you really wanted me to be writing all this blather. Seems to me a little lengthy, so again, apologies if I've misunderstood. And mostly, thanks in advance for any thoughts offered.

Here is a link that might be useful: aliris kitchen hood dilemma

Comments (38)

• juliekcmo
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Great Post. Thanks for giving so much detail.

Let me ask you 1 fundamental question. If you had to choose between function and appearances, what is your goal? From reading your post, I would assume function.

If this is true, then I recommend you allocate your budget on the best equipment you can afford, and then fill in cabinetry and finishes as the remainder of the budget allows.

I suggest a 6 burner all gas range (which gets you a large oven and a gas broiler, and a 6 burner range top. You will get a lot of bang for your buck with this). Then if you really need a 2nd oven, do a wall oven with microwave above. Get a quality hood on the range. This means venting outside. You could put the range where you now have the sink, and have the sink by the pass through.

Now to answer some of your questions. Range tops have higher btu burners like on a pro style range. Cooktops have lower btus, more like a standard gas range.

Since you do so much cooking with fresh ingredients, I suggest looking at a sink with a drainboard. I have one on my island, and it is great. Here is mine. If you only have 1 large sink, they come in full sink sizes too.

One last idea is to really plan the space for 4 adults, so you family CAN help in the kitchen. If there is no room for them to safely help, then it isn''t really their fault that you are the only one working in the kitchen.

Have fun!

• laxsupermom
    13 years ago

Here are your sketches for the layout gurus

• Related Discussions

Oh, Lord...this breaks my heart (long article)

Q

Comments (1)
    Oh my, this is so sad and really upsets me. What will happen to all the animals who thought they had a forever home? Vique.
    ...See More

Where did I put that? Did I unpack it?

Q

Comments (26)
    I've been packing for our big move (which happens tomorrow!)into our new house and labeling EVERYTHING. Seriously, the sides of my boxes have labels detailing almost everything in it. I'm hoping to place an order for my cabinets in a few days and once those arrive in a few weeks, our kitchen will be gone. I have no idea when I will be able to see my cooking and bakingware again, thus the obsessive labeling. These posts are getting me excited about what's to come... our new kitchen will have so many more drawers and cabinets as well as a dedicated coffee/wine space and walk-in pantry. I have no idea how I'm going to reorganize myself, but I suppose that is part of the fun! (2 "homes" for scissors... what a brilliant idea!) BTW, I'm originally from NY (therefore, I'm a total bagel-snob) and have yet to find any bagels elsewhere that compare. On my list, however, is homemade bagels to satisfy those cravings... now if I could just find some lox around here... Oh, and I, too, am totally confounded about men... my husband's excuse for never unloading the dishwasher is that he can't figure out where things go. After all these years... the hilarity of this is that by the time my daughter was 15mos old, SHE was telling HIM where to put the colander, measuring spoons, etc.
    ...See More

Point of order: floor plans

Q

Comments (12)
    I'm in the "In-Progress Kitchens". I still haven't put in a backsplash so it's not done yet. I was hoping to do it this fall/winter, but I was just laid off so that money is now being saved in case I cannot find another job quickly. Something more important always seems to come up when I finally have enough money saved up for it! (Washing machine, new car, and now no job! Oh, and now, I find out my DS needs $4K for a trip to Germany, Switzerland, & France this summer w/his school's Jazz Band. OK, we knew it was a possibility and I had even hoped to go with them, but the timing is lousy!) I do have plenty of storage. I even have room in my kitchen for two sets of dishes...winter dishes (Snow Bear) and the rest of the year. I was also able to move most of the kitchen items I used to have stored throughout the rest of my house into the kitchen as well as have room for two cabinets to be display (they were originally slated for dishes, but I found I didn't need them for that!) Pantry...yes, I have two pantries...a quite small corner pantry to the right of my ovens and a downstairs overflow pantry that's a little bigger...but not by much! My pantry thread: http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg1122521925815.html Link to my downstairs pantry pics: http://s182.photobucket.com/albums/x108/Buehl/Pantry/ aliris19...planning a kitchen right can take a long time...often much more time than it will actually take to construct it. That's the nature of projects like this. If you take the extra time to plan it right, there will be fewer "surprises" and regrets later. Also remember...it's far less expensive to fix problems while planning than during construction or even after the fact. So, take your time and do it slowly to get it right! You will be much happier w/the result if you do. Oh, and don't let anyone pressure you into getting it done now. Stand firm and tell whoever is pressuring you that you are not ready and that you want to take the time to do it right! Here is a link that might be useful: FKB In-Progress Kitchens
    ...See More

Still working on this no-walls layout

Q

Comments (28)
    Talking about your snow will make me very, very depressed. I grew up in snowy country and am relegated to snowless-land. I miss the snow with a vengeance. Looking at everyone's pictures of kitchen windows with bare trees and even a peek of snow here and there just kills a little part inside of me each and every time.... Anyway, rhome, your point about separate washing areas cleanliness-wise is sensible. I worry always about the whichamacallit in the chicken (blanking on the bacterium). I had been wondering about that one single mega-sink, wondering why a divider was necessary. And I guess that's the answer; you can't keep germs contained. [salmonella -- that's what it is]. OK, so if I did put in a prep sink, would you put it at the corner across from the big sink? Or along the island edge across from the fridge? Or somewhere else...? And yes, it drives me absolutely nuts when dirty dishes interfere with food. Food should be kept clean until it reaches your gut!
    ...See More
  • aliris19
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for repositioning the drawings, laxsuperguru.

