FIND PROFESSIONALS
SHOP BY DEPARTMENT
annpat_gw

What have you done for your compost lately?

annpat
2 months ago

Comments (99)

• annpat
    Original Author
    2 months ago

This couple met here on this forum, formerly Garden Web, and were later married in the Interbay P-Patch. Several of us here sent gifts of compost---per their request. I sent a box of seaweed. Julia Child sent banana peels.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2001/08/13/will-you-mulch-me

https://doriegreenspan.com/old_site/of-compost-and-weddings-trash-beautiful-trash/

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    2 months ago
    last modified: 2 months ago

I always thought it was pea patch as well :-) But they are named for Picardo Farms, the original owner of the property in my first photo. They donated the use of their land in 1970 at the time of the first Boeing Bust (remember the famous billboard - "will the last person leaving Seattle turn out the lights?") and then sold it to the city in 1973.

There is currently a 2+ year wait for p-patch spaces.

Thanks for your Washington compliments, annpat. We think it is pretty special too :-) But we don't like to brag about it too much as we are being inundated with new arrivals from just about everywhere! A good 90% of my garden design clients are those who have just recently moved here from somewhere else.

And I'll stake our seaweed against Maine's any day !! 😁

• Related Discussions

February 2011 What Have You Fed Your Compost Pile Today?

Q

Comments (24)
    I have several used Little Hotties Hand Warmers. Please, no lecture on 'going green', wearing gloves or using a hot water bottle. I care for dying patients and the importance of warm hands when touching someone is crucial. Carrying one of these in my pocket for a quick hand warm up has worked well. The ingredients in one small hand warmer is iron powder, water, salt, activated charcoal and vermiculite. As most of the ingredients would be safe, I wondered primarily about the iron powder and that little bit of salt and if they would be safe additions for compost.
    ...See More

June 2012: What have you fed your compost today?

Q

Comments (13)
    UCG, redskins from 2 kilos of home roasted peanuts, watermelon rinds, fridge science experiments. The corn cooking water went on the plants. Question: dryer lint in my dryer is a combo of both natural (cotton/wool,etc) and synthetic (whatever the non-100% natural fibers clothes are made of) Wouldn't the synthetic lint be like adding plastic fibers to my pile? I just wondered........
    ...See More

July 2009 What Have You Fed Your Compost Pile Today?

Q

Comments (54)
    lots and lots of weeds. seeds and all. mostly plantains. also over grown cosmos, poppy. annual painted daisy shasta daisy flops etc... pretty much 5 wheel barrels full of greens and a few shovel fulls of pine chips. i'm just piling it up till fall. stinks to high heck. but come fall it will be easy to mix in some(tons) of leaves. no worries on the stench.it's about 20 or so yards from the house. my closest neighbor is 2 football feilds away and owns horses. snicker... i tell DH is the horses. this is my 3rd or 4th batch this year and since i ran out of hoarded leaves i decided to cold compost for a while. pile it up and let it stink.i mean rot i mean compost. lol.
    ...See More

What Have You Fed Your Compost Today? September 2009

Q

Comments (60)
    So far this MONTH: lots of melon scraps from lots of donors (hehe) heaps of kitchen scraps mostly from the various peppers, tomatoes, and cucumbers we've been canning about 3 wheelbarrows full of Starbucks UCGs pastachio and walnut shell pieces used Kleenexes, receipts, TP/PT rolls, and paper towels chicken feathers, guts, and blood (been culling the meat birds) corn stalks, carrots stalks, bean & pea plants that were done This week's project is to (1) finish "Fall Cleaning" of the old flower garden I've let go for 2 yrs "to see what grows there". (2) Fill it with a nice layer of my first huge bin of beautiful compost and cover with a fresh layer of mulch so next Spring I can (3) plant the herb/butterfly/hummingbird garden that I've always envisioned that spot to be. PLAYIN IN THE DIRT IS FUN!!!!
    ...See More
  • klem1
    2 months ago

You folks have made my back sore from just reading the extent of your composting efforts. I thought sure I'd found a lazy comrade in lazy_dirt then she suggested making liquid fertilizer from fish. NO THANK YOU,I'll resort to store bought before going that route. As a kid on the farm,I trapped furbearers and an old trapper told me about his "secret"lure. I filled a gallon jar with Bluegill and sealed it with a piece of tire innertube. The gallon of fish reduced to about 1/2 pint liquid and rubber

swelled. The smell of road killed Armadillos and Skunks under Tx sun is Lilacs by compairson. While transfering it to a smaller container to fit in my gear bag,the odor got the best of me and I obandoned the project. I wish that could have been the end of it but the worst was still to come. Water from our spring fed well stayed cold year around and it was mid-winter at the time. Mom didn't alow me in the house until I scrubbed that mess off my body and clothes outdoors in the yard.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    2 months ago

There are 78 allotments on my site. They measure 20’ x 50’. I’ve had mine for around thirty years.There are 28 sites in town and mine’s one of the smaller ones.

