SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sylviatexas1

What Have You Fed Your Compost Pile Today?

sylviatexas1
15 years ago

banana peel

coffee grounds & filter

2 eggshells

couple of sunflower stalks (they had to go; those sticky, itchy leaves grabbed me every time I walked by)

parings from an eyebrow pencil

cash register receipts

shredded junk mail

yesterday's leftover iced tea

Comments (105)

• sylviatexas1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yesterday I found 5 very large, very full bags of fresh grass clippings;
    they were too heavy for me, but the homeowner spied me & loaded them into the car (I can just roll them out of the car into the wheelbarrow).

He said he didn't mean to be nosy, but what was I gonna *do* with that stuff??

so I told him.

& he said, "Where can I get instructions on that?"

& I wrote it down:
    gardenweb
    forums
    Soil Compost & Mulch

Yay!

• blutarski
    15 years ago

various and sundry dead leaves and blooms
    a full bowl of peanut shells and peanuts
    one somewhat dried out aloe vera leaf
    a bunch of dead fern stems
    half a plastic grocery bag full of shredded junk mail, paper towel tubes, and paper towels
    three baby carrots and one sprig of broccoli (raw)
    one apple core

• Related Discussions

April 2009 - What Have You Fed Your Compost Pile Today?

Q

Comments (23)
    I had the most interesting discovery yesterday. I was cleaning out my garage and found a box of stuff that must have been from two thanksgivings ago (so that is 17 months ago). IN this box were some photos, notes and memos and a casserole dish that thought was lost forever. The dish had leftovers in it...from two thanksgivings ago. I must have put it in the box, set it down on the shelf in the garage and forgot where I put it. Anyway, whatever food had been in that dish had completely decomposed to an unrecognizable blob of brown goo. It smelled horrific (anaerobic of course) but was amazing to me. I dumped the blob into my compost pile and am now soaking the dish in bleach and dishsoap. I think it may have either been dressing or sweet potato casserole... just thinking about what I may have brought to dinner... I'm not sure if I will ever be able to use that dish again though.
    ...See More

May 2010 What Have You Fed Your Compost Pile Today?

Q

Comments (61)
    one of our layer hens who outlived 2 hawk attacks but decided to quietly succumb to the night before turning a year old (moment of silence) kitchen scraps mad-science experiments found in the back of the fridge 5 gals. chicken manure one nearly fully-formed chick and its egg remnants (1st-time broody hen isn't the smartest and squished the poor egg 2 wks before hatching) too many egg shells to count UCGs a few wheelbarrows full of weeds, mostly thistle a few wheelbarrows full of soiled chick bedding 20 gals. pizzaria kitchen prep and leftovers one ground squirrel who couldn't outrun our dog a lot of rain shredded leaves from last fall to cover the odors We saw a bear last week on the other side of the property. Last night some beastie was poking around the house/garage/compost; dogs were barking in middle of night then excitedly following many-a-scent trail this morning. Now I'm wondering if I buried everything "deep enough". Doh!
    ...See More

July 2009 What Have You Fed Your Compost Pile Today?

Q

Comments (54)
    lots and lots of weeds. seeds and all. mostly plantains. also over grown cosmos, poppy. annual painted daisy shasta daisy flops etc... pretty much 5 wheel barrels full of greens and a few shovel fulls of pine chips. i'm just piling it up till fall. stinks to high heck. but come fall it will be easy to mix in some(tons) of leaves. no worries on the stench.it's about 20 or so yards from the house. my closest neighbor is 2 football feilds away and owns horses. snicker... i tell DH is the horses. this is my 3rd or 4th batch this year and since i ran out of hoarded leaves i decided to cold compost for a while. pile it up and let it stink.i mean rot i mean compost. lol.
    ...See More

September Thread: What Have You Fed Your Compost Pile Today?