Juliekcmo - definitely function. Form can follow it but I'm pretty nonplussed by form alone, IYKWIM.

Can you really put a range in a bay window cutout? Or were you thinking of losing the glass there. I guess I'd be sad to do that as I did add that cutout specifically to the house! OTOH if it makes everything considerably better... I'll think about it. I take it the OTR hood/MW (do they make a 240 Adventium OTR?) is just no good so you'd get a separate oven and MW?

I have been wondering about those drainboards. I really want a double sink I think, though you could probably get one and build in a drainboard on the side for all that. IME water gets everywhere from them too, but I will look into that. Do you think having the sink underneath the passthrough is not a problem then?

Thanks!

• ControlfreakECS
    13 years ago

If you got rid of the upper cabs to the right of the sink, could you put a range there? I am not much help, because I also have no upper walls and am probably putting my range on a peninsula and have resigned myself to a hood over it that will obstruct some view.

This will be a very unpopular statement, but depending on how you cook, you could get away without a hood. I grew up with an island cooktop and downdraft. I would say it wasn't adequate for my mother, but she made due. She has the same thing in her home now, but it broke, and rather than have it fixed, she's been getting by without. However, just being her and dad, she doesn't cook like she used to. I know that I need a good hood, because DH and I set off the smoke alarm in our house once a month. :)

• byronroad
    13 years ago

What are the actual measurements of the kitchen allotted space? (I can't read it from the plans and don't know how to make it bigger). There seems to be a lot of wasted space in the middle but the drawing may be deceiving. Between the counter and the table is there a sliding glass door or just windows?
    You have something marked as Hall that looks like it is actually a passageway from the LR/DR into the kitchen and there is a short 2" wall that doesn't seeming to be doing anything. Is is actually supposed to be in the drawing? The first one (going from L to R) is the end of the counter run which is where the Fridge (?) is supposed to be, I'm wondering about the second one. Thanks
    Hints: You have really thought about how you use a kitchen and what you want from it - so a starting point is to think about your old kitchen and think about what you liked about it and what you hated about it. (I don't mean colours, types of appliances etc) Walk yourself through it when preparing a meal, and then cleaning up. How would you change it. Instead of thinking about it as this big hole in your house that has to be filled - which is very daunting - try to put some structure to your thinking - even if the basis is your old kitchen. It gives you a better concrete platform from which to start your thinking about what you need/want to change.
    Go on the internet and google U-shaped kitchen plans or G-shaped kitchen plans (with a peninsula) and see if you can find one as a starting point. Right now it seems like you're looking for a starting point which can then be altered if necessary. Stand in the middle of your empty space and imagine yourself prepping, walk around in it (my husband used to stare at me with a funny look when I was doing this).
    Oh and by the way, if you didn't already know this, drawers will be your new best friend for storage and ease of use in the kitchen. For all your clutter, what about an appliance garage where things can be stored, either appliances (toaster, mixers etc) or either counter junk that you can throw in when people come over. Those perfect houses that you see all have a big junk drawer or ,like us, we load up all of our counter junk into a basket and put it in our bedroom and when everyone has left bring it back out again.

• aliris19
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Controlfreakecs, I dunno what I can get away with no-hood-wise. I grew up without one, and I've never really had one since, either. I do set off the alarm occasionally, though only when I make pancakes and forget to open the doors. I actually have no idea what it would be like to cook with a functioning hood. My parents renovated a few years back and put in a popup downdraft. As for yours, it seems to work well-enough given that they don't actually cook too much anymore.

I'd be perfectly happy to skip the hood but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be able to get it inspected. I've even been told I need to get a *disposal* to pass inspection. I compost everything and have zero need for a disposal ... grump. So, while I'm not positive, I am pretty sure that I must present some sort of venting mechanism.

• marcydc
    13 years ago

bryonroad wrote:

"we load up all of our counter junk into a basket and put it in our bedroom and when everyone has left bring it back out again. "

LOL. Laundry baskets do work well for that and you've got the laundry area close by!

• aliris19
    Original Author
    13 years ago

byronroad: what a funny image, loading all your junk into a basket and hiding it in the bedroom! I'm pretty sure I haven't the fortitude for that.

