SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
valinsv

Another Possible Karastan for my LR

Valerie Noronha
15 years ago

I found another possibility for a Karastan rug for my LR today on CL. I just sent the seller an email. I can't be sure but it looks like the multi-color Kirman. I've admired this rug before, though it's been several months since I've seen it in the store. Would it work or be too busy? Here's a pic of the LR (the blue tape shows how it would lay on the floor):

{{!gwi}}

Here's the DR rug it needs to coordinate with (also a Karastan):

{{!gwi}}

What do you think of the price? This one also is not too far away so no wild goose chase like the one I went on last week--see there is always something else on CL if you wait long enough!

Here is a link that might be useful: Karastan

Comments (57)

• CaroleOH
    15 years ago

I have that rug in my foyer and love it. It is the most durable rug - never looks dirty and the colors are very pretty.

It has the accent wall color and chair color in it, and I think the border color would look great in your room and with your drapes.

I agree that it might not look the best with your DR burgandy rug, but you never know until you see them together. You can't go wrong with this rug. It goes with everything.

• bebetokids
    15 years ago

Val-I don't think you have to worry about the 2 rugs not going together. I have been in the homes of executives from Karastan. You should see the rugs they put side by side. Contemporary with traditional, all colors, they just look fabulous together. I have 7 Karastans, all shapes and sizes. In my foyer and adjacent DR, I have 3 rugs. In the DR is the medallion companion to the multipanel you have linked above. Right next to it is a black/red Verona. The reds are not the same. It looks great and no one has ever said they do not match.

When I was picking out my rugs someone at Karastan told me if you love the rugs they will go together. You will never go wrong with the multipanel, it is a classic. I have a round under my breakfast table and a small one near the beverage bar.

• Related Discussions

Karastan Smartstrand or Karastan Wear Dated nylon???

Q

Comments (16)
    If you want to be a real weenie (like me) you may want to download and read this, and INSIST that the installers follow it to the letter. http://www.carpet-rug.org/documents/publications/CRI_Carpet_Installation_Standard_2011.pdf Cushion installation - Install cushion in the longest continuous lengths possible with consideration to traffic patterns and carpet seam placement. It is required that cushion seams be at a right angle (90�) to carpet seams or offset at least six inches (150 mm). Butt cushion seams net without compression, leaving no gaps. Do not tape or staple cushion seams for double glue down installations. Install separate carpet cushion in the longest continuous lengths possible, with cushion seams placed at right angles to carpet seams, or offset at least six inches (150 mm) to one side. Trim cushion flush with the inside contour of the tack strip and securely fastened to the substrate using staples or nonflammable cushion adhesive at all seams and around the perimeter of each room. With the exception of fiber cushions, secure seams with appropriate vinyl-coated cloth cushion tape per the carpet cushion manufacturer's recommendations.
    ...See More

Need help to find a pair of chairs for my LR

Q

Comments (26)
    Thanks for so many great ideas! I have just spent time looking through all the links. I will likely have to have whatever chair I purchase re-upholstered (unless it's a new chair where I can specify my own fabric) so that I can get the color I am looking for, which is as yet undetermined, and because I may look for a sunbrella or similar fade-resistant fabric since these chairs will sit directly in sunlight part of each day. So... the lower priced chair options are much appreciated! Thanks beverly, gooster, yayagal, aktillery. Chispa, mtn, mamorella, depending on what is most cost effective I still may end up going the custom route, so your encouragement is appreciated. Mamorella - I did grow up in the Bay Area but now live on the east coast - my "marina" references where I spend the summer out here! And, I know, aren't those pink chairs just perfection??? Ogoopogo - I have been trolling ebay and Craigslist. I need to go to some consignment stores as well. I also have thoughts of waiting until the Brimfield Antique Fair in May..... pricklypear - Room & Board is opening a store in the Boston area sometime soon... I am excited. However, I want these LR chairs to be less modern/more traditional to balance out my room which mixes both. The dining chairs I just bought are wonderful. They are from Mitchell Gold as well - I think the name of them is Graham. I love funky dining chairs, but comfort always wins out for me in the end so I chose these. These are tailored nicely, super comfortable, and the fabric selections are really nice - mine is a textured black/brown/gold fabric with a slight sheen. Very pretty with brass fixtures. I welcome other suggestions if anyone comes across other chairs.... Will be sure to post photos when I find something.
    ...See More