July

Compost corner. I’ve since got a new barrow and given away one of the green bins.

• annpat
    Original Author
    2 months ago

That's much larger than I imagined, floral---20 x 50. 28 sites with about 78 plots each? That's astonishing to me. After years of seeing Gardengal on here, I began to suspect that she and my childhood friend from Maine might travel in the same Washington state circles. And they do! That same friend did a six-week walking tour of English gardens by herself once. She's quite adventuresome. I was jealous.

• annpat
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Klem! old_dirt! Not lazy_dirt!!! And don't you think old_dirt is a man? How many women do you know who make Bluegill slurry and who put skunks and raccoons---I presume dead---in their compost pile? Trust me, only men think putting rotting fish into a container with water is a grand plan.

Your poor Mom.

• annpat
    Original Author
    2 months ago

gawdin! I forgot about Starbucks. I used to go regularly---to the extent they told me just to go get the grounds myself out of the dumpster. I was just wondering today, what nitrogen source I could get in late November to refuel the bins if I flip them. The leaf dump gets leaf heavy and low on grass clippings by that time. I'm glad I just reread your post. Starbucks. That's the ticket.

• gawdinfever Z6
    2 months ago

I also have a local donut shop/coffee shop that I worked at for 19 years and can get them to save grounds for me. I prefer Starbucks only because they throw banana peels in theirs! lol Bonus!

• gawdinfever Z6
    2 months ago

klem; I'm with you on buying the fish fertilizer. Now I don't mind burying items in/under the pile or such, but I'm NOT doing all that extra....Yuck!

gardengal: I love those plots!

• gawdinfever Z6
    2 months ago

I was so mad last night on drive home from work. When I left for work I saw that some folks in my neighborhood had put out bags of leaves. I planned on picking them up on way home for the night. I think the trash people got them! I thought that was a separate p/u. Now would be a good time, because all of my leaves are Oak leaves. Which is OK. They break down by Spring, even without shredding, contrary to what most say. But I wanted some 'diversity' for my compost. Oak leaves here don't drop until between January and February.

We're still forecast for relatively warm weather the next week, so I'll keep watching for them. I plan on leaving for work earlier now just to see. I just didn't really want the bags in my car longer than necessary, since I may wind up with bugs in my car. Oh, well. I'm not afraid of bugs and my compost is more important to me. I can always shop vac the bugs out, if any.

• annpat
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Soul sister, don't forget a dropcloth. You should go put it in the car now.

• Gargamel
    2 months ago

What about leaving notes on your neighbours’ doors, gawdin, with your phone number and you can pick up their leaves when they’ve raked them? (or is that too wierd…👀). what about offering to pick up their bagged leaves for money? lol

• old_dirt 6a
    2 months ago

annpat, thx for defending my gender -lol- I often wonder about many others here and various other forums. Maybe it should be on our profile, but maybe it is? I guess i'm to 'lazy' to look. Which brings me to another point, should I change my handle to 'lazy_old_dirt'?

I have never actually thrown a dead skunk in the compost but once a small raccoon and many moles, mice, voles and a few squirrels. After a few yearsl, ike an old C&W songs says, "I'm digging up bones". If i dig to early, it's "doing things that's better left alone"...

When I used that home made fish slurry, I did get lots of critter scratching and activity but nothing detrimental. The neighbors weren't to pleased but made the loads of hog manure seemed pleasant.

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    2 months ago

I couldn’t resist. These were in one spot at the curb…just too easy.

Soon after…

Poster TJ took an ax

and gave each pumpkin 40 whacks.

When he saw what he had done

he thought, ”ya know, this is fun!”

tj

• annpat
    Original Author
    2 months ago

I sure didn't get to admire that yellow pumpkin too long.

Even the crazed, axe-wielding Lizzie,

Would agree that you’ve been busy.

I think that Andy Borden’s daughter

Might have spared the yellow’s slaughter.

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    2 months ago

Old yeller’s fate was to decay

and soon it would just melt away.