Thanks for the proceeding-suggestions. That little online journal I wrote last night riffing on kitchen utility will in itself help me a lot. I'll try to do as you suggest. Finding quiet moments for this is hard.

I have measurements: the back wall underneath the cutout is 13'-1" from inside wall to wall before it bumps out into the cutout (that's an outside wall). The outer wall beside the cutout is 15' from pass-through wall to midpoint between the two windows. The small pony-wall at the entrance is 30" meant to shelter the fridge, probably. And the distance from the back pass-through wall to the beginning of internal structural structural wall is 94". That internal wall you were referring to is structural and has electrical wiring within -- it can be lengthened but not shortened. It's 49.5" The space across the "hall" that's designated for pantry and a coat or broom closet is 94" too. The plans call for the distance from middle of pass-through wall to outside of outer family room wall to be 28'-2" -- If that's a little off it won't matter to our layout here because I don't think we'll be putting cabinetry out that far.

I'll try to explain the layout verbally -- oh, but if you want to see the plans larger, I'm pretty sure you can follow the link I posted and blow them up via photobucket.

You said "between the counter and the table is there sliding glass door or just windows..." -- do you mean across from the space marked "pantry"? (Which is just a nook currently, floor to ceiling, no doors) -- that is just open space; the chimeric doorway has hash marks but no actual threshold or doors is planned.

That short 2" wall has electrics in it and is structural -- it's currently planned as edging an island -- not sure if what I was thinking of as an island is what you meant as the table. That 2" wall is 49.5".

It all looks very large until you start gunking it up with cabinets, then suddenly it feels small. I whip between giddy elation and terror regularly. Reaching out to you-all is a major improvement!

I could also post a picture of the space if that's at all helpful?

Thanks a million.

• aliris19
    Original Author
    13 years ago

A couple other important-to-me thoughts:

I have many very heavy cast iron pans. Basically, I just keep them on the stove; they're too heavy to lug about. But having heavy-duty storage near the range would be important. And I suppose if I actually splurged for a 6-burner range, there would be more storage space up there... ;)

Speaking of storage: the advantium 240 looks better and better. I'm not clear as to whether there's an acceptable cheaper alternative, but even if so, I think it would have the same need of rack-storage space very close to the oven itself. It sounds as if there's a lot of swapping necessary to make alternative cooking modes work and unless that equipment is right nearby, it's all too easy to let this become an unused toy.

TIA.

• Buehl
    13 years ago

The location and layout of your kitchen in your fist pic (full-house) are very similar to mine. The two main differences are (1) I have a wall along the side opposite the bay window to house my cooktop & hood and (2) I closed up the entry to the FR a bit to accommodate a corner pantry since I had no other place for one (I really didn't want to close it up but I really had no other viable, to me, choice).

Hood vs no hood - I really think you should think about this. My parents don't have a hood and you can tell...the grease/dust build up around the range (walls & cabinets) as well as the ceiling. Some people say they don't need a hood, but I always wonder if they really cook much or whether they do much more than boil water. I really don't understand b/c I don't do any frying and very little browning of meat, and yet it's amazing the amount of stuff I find when I clean the squirrel cages of my hood every few months. I also think that people don't really realize what's happening to their cabinets/walls/ceiling without a hood. Also, keep in mind that windows, doors, and walls are sealed much better today than they used to, so there is less fresh air being brought into the house in exchange for "polluted" air (from cooking, etc.).

As to a downdraft...I used a Dacor telescoping downdraft in a rental for a week and it was pretty much useless. In reality, downdrafts only work for items that are both right next to the downdraft AND shorter than the top of the fan by a few inches.

You should also know that cooking surfaces that are not against the wall are subject to more and stronger air currents than those against a wall. With a very open floorplan, that means odors, smoke, steam, etc. will spread quickly and infiltrate the rest of your home and linger for quite some time.

I also have to say that just b/c something works for someone (or they're making do with something) that goes against good kitchen advice, doesn't mean it should be recommended for others...which I see happen here quite a bit (more so w/seating overhangs, but hoods also fall into that category).

In your place, I would either get an island hood or look for ways to put my range against a wall...even if I had to erect a wall segment for the range & hood.

Here's what I have. I find a shallow but wide "U" to be a great setup for housing Prep & Cooking Zones and to help protect the Cooking Zone & range from traffic in and through the kitchen.

If you'd like, I will see if I can come up w/something for you....

• Buehl
    13 years ago

Are these the dimensions?

• aliris19
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Buehl -- thank you so much for responding and offering to don a thinking cap.