Possible CL purchase of sofa table for LR

Q

Comments (11)
    Thanks for the honest feedback. Seems not just my post, but the other one about the WTs, sided with the hubbies' opinions! les: No it's not the final arrangement, though it's how it's arranged at the moment. Did you ever see the other option I had been considering for the piano wall? Majority feedback was for squirrel's version, though it still feels like I have an empty corner on the right and the drum table is floating between living room and entry. I wish I had a second floor to photograph from to give the pics more perspective. In any case, it will evolve as I fill it out a bit more with the rug, coffee table, art, lamps, etc. ezbake: Glad to hear I'm not alone in liking the piece, but seems we're the minority at this point so I'm hesitant to move forward.
    ...See More

The LR Karastan Is Not Working Out

Q

Comments (32)
    OSH, I did not get e-mail but that is nothing unusual. I rarely get e-mail sent through GW. I have been trying to find a piece of art suitable for your sofa and I know what I want and I have it, but I don't know the name or the artist. It was given to me by a friend (actually a cousin) who knew that I liked satsuma oriental bowls and this is a print of camellias and magnolias (I think) in a beautiful satsuma bowl and the colors of your rug are wisped about in the flora and the bowl has dominant color of that satsuma like red. I cannot find it on line. I hope someone will know what it is. In the distance is an oriental screen of muted beige-gray and there are Oriental people imprinted on the screen, ever so demurely (such that I just realized there is more than one today), and I have had the print for 15 years :-). How about something like a satsuma vase with buttery mums or off white magnolia blossoms? or a satsuma bowl on the mantle with magnolias, camellias or mums? I think your room needs another hit or two of oriental.
    ...See More
  • User
    15 years ago

I think the rug is too red for the cool blue and cream colour scheme, which is really lovely.

• lkplatow
    15 years ago

See, the thing about that rug is that there's all kinds of colors in it - the robins egg blue, a more turquoisey green, along with gold and the coral-y red. I think in Val's room, the color of the wall and the side chairs would really pull out the cooler blues and greens in the rug and tone down the reds, but the reds would still be there to warm the room up a bit.

I think the rug would look great, but the same rug is available with an ivory border, so if this rug has too much red, you might look into it with the ivory border...you'd still get all the same colors but the balance might be better for the room without all that extra red.

• Kathleen McGuire
    15 years ago

I have to agree with bebetokids. If you love a rug, they will go together. What I am noticing in squirrel's ps, is how the rug colors pick up on the colors in your pillows and drapes. If, as you say, you can move the dr rug to the fr if you find that they do not go togther, than you have a problem solved already. I don't think you will notice it as much because they have the foyer floor as a break in between. They will not butt up to each other. Not as noticable that way. I would at least try it out, even if that means going to the store and getting a smaller version of it.

• squirrelheaven
    15 years ago

Does anyone have the name of the rug, to try to find a better pic?

• squirrelheaven
    15 years ago

The rug does strike me, also, as too red, and dark. I did have to use the darker area of the photo, but notice on ebay that another example (vintage) has the same glare-y gray/pinkness to it. Here's a different photo on ebay, though, which is more like Karastan's images (which are awful). Is this the same rug? Does it actually look like this irl?

Here is a link that might be useful: Karastan Original Multipanel Kirman

• organic_smallhome
    15 years ago

Val: The seller of the rug I mentioned earlier just sent me a close-up pic of the reverse side. It's the 9x12 that he is selling for $300. He said it's about 30 years old, in excellent condition. It looks extremely well made to me. Just so you know. :)

{{!gwi}}

• organic_smallhome
    15 years ago

This is the CL listing for it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Karastan Medallion Rug

• parma42
    15 years ago

I like the rug that OS found. Liked it from the time she first posted it.

• Valerie Noronha
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well the seller of the kirman rug has not replied to my email, though ad is still listed. I do feel it would pull together everything in my room and feel it's a better fit than the burgundy rug (though I like that one as well). The drapes have both bits of a dark burgundy as well as coral red flowers so I felt I could work with either color--just one room is working with the wine colored flowers and the other the redder ones; though I did match the leading edge of the drapes plus red pillows to the lighter red. So, even if this one slips away, it's a possibility to purchase new as it's a current design. I will have to check out the ivory bordered kirman. It really helps to see the PS version.

I also like the rug that OS found and the seller of that rug finally replied to my email (probaby thought she was selling to OS:) so didn't reply to me). Somehow the reply sounds like the one I received earlier from Karastan I was considering last week that ended up being stained. When I ask about rips, stains, pet orders--just say it's in mint condition. Here are the pics the seller sent me:

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

If you had to vote, though, on which rug, which one would you vote for? Kirman or Medallian?