So since no beauty ever again,

it now joins the carbon as nitrogen.

tj

• Gargamel
    2 months ago

lol

• annpat
    Original Author
    2 months ago

So, you're saying:

Even the prettiest pumpkin knows the score,

When it’s nitrogen to carbon, the odds are poor

When the leaves in your bin need heat in a hurry

That bright yellow pumpkin is less art, more slurry.

• gawdinfever Z6
    2 months ago

This has by far, become my favorite thread! lol

Gargamel: I thought of that! I even thought of putting up flyers. I have that thought every single year, but don't do it. (shakes head at myself).

Now read below and you'll know what 'weird' is.

• gawdinfever Z6
    2 months ago

Ok. You all started it, even though mine is not creative on my part or made up.

I just fudged a little.

But it surely fits me!

Well I'm shameless when it comes to loving you
    I'll (add) anything you want me to
    And I'll do anything at all

And I'm snatching leaves for all the world to see
    Oh baby that's (a part of me)
    Oh, glorious Compost, I'll do anything at all

You know now I'm not a (wo)man who's ever been
    Insecure about the world I've been livin' in
    I don't break easy I have my pride
    But if you need to be satisfied

I'm shameless, oh Compost I don't have a prayer
    Every time I see you (steamin') there
    I go down upon my knees

And I'm changin' swore I'd never compromise
    Oh but you convinced me otherwise
    I'll do anything you please

You see in all my life I've never found
    What I couldn't resist what I couldn't (break) down
    I could walk away from any(thing) I ever knew
    But I can't walk away from you

I have never let anything have this much control over me
    I work too hard to call my life my own
    And I've made myself a world and it's worked so perfectly
    But it's your world now I can't refuse
    I've never had so much to lose
    Oh I'm shameless

You know it should be easy for a (wo)man who's strong
    To say (s)he's sorry or admit when (s)he's wrong
    I've never lost anything I've ever missed
    But I've never been in love like this

It's out of my hands
    I'm shameless, I don't have the power now
    I don't want it anyhow
    So I got(ta add some leaves and mo')

Oh I'm shameless, shameless as a (wo)man can be
    You make a total fool of me
    I just wanted to you to know

Oh I'm shameless
    I just wanted you to know
    Oh I'm shameless
    Oh I'm down on my knees...shameless

• klem1
    2 months ago

As theatre fall's into darkness the teary eyed audidence stands uprorously applauding the single cast member of a well written tragedy.

• annpat
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Oh, no! I'm going to get blamed for this one. People are going to say that gawdin was normal when we first met her, then there was that thread...

• gawdinfever Z6
    2 months ago

I know; over the top. Was in a tired, slaphappy, silly mood after a stressful week.

But I definitely not 'normal' when it comes to my compost.

• annpat
    Original Author
    2 months ago

I enjoyed it. It's the others who expressed concern about you.

And Klem made us laugh, so that was fun.

• gawdinfever Z6
    2 months ago

lol

I was only trying to make everyone laugh at my composting 'compulsion'.

Klem made me laugh out loud. My son asked me what I was laughing at....

It's all good. Thank you for being thoughtful, annpat!

• annpat
    Original Author
    2 months ago

I get bored, gawdin, and then I lead people down the gawdin path. Thanks for being a good sport, dear.

• klem1
    2 months ago

Family counselors claim problem children are usually only acting out of boredom. I would consider it a win if they went from neighborhood pest to compulsive composter when mature. Just saying of course. ^_^

• annpat
    Original Author
    2 months ago

HAH! HAH! Oh. Wait. Are you talking to gawdin or me? I wasn't a problem child; I was...okay, I was a problem child...but fun. I was wicked fun.

• HighColdDesert
    2 months ago

Anybody else have a compost toilet? We drop in sawdust, wood shavings, or crumbled autumn leaves after every use. There are two chambers, so this one was used until Oct 2020, then closed and not used. Emptied in Oct 2021, it was well decomposed and nothing recognizable, except the wood shavings, which are only half done. Anyway, the idea is turn it out in autumn and cover the pile for winter for more decomposition.

• klem1
    2 months ago

An old thread was recently revived where a lady and her dog each make deposits to their compost every morning. If we start down that road here I yield to those with experience in such practice.

• annpat
    Original Author
    2 months ago

High Cold Desert, OMG. What a set-up! A friend of mine built her own composting toilet when she and her husband built their house, but I believe it had a single chute. And, for some reason, their toilet was literally a throne, with two or three steps up to it, which I always thought might be a problem for elderly users. They had a huge brass bucket next to the toilet, on the throne, filled with a potpourri of leaves, wood shavings, straw, pine cones, cloves---very decorative and the whole situation very pleasant smelling. Does yours use electricity at all?