The dimensions you list are correct except the 15' along the bay window wall actually extends not to the middle of the window, as you've drawn, but to the middle of the wall between the two windows. FYI, the dimension you've actually drawn turns out to be .... hmmm... it appears this copy of the plan you amended was from my file dnstr.jpg which isn't quite accurate. As it happens there are two windows now along that wall beyond the cutout as depicted in kitchen blank.jpg . Sorry for the discrepancy. I didn't actually ever measure the dimension you show and it's not on any plans -- I can measure it if it matters, but as my plan was for those counters to extend further anyway it may not matter to you. Let me know, please, if this explanation is fuzzy. I wonder if I can get it to put those dimensions on the drawing myself.

Which reminds me: what software do you-all use for playing around with this? Is it specialized or is there some easy way to make do? Years ago I bought a microspot layman CAD program that had a learning curve I just couldn't come up to speed with...

Thanks tons.

• Buehl
    13 years ago

I use Microsoft's PowerPoint. The thread linked below has a description of what I do....

Meanwhile, is this correct?

Here is a link that might be useful: Thread: Modifying A Poster's Layout

• aliris19
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Buehl. your link to cimputer-hints looks terrific; thank you. I'll modify my plans according to your suggestions in a momennt; can't now. for the moment, please note that no, the 15' is beyond that point you draw, inbetween window "H" and "B" -- the counter is sketched in on this layout -- it's where that counter goes to the wall that the 15' ends. I'll try to do it later if you haven't beat me to it.

I think it's really, really neat that you like to do this stuff....

BTW, the plans you're writing into are +/- to scale, so it couldn't be that the bottom length is 7'10" while the upper at just a little bit further along is 15'. Actually, I can tell from this sketch that the line you show should be 94" + 27" = 121" == 10'1". Not as big as originally thought! And so the remainder would be 4'11".

• aliris19
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I'm going to try to post a copy of the PP file I've made to indicate true dimensions:

It worked! How cool is that...

So I guess the question is, what is the minimum wall length required for a useful stove? I have always wanted one of those big 6-burner ranges but hadn't really thought, I dunno, they were in the cards for me -- I guess they feel a little pretentious. But the truth is I really would love to have one and would certainly use it, a lot. Trouble is I also like to have stuff to the side of the stove (oils, spices, etc), so if I go to the larger stove too, that would be a large expanse required for a stove....

I was thinking maybe that electrics wall could be extended to provide a place for the range. Dunno. But I do hear y-all that sticking a range on a wall is a way-better plan if at all possible.

I find this very despair-inducing and once again, must mention my appreciation for the help.
    The wall at the corner is 30", BTW.

The files are all at photobucket...

Here is a link that might be useful:

• murphysview
    13 years ago

Hi - we had same problem - we tore down the walls to open the kitchen up - found a web site that is full of ideas on this type of kitchen - I have used some of the ideas and they are working - especially the use of the drawers and the island -
    good luck

Here is a link that might be useful: Kitchen Interior Design

• houseful
    13 years ago

I understand the desire for open and light, but to me, closing in that pass-through would be the best solution.

• bmorepanic
    13 years ago

This is a conceptual drawing - not a plan.

People here are rabid about hoods because it really helps keep the kitchen clean and odor free. In general, given the same cfms, a wall hood will work better than an island hood which will work better than a downdraft. Its simple physics - combining the fact that hot air rises with a wall hood's ability to remove more fumes because one direction is cut off from drifting fumes.

There is a lot of fear about island hoods, but there needn't be. Generally speaking, you buy a big enough motor to set the hood up high enough (30-36") so its not in your line of sight. The hood should be wider than your cooktop - if you get a 36" rangetop, you should get a 42" hood. The hood also needs to be deeper than your cooktop. So if your burner area is 20ish inches deep, you should really get a 27" deep hood. The few inches to the front, back and both sides increase the amount of fumes removed - the fumes spread out as they leave the surface.

This uses a cooktop so you could do a downdraft. If you're not big on fried food or grilling, that could work for you. There are some now that rise up about 14" or so and be all reports, they work for their users. I've never had one and can't speak to that. The basic problem, other than trying to overcome basic physics (hot air rises) and its position at the rear, seems to be that if the downdraft has power, it can suck the heat from a gas flame or create enough turbulence to extinguish a flame.

{{gwi:1972095}}

• juliekcmo
    13 years ago

Here is how my 36 inch range looks with 24 inch counters.

Here you can see the counter depth, the transition to the stove depth, and the stove. The total depth of the stove from wall to front as installed (gas inlet is behind stove, which takes up about an inch ) is 31 inches.

This stove is NOT counter depth like a Wolf. That is because a counter depth range is too shallow to take 2 sheets across. Mine is deep enough to take 2 jelly roll pans, or a "lunch lady" sheet pan. The full commercial size pan. With this large oven, I don't feel the need for 2 ovens.

The overall amont I spent for an all gas range and hood was less than I would have spent for a gas rangetop and double ovens and hood.

I do a lot of baking, and just love the gas. It also has a gas infared broiler, which is fantastic.

My hood extends 24 inches from the wall, and since it is against the wall, the capture area works very well.