• sarschlos_remodeler
    15 years ago

The medallion is very pretty, but the reds look very orange to me. I think either would work well in your living room alone, but to my eye, neither one coordinates well with your DR rug, which reads much coolor blue-red to me.

• Valerie Noronha
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Here is a closeup of the DR rug, though at this point I want to choose what works best for the LR. The DR rug I bought last month for $225--could probably resell if I wish or use elsewhere.
    {{!gwi}}

• organic_smallhome
    15 years ago

Val: I like both rugs, actually. The Kirman is very nice, although your lovely coffee table kind of disappears on it. I'm thinking that a lighter rug might show it off better, and also open up the room. But that depends on what kind of "look" you want in the living room, too. If you want a room that's more "grounded," then a darker rug would be the way to go. Personally, I'd prefer to see a lighter rug in both the LR and DR, so the beautiful wood of your furniture can stand out. But that's just me. :) On another note: I don't think I would worry too much about coordinating the run in the LR with the rug in the DR--mixing-and-matching of oriental rugs is perfectly acceptable, imo.

• CaroleOH
    15 years ago

The first Karastan has really no red in it. It's a lovely coral/rust/?? can't describe the color, but it's beautiful.

The thing about the second rug that I don't care for, is the large rectangle of cream in the center. All of the pretty colors on the sides will be covered up with furniture.

• Valerie Noronha
    Original Author
    15 years ago

OS: Are you just itching to buy that rug? Am here I am trying to find something else so I don't have to ask such a big favor.

I love the cream that caroloh doesn't care for. The thing that I am hesitating over is whether the blue/green shades will go with the fabric of my chairs. Here is a close up of the colors/fabrics in the room (except the tan paint color is not correct, but close enough):

{{!gwi}}

• organic_smallhome
    15 years ago

Val: Those are absolutely gorgeous fabrics--you have such sophisticated taste. :)

It's hard to tell, really. I guess this is why it's important to see the rug in person. The (tomato?) red appears to coordinate well with the red in the rug. The paisley fabric should, too. I'm crazy about that blue/green fabric, and think it might work well with the green in the rug, which is a little blue-green, it seems to me. The rug as a whole would seem to complement your walls, as well. It's just so hard to tell when viewing internet pictures!

If you want to take a chance on the rug, I can drive down to Taunton and get it for you--it's okay--but I don't want you to be stuck with a rug that you don't want (in case it's not perfect), either.

• organic_smallhome
    15 years ago

I wish tryin2grow would pop by and give us her opinion. :)

• Valerie Noronha
    Original Author
    15 years ago

OS: Believe me I'm thinking about it and DH is going to think I'm absolutely nuts... But it is such a georgeous rug and the price is wonderful. It may sound odd to someone not on this board, but there are several people whom I'd have no second thoughts trusting in their ability to choose items for my home--and certainly you are one of them. I think that Kirman must be gone as it was listed last weekend and seller is not replying and just checked the eBay one that squirrel linked is also sold. I'm hoping my3dogs will weigh in since she has such exquisite taste and experience with Karastans and picking out items over the internet.

I'm just thinking how we could splurge on some extra items while we are in Alaska with the savings over a new rug if I can find a used one. Frankly, I've never gone for "perfect" in my decorating scheme--just good enough. With three kids I cannot really justify spending outrageous sums of money on decor that may be damaged or stained, at the same time I do want quality items. Now that I am on to how many wonderful items can be bought slightly used on CL, I find it difficult to pay retail even if we can afford it. I just think of different uses for the money I am saving. :)

• organic_smallhome
    15 years ago

Val: That's so incredibly kind of you to say about me (even if I think--a little bit--that you may not be in your right mind--lol). On another note: I, too, absolutely hate to pay retail. When do you leave for Alaska?

And yeah, where *is* my3dogs???

• Valerie Noronha
    Original Author
    15 years ago

OS: I think T2G must be tired by now of my unsuccessful attempts to find a rug for this room and say by all means let someone else pick one for you!!!

The other person who's opinion I need is squirrel's. She's really been instrumental in helping me put this room together.

• Valerie Noronha
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Others have said before it's much easier to pick stuff out for others than ones' own space. Sometimes we lack objectivity. We leave Sunday and will be gone two weeks so will make a decision soon one way or the other. We are flying into Anchorage and renting an RV and driving all around. Forcast is rain, but we're hoping it'll clear. I really need to resume packing, not sure why I'm here on the computer....