• old_dirt 6a
    2 months ago

Ah, "problem child"? I won't even go there, that would be 'doing things that's better left alone'.

I do make my personal deposit to the pile whenever I'm out there, which is quite often. I have actually tried diluting it and sprayed it on ornamentals as a foliar fertilizer, not sure if it did anything or not.

As for the composting toilet, I would love to but the DW says "no way"! This past summer we were backpacking in a wilderness area and used one. It was also built up fairly high, I believe to faciliate the removal of the contents by just dragging it out. They had a 55 gallon barrel of wood shavings to add after each use. The odor was actually quite pleasant as they used pine or cedar wood chips, no bad odor what so ever. I might add that it was in need of emptying, as the contents were almost to the top.

• annpat
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Oh, I think you should veto her veto, old_dirt. Tell her about the pretty brass bucket part.

HCD, do you add kitchen scraps?

• deltaohioz5
    2 months ago

My favorite time of year. I get around 130 truck loads from the village every fall.

• gawdinfever Z6
    2 months ago

Delta, I am so envious!!

• annpat
    Original Author
    2 months ago

That's unbelievable! (And the landscape is pretty, too.)

A lot of you probably have some place like that, where the leaves go to reside, nearby.

• old_dirt 6a
    2 months ago

deltaohioz5, That's a LOT of leaves. I'm guessing you have a commercial operatiion? Years ago a nearby city used to dump all the leaves behind the cemetery and we used to get all our fishing worms back there. Not sure if we were allowed to take the leaves. Now I get enough from my own yard and a few bags along the roads to me. I just did my fall garden clean up and got the makings for another pile.

• deltaohioz5
    2 months ago

No not a commercial operation. All of the compost gets used some where on my six acres.

Frank

• party_music50
    2 months ago

You have a beautiful 6 acres, Frank!!!

• HighColdDesert
    2 months ago

Yes, we do add kitchen scraps in our compost toilet. So aside from wood shavings, actually some bones and eggshell chips are still recognizable, but the bones are going.

Today I got 10 big sacks of leaves from a neighbor

• gawdinfever Z6
    last month

I worked hard today, raking, mixing, and piling, spraying. Still nowhere near as sweet a pile as Franks! I still have more to come though. Some on my oak trees are still green! Luckily I get a lot of shredded paper from work too. I'm going to Starbucks tomorrow for some coffee grounds and banana peels! It's the simple things in life that make us happy.

• klem1
    last month

The simple things indeed and I will never look at compost after this without smiling. When newbies ask "is it ok if I ____ my compost" I may just link them here.

• gawdinfever Z6
    last month

lol

I hear ya!

• yolos - 8a Ga. Brooks
    last month

I just finished building three additional wire compost bines. 1 extra one so I can turn my older compost bin easier. 2 more bins for leaves. Here are the 2 leaf bins as I was filling them.

I did not have enough leaves collected to make two full bins 3x3x3. So I combined them into one bin after adding a 1 foot extension and filling a 32 gallon Brute garbage can with the extra leaves. Here is the completed watered leaf bin which now measures 4x3x3.

• Gargamel
    last month

Wow that looks great! Good idea to use zip ties

• annpat
    Original Author
    last month

That's nice looking work. What's your plan for the leaves? Leaf mould? Or storage?

• yolos - 8a Ga. Brooks
    last month

Gargamel - I used the zip ties because I ran out of electric wire. I don't think the zip ties will last too long. So when I turn the piles I plan on replacing them with electric wire. Maybe keep the zip ties for the door to the bin.

Annpat - My plan for the leaves in the bin is to use them for leaf mold. If I need them for browns then I will use them in the compost pile. I do have a 32 gallon trash can full of finely shredded leaves for storage that I can use for compost making before I get into the leaf pile. The leaves are mostly Live Oak Leaves which are super hard to break down. Therefore I may waste a little time keeping them moist and also turning just to keep the pile from compacting too much.

• annpat
    Original Author
    last month

That's exactly what I would do. I think you'll be surprised how long zip ties last.

Your yard looks neat as a pin.

• gawdinfever Z6
    last month

Those are nice bins and your yard looks way neater than mine!

• old_dirt 6a
    2 minutes ago

Had to bump this thread up. This time of year, I add lots to the compost pile. In the past few weeks I've added over 150 remains of filleted bluegills, crappie and perch, 25 at a time. I cover them with leaves, hoping the critters don't get to them. Of course they freeze solid until spring but will really cook up then.