• aliris19
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi all; thanks.

bmore: thanks for the conceptual plan. Can you tell me please: is "R" Refrigerator and "O", Oven? Then there's a cooktop in the island and sink underneath the pass through... I think I get it now I start to write it out. Will this give enough cabinet space?? I hadn't thought of many of these ideas, so I'll play with them some more. Thanks.

Hoods: Yes, I see the use. Funny thing is, never having had one, even after all these years I've had no comparison to really understand that the unpleasant gunk which settles all over everything up high, could be mitigated with a fan. I never really realized that. I think the almost wax-like sealing patina of beigey gunk is probably volatiles from the gas flame settling up and down. Since leaving home at 17 I've hated and fought that muck but I'm having one of those a-ha moments realizing that -- duh -- this is likely what the whole hood-thing is all about. Not so much the occasional setoff of the fire alarm as preventing all the gunk from building up on your cabinets. And likely more importantly, in your lungs.

I get it now.

Thanks all. I'm really enjoying the suggestions.

juliekcmo: can you tell me the brand of the stove? I hadn't really thought about these sorts of industrial stoves but I will look into it. I can see how this route really could save money in the long run. Buying all the features á la carte is surely pricey. I take it you like the range. Another thing about these types of commercial ranges is my stereotype that they're meant more for show than use. This seems to be often the case in my neck of the woods (LA), but obviously needn't be, and shouldn't reflect on whatever *I* choose to do with it. It may be, as many here are advocating, a good solution.

• juliekcmo
    13 years ago

Hi, My range is a Thermador. All gas. We remodeled about 10 years ago, so mine is the model that was replaced with the model with the star burners.

And yes, I love it. Nothing computerized. Gas broiler is outstanding. And as I said, it is deep enough to hold large 18 x26 sheet pans.

We have a 600 cfm best by broan hood that is on the wall venting directly outside. Hood area is 24x36.

• bmorepanic
    13 years ago

Yes, you've got it.

I don't really know how much storage you need but you've got above the sink, about 5 feet tall, shallow storage, the pantry and the broom closet. I think I'd do drawers under the window seat too.

I forgot something about downdrafts. Most of them can't be used with a range. There are a few makers (dacor is one) who support using a their own downdraft with some models of their own ranges but void the warranty if you use any other range or downdraft. People SHOULD be able to do this, but the mechanics of a downdraft mean its a crap shoot as to whether any given one will be able to fit with any given range.

• Buehl
    13 years ago

You might also consider a "dual fuel" range...one w/an electric oven + gas cooking surface. However, I don't know if you can get dual fuel in a pro-style range.

I've read from many here & on Cooking (or Appliances) that electric generally works best for the oven (baking, etc.) while gas works best for the cooking surface. As I have all electric and rarely bake at my parents (all gas), I can't attest one way or the other. It's just something to think about.

One advantage of separate appliances, though, is that with a wall oven you can mount it higher than the oven in a range. This allows you to mount it at an ideal height to reduce bending & lifting as well as making it easier to check on food in the oven (whether it's a visual check through the window or you open for a temperature check or to baste, etc.).

Another advantage, of course, is that if the oven or the cooking surface dies (but not both) you don't have to replace the entire range, you just replace the affected appliance.

All that being said, it is usually less expensive to buy a range than it is to by cooktop/rangetop + ovens.

I do have one comment about Juliekcmo's hood and her deep range, if the hood is only 24" deep and the front burners of her range stick out farther than that (and they appear to in her pics), then the hood probably does not do that good a job venting out smoke, odors, fumes, etc. from the front burners (unless it is very, very powerful). However, a 27" deep hood would probably work fine.

About the pass-through. I would think you wouldn't want a sink in front of it. The presence of a sink will greatly reduce the pass-through's use for passing things to the DR. My parents have a pass-through to their DR and the counter is clear in front of it (the sink is under the window on another wall) and it is of great use for staging dishes, food, drinks, etc. when not only the DR is in use but also the LR. Based on my experience, I highly recommend you keep the counter in front of the pass-through free and clear of appliances, fixtures, etc.

• murphysview
    13 years ago

I do like having electric ovens as well as the gas range. We put the ovens on a different wall than the range and it has worked out well. I think it is the big island in the middle (but oddly shaped) that makes it easy to work in the kitchen.

• aliris19
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi again all -- I've had something of an epiphany understanding the scope of this planning process; that it's not really obvious how to lay out a good kitchen and that I've a lot of work to do, me alone, in getting one.

So. I had a brief talk with dh, with whom I rarely talk (!), and stated a couple things:

1. Placing the oven in the island is just a lousy plan. I'd like to remove that from consideration. Therefore:

2. We need to compromise somewhere on a wall space for the range; either where the pass through is or against the outside wall.