• organic_smallhome
    15 years ago

Everybody's probably on their way home from work or at dinner, so if you check back later you'll no doubt have many opinions to read. . . . Sounds like a fabulous vacation. :)

Off to the store, will check back later to see if a decision has been made. :)

• Valerie Noronha
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Then there is this one for sale on eBay. It's also a Kirman, but the Samovar teawash. It looks to have a bit more blue in it and less red. This seller has a 100% feedback rating and very high res. pics.

Here is a link that might be useful: Samovar Teawash

• squirrelheaven
    15 years ago

I'm comin' I'm comin' : ) If I only .. had a .. life (W of Oz : )

Here are the samples, with the second sample collage being more blue (as I envision it) than the yellow cast photo. And just in case it is more blue, to see. The larger 'room' pic has the rug brought out a bit more to better see/feel:

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• organic_smallhome
    15 years ago

Wow, squirrel--that's WONDERFUL! Even if Val doesn't like this particular rug, I think I really prefer the lighter colors, because they highlight the lines of the furniture so nicely!

I think the edge is ivory--which, I think, would look nice against the floor.

What do you think?

• organic_smallhome
    15 years ago

Val: I think that's a very reputable Karastan dealer, but I don't know for sure. It seems like that rug would coordinate very well with the DR rug?

• Valerie Noronha
    Original Author
    15 years ago

squirrel: You are amazing! I was having a lot of probs. visualizing how that particular pattern would flow. I will show to my DH tonight. So what is your opinion on the rug vs. the other rugs? Next to me, you probably know my room the best.

OS: I'm going to send you an email later this evening about the rug. If your email is not listed send me one at valinsv@yahoo.com

• bebetokids
    15 years ago

val-I have that Samovar teawash in my family/living room. New furniture is coming next week and the color scheme is very similar to what you already have in the room. It does have a lot of blue and coral which I am pulling out.
    Hard to tell with these pics but the sofas are blue/tan and my chair is definitely blue.

Here is my chair:

{{!gwi}}

Couches:
    {{!gwi}}
    welt:
    {{!gwi}}
    Curtains-when I can afford them:

The pillows I cant find a link but have coral and blue. Take a close look at that rug with your room. When my furniture is delivered I will post some pics. The rug is definitely beautiful.

• User
    15 years ago

FWIW, I'm chiming back in again, if you are still seeking opinions. It seemed like from your first post that you were concerned about it coordinating with your DR rug, so that's why I commented. The colors are a little different (at least on the monitor) but I agree with the others that said you don't need to worry overly about that (them coordinating) since they are separate spaces. Originally I was envisioning a paler rug in there and I also love that pale rug that is posted above! - but both rugs are pretty, and your room is pretty - either one would look great in there. I don't think either one is a "mistake".

• BriosaFarm
    15 years ago

The multi-color panel kirman #717 you asked about is a drop-dead gorgeous rug in person and would be *wonderful* in your room....I've had the rug for years in a large size and I promise you that though it can go with warm tones like in your throw pillows and the frame around your paintings, it *really* shines with slightly cooler tones like in your upholstery, wall color, and wood floors. The color looks more like chloe45's close up than the larger pics found other places....this rug does not have a rusty or orangish tone at all in person...though there are some warm shades in it, it overall goes a little cooler in tone and will blend better with rugs that have a cooler burgundy or soft muted brick wine than it will warmer-toned rugs (in other words, I think your DR rug might surprise you but if not, you'll love the 717 anyway.) One of my very favorite looks with this rug is with lighter-colored upholstery like yours and I drool over the thought of your robin's egg or blue/green walls with it! There are so many colors in it and in person it doesn't look busy...just very rich and saturated with color. At night in lamplight it is jewel-toned, daylight seems to pick up the lighter shades and pastels in it. If you are drawn to this rug, in my opinion you will LOVE it in your room with your furniture and paint colors. Having lived with this rug for so long and in more than one house, I really believe from your pictures that all the colors in your upholstery, accessories, paint and wood floors are in this rug and will all pop with it.

BTW, the Samovar teawash you also saw is MUCH more warm and yellow "in person" than in any pics I've seen of it or than it looked in the store....I brought one home a while back thinking that since I love jewel tones and rich mixed colors and warm tones it would be great....and it was bright yellow in my room.

• organic_smallhome
    15 years ago

What about these, Val?

karastantabriz

And this one would really pick up your wall color:

karastanheriz

• CaroleOH
    15 years ago

Valinsv,

It's not that I don't like the cream rug, it's very pretty. I'm just partial to the other Karastan because I have one and know the teal colors are muted enough to be perfect with your room.

