SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ryan_fehr

Understanding Karastan Group Names

Ryan Fehr
2 years ago

My wife and I are trying to get quotes on recarpetting our second floor. We've gone to 3 local carpet/flooring shops for quotes and to get samples. We liked one particular sample a lot, which was Karastan Crafted Details Battleship. The shop that had that sample is (a) booked out a few weeks on measurements alone, and (b) said some unsettling things about their installers banging up our freshly painted walls (basically saying it's a guarantee and they can't do anything about it). So we thought we would just go to one of the other 3 shops with the group/color and have them requote with that since they already provided us a quote for another Karastan smartstrand ultra forever clean carpet. Well as it turns out, the other shop came back with a different group and color from Karastan, and they are claiming it's identical to the Crafted Details Battleship. What they gave us is Classical Approach Broadway. And while it looks very similar, I don't think it's the same carpet. It looks slightly more green tinted, and I feel like the piles might be shorter as well. It also feels a little rougher to the touch than I remember the Crafted Details feeling. I've tried to track down information on these group tiers, but it's damn near impossible and it looks like Karastan's website lists neither at the moment. I've managed to find 1 SF price for each online (from separate websites though), and it looks like Crafted Details is nearly twice the price of Classical Approach ($7.89 vs. $3.99 or something along those lines). Does anyone have any specific information about these group tiers or how to identify the differences between the two? We haven't gotten an official quote from the place that provided the Crafted Details sample (because they were booked out), but they estimated about $15.5k for that particular carpet on 1500SF with a staircase. By contrast, we got true measurements from the other shop and an actual hard quote on Classical Approach of around $14.8k. But if Classical Approach is only worth half the price of Crafted Details, it would be a wiser choice just to go with the Crafted Details, even if the official quote comes in a little higher in the end.

Comments (2)