3. This leads me to re-question the whole general layout of the kitchen-FR. It was our architect who wanted to force FR space side-by-side with the Kitchen, sort of abutting but distinct spaces. Me, my ideal kitchen has always been a basically giant room, ideally, say, a open-floor farm house where the kitchen just elides with everything else. As far as I'm concerned, life fits into the kitchen; life *is* the kitchen. My ideal kitchen must basically have room for a rocking chair for someone to keep me company while I'm stuck cooking, all day long. So I don't want to conform my kitchen space to make room for a "FR" space; I want the FR to fit in alongside the kitchen as best it can.

This really, really changes things; it gives me a tad of hope about the whole project for the first time in weeks, for one thing. Fortunately, DH is willing to go along with this re-visualizing. I don't think he really gets why it matters very much, but he hasn't any objections. Mostly, he just wants the laundry to be more out-of-sight, out-of-mind (!), and probably even more than me, he just wants this all to go away....

So.

If anyone out there is still willing or thinking about giving a hand in laying out this kitchen, I think I've a new way forward now. Someone asked (sorry, can't locate who it was -- was it rhome?) whether I'm willing to reduce the pass through. The answer is yes. But I'm also now willing to move the range against the outside wall, the bay-window wall. Formerly this would have encroached on the FR, but with my new understanding of FR=Kitchen, it's OK.

I need, next, to do as was noted on the 'Point of order: floor plans' thread (which is getting interconnected with this one), and sketch out some zone-maps. I am guessing that if/when I can do that, an answer as to where to locate the range will fall out. I suppose I also need to figure out what range to get. Money is an object unfortunately, so I need to do some cost:benefit thinking. Someone noted that getting a range will probably be cheaper than separate cooktop and ovens. These two issues will be next focus of attention.

Thanks, all, for your patience. I haven't the time to ponder this all too long -- we have no kitchen right now!! But it will help not to be in denial about the need to scrutinize habits and priorities and the absence of fairy know-it-all godmothers....

• jenva2010
    13 years ago

I'm sorry, I'm so terrible at reading plans that I have no idea whether this suggestion will help you or not. But, when I read you contemplating putting the stove in front of a passthrough, I immediately thought of shanghaimom's kitchen. She has a beautiful arrangement with a wall just behind the stove, then a passthrough on each side, with cabinetry on the other side of each passthrough. Do a search for her finished kitchen pictures (the search function here is terrible; if nothing pops up, then use google and the terms gardenweb shanghaimom finished kitchen). Even if her layout won't work for you, perhaps the pictures will spark an idea that will.

• aliris19
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi jenva -- I think I found the link you are referring to; I put it in the url box below.

Wow; it's really something! Thanks for the ideas...

Here is a link that might be useful: Shanghaimom's kitchen with mirrored passthroughs

• breezygirl
    13 years ago

A couple of quick thoughts.

1. You can do appliance research over on the appliance forum. AJMadison.com has most major appliance brands and a good search engine.

2. You mentioned that a range would be cheaper than a separate cooktop and ovenS (plural). Not so in my research. A good 36" range is in the neighborhood of at least $5K. If you need another oven, you're talking about about $2K as they are very expensive. The total is about $7K.

I've chosen a Wolf 36" gas cooktop for $2K and separate double electric wall ovens for about $3K. Total is $5K. Cheaper than a range plus wall oven.

These are new appliance prices, but maybe you'd be looking for used ones. And yes, you can get a "pro" look in dual-fuel.

Sorry, don't have time to read everything on your post, but do you want the pass through to be used for passing through or just for the appearance of connectedness? If for just the appearance, you could put the sink in front. I agree that you should check out Shangaimom's range at her passthrough. Very ingenious!

• Buehl
    13 years ago

Here are five ideas. Note that when there's a peninsula or pass-through, it's at least 30" deep for use as a Baking Center as well as for projects (crafts, wrapping gifts, etc.) or for staging food for the DR or other.

Note that I put in an Advantium...it's GE's version of a MW/Convection/Speed Oven. There are similar ones out there from different manufacturers, but the most well-known is probably the Advantium. It works as a speed cook oven, convection oven, warming/proofing, & sensor MW. The Advantium comes in two sizes (27" & 30") as well as two power "levels" (120V & 240V). I've linked to them on the GE Profile site (Profile is GE's mid-level line, below Monogram, on-par w/Cafe, above the "regular" GE products).

I did draw one up with the range on the outside wall...but it only works if you're willing to eliminate one of the windows. (Layouts #5 & 5a)

I also took a few and showed you where the various work zones would be.

Here they are...
    [In all cases, 1 square = 6" x 6"]

Now, some with the three primary work zones (Prep, Cooking, Cleanup)

Here is a link that might be useful: GE Profile Advantiums

• aliris19
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yowza, buehl -- someday I am so going to have to cook you dinner. [someday I am so going to have to cook my family dinner ... :( ]

I will study and report back. I did notice a comment about wondering whether we're willing to nix the window and the answer, sadly, is yes (they're brand new. Geesh. How stupid is this?????).