One idea would be to go and buy the rug at a department or rug store and bring it home and check the colors against your furniture before buying or bringing home the big one.

Generally, the Karastan rugs are easy to find locally - just very expensive. But, I'm sure easily returned.

• Valerie Noronha
    Original Author
    15 years ago

bebetokids: Yes, our color schemes are very similar. Please do show your room when the furniture and rug arrive.

jenny: I also was envisioning a paler rug there which is what I like about the rug on OS's CL (which is the only drawback as is dependent on OS shipping it out).

briosfarm: I'm glad to know your feedback as someone who also has this rug and seen it in different settings. I do like this rug and have also thought of it in a smaller size for my DR. Right now, if I go with that rug, I will need to purchase new; though that is an option.

OS: I like the other choices better. Will show DH later this evening.

• CaroleOH
    15 years ago

I forgot a word - I meant to say buy a smaller version of the rug and bring it home to check the colors before buying or bringing home such a large rug and finding out the colors are off.

• Valerie Noronha
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'm off to Macy's with my fabric swatches to look at the kirman and samovar teawash rugs before making a decision. Meanwhile, OS, has very graciously offered to facilitate my purchase of the medallian rug on her local CL, if I wish and both of us have been in contact with the seller. Isn't she just the best?

It sounds like the vote is split between all the rugs; though, squirrel, you are not casting your vote.

• squirrelheaven
    15 years ago

Hi Val, I'm really not sure about the new rug. It's always hard to say how the colors are irl. It reads a terra-coral type red and sage, though there is some blue in it. So, I think I'd want to see it in person first. Your reds/golds look like they might read similar. It seems to blend nicely in the virtual, with a fresh look.

As for my own preferences, I really love the vintage rugs in your room. I do like them on the dark side too (or with dark tones). Moody, cozy, and Old World. With red, and with blue tones. Though we did try on some really pretty lighter rugs earlier, too. The ghom and this kirman have a similar 'antique' quality to them that I just really like in there. The kirman, though, does look too red, to me, and maybe a bit dark from here. Although the ghom was probably just as dark. I only had a small piece of the kirman to work with, as there was so much gray/pink glare on the photo, so it's surely not a very accurate representation anyway. Not finding any good pics online either.

As mentioned above, you should be able to take your samples to a store to check the rugs out irl.

You're lucky to find so many nice potentials at great prices!

• ronniroo
    15 years ago

Val, I love that teawash rug, but I also love the first one, the Kirman I think. I just love looking at your room, it's become a gorgeous space, so which ever rug you choose it'll look awesome!

~~Veronica

PS definitely pack your rain gear.. I don't know about the coast, but here in the interior it's been RAINY all summer long, and cold, we were down to the low 40s last night! (we're in North Pole, just south of Fairbanks)

• squirrelheaven
    15 years ago

Oh, I missed the tea wash one. Yes, that is pretty! Not the same one? Still has a lot of red (with your accent wall).

• Valerie Noronha
    Original Author
    15 years ago

After checking out Karastan's current collection I'd have to agree with briosfarm's assessment of the two rugs: the teawash looked very warm/brownish (due I suppose to the teawash effect) and the kirman was vibrant with both warm and cool colors. All of my fabrics looked good next to the kirman, including the red taffeta on the pillows and curtain trim (which is a very difficult red to match as it is shot through with green threads. The green/turquoise too went well together--a sage green clashes. So, of Karastan's current collection, I'd have to say this is my favorite. There are no used rugs for sale in the 8.8x12 size so I'd be purchasing new after we get back from our trip, though I will still look out for sometime and check with the eBay seller "karastanrugs" if s/he has one for sale. List price at Macy's is $2,399 with an 18.5% sale, then add sales tax and about $100 for shipping.

Regarding the OS's CL rug, it seems that the seller has a store and this is not an individual selling it. The seller states the condition as "mint"--whatever that means? They would accept a credit card so if OS checked it out and found it was accurately represented by the pics, I could pay that way and then OS and I would just need to figure out the shipping.

I am really torn between these two rugs. I wish I could see the medallian one IRL. I agree with OS that the ivory color shows off the wood legs of the furniture better. Plus you cannot beat that price of $300 so even factoring in the cost to ship, it's still quite a good deal.

ronnieroo: We are going to stay over in North Pole on Aug 6th--at Santaland RV Park. My 6-year-old DD is SO excited to be visiting Santa in the summer. Thanks for the tip about the rain gear and temps. We are a bit bummed the weather is not better. We're waterproofing all the shoes, though we don't have any rain boots for the kids and can't buy at this time of year in CA. We can always purchase when we arrive if we need to.