I have been thinking about the Advantium. I notice the 240V seem functionally very different from the 120V -- in that the 240 seem to work while the 120 don't. I'm willing to add a dedicated 240 line if necessary. Course, I don't know what that would cost....

Thanks and I'm looking forward to my studying! Thanks.

• aliris19
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Buehl at al. -- I am so excited, I think I'm starting (with 250% of your help) to begin to mock up a plan of sorts...

It's funny because this is similar to how we started, but is importantly different.

I need still to think a bit about zones and the like. I'm actually procrastinating getting some work done here, seriously -- so I think I can set this aside for a moment and try to earn a bit of the money that might go some way toward affording this now.

But what do you think of this? Not as a final, as a first step? (second step?)

As for your sketches -- I don't want to close up the current entry way because there's that pantry off the hall in the other direction. It could be used for something else, but still I think the hallway would feel terribly confined.

I'm not positive I can get rid of the pass through wall; in fact I'm nearly certain that there's a header there that is structural and I cannot nix it...I'd say 99.9% positive about that. So I kept that opening and basically flipped the peninsula from your plan no. 2.

I suppose I could have copied more of your elements; I was having a very hard time getting the computer to work as you have done.

As I look back at what I've done now, it looks +/- exactly like it was earlier. Geesh.

I have a cabinet question that probably I should put in another thread, but will drop here: I was thinking of putting glass cabinets on either side of the pass-through that were glass on both sides, accessible from both sides. The thought was this might work to basically allow glassware and plates to be accessed from the dining room for setting. It's been suggested to me, however, that this might not work as one generally loads from the DW-side so what you want to use is generally in the front there, and not readily available from the DR. Any thoughts? Anyone tried to do this little trick? Also, it might be hard to access the cabinets with the way the DW folds down; no room between hinged door and cabinets... maybe if I flipped the DW and sink...

I think I neglected to make the pass-through counter 30" as suggested. Much more to do here, just plopping in the appliances, kinda sorta.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• aliris19
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Drat. This isn't what I wanted to post... sorry!

I updated this sketch and I don't know why this old one is still showing.

{{gwi:1972106}}

Weird ... I had to erase and repost a number of times to get this to show. Anyway, this is what I meant to show; please ignore the previous picture.

I need to work out storage, etc.

Maybe electric oven should be over by range?

Not sure about prep sink... getting pricey!

• bmorepanic
    13 years ago

I'm just going to talk about a coupla things. This is just talk about issues and trade-offs, not criticism. So this is about a half-thought out plan that I made up just so it wasn't critiquing an existing one.

{{gwi:1972107}}

I'm drew in detail both cleanup and baking prep. I am showing two blue lines that illustrate routes used with or without a prep sink. The rest of this is long and highly opinionated.

Ok. So, let's start with cleanup. We've mostly all said that a 4 foot deep cleanup area is a bit much for "cleaning the clean up area" so this steps it back into the window a foot - yielding a three foot deep space which might be reachable (depending on god, the universe, your height, sink gismos and everything). The other thing it does is create a nice wide aisle around the open dishwasher - when duffers pass through on their way to Doritos or a beer or whatever, the human dishwasher can ignore them.

A pass through area with double sided upper cabinets is entirely possible, but you need to put a ledge or a ledge plus a shallow base cabinet in the dining room side for "sit down" space for people getting dishes from the cabinets.

I'm having some trouble understanding your friend's criticism about stuff being on the wrong side. With double sided glass fronted wall cabinets, you need to remember that the entire contents will be plainly visible. I find that leads to very few junky places and more order for me. The cabinets are only about 12-13" deep, so its is difficult to think of what would be piled up in front of your plates or soup bowls. Perhaps they were thinking of base cabinets?

Food prep (of any sort) has a flow to it. Stuff from the ref usually goes to the sink, unless its a snack - in which case it either moves towards the dishes or the microwave or both! From the sink, or directly from the ref if you belong to my tribe, it travels to the prep counter area to be joined with water, prep tools, pantry stuff and pots or baking pans which are then put on the range or in the oven or the micro. The process may later need to drain something or slide stuff out to cool or be stired frequently. The messy leftovers go to a disposal or trash or compost. The packaging goes to the trash or recycling. The dirty pots and prep tools go to cleanup.

So the arrangement of the appliances is important, and the positioning of water is vitally important.

So, the cleanup seems good because you don't need to walk much at all - just for putting pots or prep stuff back. Trash isn't going to be optimally positioned (unless you're a garbage disposal person) caused it would need to be under the sink, probably forcing you to keep the under sink door open.

Cooking is a little bit freaky. This is mostly because of the relative locations of the ref and the pantry and the prep area. You have one of those places where some of the spacial relations are difficult.

Since all of the dry storage is across the hall, it's nice if the ref is closer to it BUT the ref can't be placed directly on the hall wall. It probably won't be able to open completely, leaving you to wrestle with it when you want to clean it. It's also not perhaps the best idea to bury your only ref inside the prep zone as it is the most frequently accessed appliance - particularly by those other folks who live in your house. Adding cabinets between the wall and the ref push the pass through up towards the sink.

In every iteration of a corner plan with the sink in the bay - the sink or the dishwasher have an issue. Either the sink is too close to the corner and can only be used from one direction AND/OR the dishwasher is on the wrong side. If we reversed the sink and dw in the sample plan, the sink is better positioned, but the dw is not as it opens in front of the cabinets you like to use for dishes. Unloading becomes a two-step, first to the counter and then the cabinets after you close the door or drawer. In the ones with a corner and the range where the ref are traded, the dishwasher opens between the range and sink potentially causing serious accidents as its possible to turn from the range and trip over the dishwasher.

The ref is shown near the sink. You can reach the peninsula counter to sit things down, which mitigates the distance somewhat, but it still might be crazy-making... Is it more crazy making than having people constantly walking behind you?

Since the pass-thru moved up closer to the sink, I could put the range where shown. Its got counter on both sides. It won't prevent others from using the sink, altho others can prevent you from sliding over to dump a colander.

Adding a prep sink kills the dark blue triangle that goes into the cleanup zone - always a good thing but really good in this example because that pot full of water and pasta can now pretty much always be drained without getting someone to move first.

Other crazy stuff:
    ---- A person needs at least two feet of counter edge. If they are adults, it might feel slightly squished in.
    ---- The overhang for counter height seating should be at least 15". This isn't for the depth of the stools - its for knees.
    ---- The peninsula is tempting to hang a wall cabinet, but if you do, the second stool will be kinda difficult to use because the wall cabinet will be in the seated person's face and the last door is guaranteed to hit them in the head!
    ---- The ref location is hard to plan. There are two kinds of people in this world. The ones who get everything they are going to use out of the ref at once; and then there's my tribe. My tribe kinda fetches this, that and the other thing outta the ref all during the prep and cooking process. People say they can learn to be the other type, but I don't know.
    ---- Same thing with the views and prep-or-cooking-or cleanup. To me, windows are the most wasted in front of a cleanup area. Not the light wasted, but the views! When I'm doing cleanup, I'm looking at the dishes, not the view. And with dishwashers, I'm not in front of that window for very long. I think windows are more useful at prep or cooking (both!).
    ---- Also consider the social aspects of any plan. In this plan, you are oriented to the family room, and primarily the family room windows. You'd have a side view of the bay window - a front view would happen while rinsing veg - maybe. When you're cooking or doing cleanup, you'd be turned away from others. In all of the "real" designs, other things happen in your interactions with people and the views. Be sure you end up with the ones you'd like.

• aliris19
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oy, bmorepanic -- I'm not sure I can be more panicked! So much to think about ... so much to worry about. I will have to reread what you've said at least 4 more times.

Thank you so much for thinking so hard about this. I need to puzzle hard now....

• bmorepanic
    13 years ago

It's not to worry you! It's to give you something to think about as you consider your plans.

When your space is challenging, it can seem like a lot of work. We all want the best possible kitchen for you and I know you want it too. I know its overwhelming right now, but sooner than you think, you'll have a plan.

• aliris19
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, bmorepanic. I am pretty miserable at the moment with a renovation-out-of-control and no kitchen... I haven't the luxury of time to plan and decide carefully. But I really, really appreciate you sticking with me and helping; you-all are a real shaft of light in a rather sickeningly dark tunnel. Good news is: I won't be pestering you for long as I've just got to get this decided. And now that my head is out of the sand, I'll start on on it ... later. Thanks a million.

• Buehl
    13 years ago

How deep is your bay window well? Ours is 18" and we have no problems cleaning inside it. It probably could have been another 6" deeper and we would have still been fine...but we're fairly tall (ranging from 5'10" to 6'5") so 18" is probably the maximum I'd go for short-to-average height.

If your window well is no more than 18" deep, then I think you're fine having the sink & DW "outside" the well. If not, then I think you may have to do something about that DR wall so you have room on the left. Either that or let the cabinet/sink run die into the wall (i.e., no turning the corner).

You can shorten/break into a load-bearing wall, you just need to install a header designed for load bearing in place of the wall segment.

Well, there is a third option, but it depends on how you feel about a sink that's not centered in the window.

• aliris19
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi -- I'm in the process of drafting a precisely accurate rendering of the kitchen. I'll repost that in a new thread; this is pretty unwieldy. I need to think about bmore's points and these too.

Thanks!

BTW, I don't really have a problem not-centering the sink in the window. For that matter, I don't really mind setting up within the bay window either. First, the true draft...