• squirrelheaven
    15 years ago

With the kerman, I would just keep an eye on the overall color the rug reads. In the virtual, the accent wall and rug are both large swathes of color, both blocks, and appear about equal in size.

What was that good guideline TexasHottie posted recently -- 60% 30% 10% I believe.

• Valerie Noronha
    Original Author
    15 years ago

squirrel: You are confusing me or are you playing devil's advocate? I'm leaning towards OS's rug, but can't get my hopes up too much there since there are still a lot of variables.

Perhaps I could mail swatches to OS for her to take with her to the store. I wonder if he'd put it on hold for me in time to mail swatches to OS. Perhaps I could send it overnight since OS said she cannot get there until Friday. OS: Would it help if I sent you swatches?

• squirrelheaven
    15 years ago

Not sure why I'm confusing you : ) The color balance seems better with OS's rug. That rug isn't available in stores anymore? If you don't care for sage with your chairs, it does seem to have a good bit in it, but blue also.

• ronniroo
    15 years ago

Heh, we'll be neighbors Aug. 6th then, you can pretty much see the RV park from my house (across the highway). Well, ok, if there weren't so many trees you could see it, LOL. If you all want to have some options, send me an email and I'll send you my phone in case ya'll are ready to stretch your legs and get a break from the RV by then. My house is not nearly to your standard, but it is larger than an RV and I'm happy to play hostess!

~~Veronica (vvallejos at hotmail dot com)

• Valerie Noronha
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Because first you said you liked the darker rugs and then brought up the color balance issue. The rug has been discontinued as was the other one I was looking at last week that was an ivory rug. Somehow all of the ivory rugs in their collection give a more contemporary feel to me. Maybe I am confusing myself? Wanting a traditional rug in non-traditional colors? I'm beginning to think I'm in over my head and am lacking some design sense to pull it all together. You are right, it will cover a large area, though is the remaining 2% left undone. I'm so sick of people coming in and asking about my blue tape "rug". Haha! Maybe I'll have blue tape for the next 10-years trying to figure this out. That sage color is the only one that causes me to hesitate--hard to tell if it works or clashes.... Taken as a whole as in your PS version, it does seem to work.

• Valerie Noronha
    Original Author
    15 years ago

ronniroo: I guess I should post some other real life pics other than this one of my LR. We're not fancy folks really; though we do have three kids (nearly 7, 13, and 15), who may be stir crazy by then, so you may want to change your mind!!! DH is just shaking his head wondering why I did not nix his idea to spend two weeks in an RV and now the thought of rain and us being cooped up in there has got him wondering why I did not convince him we should've gone to Hawaii. It's going to be a "big adventure." Anyone remember National Lampoon's Vacation - Wally World? That'll be us! I'll send you an email shortly

• organic_smallhome
    15 years ago

Sure, you could send me the swatches, no problem. But what if I think they work and then you get the swatches back, with the rug, and you think I'm a friggin' lunatic, and they don't even *remotely* work??? Remember: I'm just some shlub who is allowed to hang out on the HD forum and who pretends to know what I'm talking about. :)

• squirrelheaven
    15 years ago

It's the overall red look of the rug. There's a big blue-green accent with the wall and then another big red accent. There may be more blue in the rug. Maybe someone can post one from their house for a new virtual : ) The online pics are bad.

Maybe the older European rooms use a lot of darker rugs, and with your English and French pieces, the darker vintage/antique ones just ring for me. I love those cozy old European rooms : )

• squirrelheaven
    15 years ago

Oh, I loved those Chevy Chase movies, lol. Can I come too?

• Valerie Noronha
    Original Author
    15 years ago

squirrel: There actually is quite a bit of blue (turquoise) in the rug when you see it IRL.

OS: You've been so helpful with this whole rug selection, but I do understand there is a certain amount of chanciness to this whole thing (like your rug you bought)--and sometimes I do like to take a chance. Worst case, I do think I could resell that rug or use it in my bedroom. It's a good deal, otherwise I would not consider it. I could always get the kirman later, but this is something more unusual that you cannot walk into Macys or Home Expo and see on the wall (or even the local CL for that matter). I'll just get a UPS quote.

OS brought it up that he has now listed it on eBay (local pickup only) and he is an antique dealer.

Here is a link that might be useful: Medallian rug on eBay