Q

Comments (50)
    Sylvia, I keep them for a bit before adding them, since they crack up/crush up so much easier when they have dried out. And they are much less slimey. We buy our eggs by the 2.5 dozen -- as I crack an egg, the shell goes back in the carton. Egg shells from boiled eggs are already in pieces, so those go straight into the next compost donation. When I have a bunch of egg shells all dried out, I mash them or break them up. It all depends on how destructive I'm feeling at the time. When hubby is in charge of frying eggs, those shells end up in the compost sooner. I'm surprised he hasn't complained about the empties in the fridge -- the only time he ever said anything was when they got left out and attracted bugs.
    ...See More
  • rjinga
    15 years ago

Fruit cocktail....pineapple rind, old grapes, old bananas, cantelope rinds, strawberries...shame really to waste this amount of fruit :( but my pile didn't mind one bit

• d_giffin
    15 years ago

I don't want to know what is in my crock. Do I have to look?!? Heehee!

• luckygal
    15 years ago

d giffin, don't look, just dump once a day. :)

Last night I went out in a drizzle and dumped a few pounds of UCG on my new weird compost pile. It's now steaming! I had also turned it earlier in the day. This is my compost PILE as opposed to my compost BIN so I now have two going! WooHoo! I think I have officially joined the cult of the composters.

Wonder what odd thing I'm going to do next! I read this forum daily and wonder where I can get more stuff to compost.

• shebear
    15 years ago

Watered it after adding some kitchen waste and the yard waste. The first pile has dropped noticably since the warm weather and rains. Looks like I'll have a happy fall garden.

• blutarski
    15 years ago

I've read back through what I added over the past few weeks- most of that is unrecognizable now, so I must be doing something right.

Since the volume has been markedly reduced in my tiny bin, I thought I'd start layering some more stuff.

Started with a layer of dead, well-aged leaves.

Added at least a quart of chopped up old vegetables and strawberries.

left over french fries with cheese sauce.

added a few petunia plants that never found a home and had withered.

added a half bagel I found on our parking pad.

covered it with a thinnish layer of shredded paper, cardboard, a paper fiber drink holder (also shredded)and a few paper towels.

My recyclng success story: ordered out from a local pizzeria for dinner- between recycling, composting (and eating, of course!) the only thing that went into the garbage was the plastic lid the fries came in.

• wonderpets
    15 years ago

Yippee! I get to contribute to the thread.

Daughter and I carried out:
    12 crushed egg shells
    potato skin and some remains
    carrot peelings
    onion bits
    garlic skins
    mushrooms past their prime
    two toilet paper tubes

and the newest addition to my list:
    dryer lint!

Later today, I'm going to raid some fallen limbs for dried leaves. I saw a huge worm underneath the pile and the usual herds of rolypolys.

• Flowerhen
    15 years ago

WHAT IS UP WITH THE BREAD???? and sugary stuff too???
    And how about the kitty litter/?? You aren't suppose to put cat or dog stuff into the compost pile. It isn't healthy. I have seen and read this several times.
    Just a bit confused on what people are using for compost?? Now, those of your who use bread,,and banana pudding......??? How does your compost look and smell when it is finished??

• blutarski
    15 years ago

ctufts, avert your eyes...

Today:

4-5 left over pieces of toast and bread

an apple core

left over carrots (canned)

a few cubes of fruit (melon)

one used tea bag

one african violet leaf

a few petunia blooms

half a bag of shredded cardboard, junkmail, and paper towels

an inch thick, four inch wide disk of left over fibermax, which had solidified.

Turned, stirred and aerated.

• blutarski
    15 years ago

As I look back over my past posts in this thread, I can say that most of what's in my bin isn't recognizable. It's not a pile of goo and it doesn't smell like dumpster in August, so I must be doing SOMETHING right.

Today, I added:

some dead flower blooms

a live opuntia pad (I put it in, then flipped the bin right side up, so I not too concerned I'll have prickly pear growing in my compost any time soon.

• sylviatexas1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

cactus in the compost?

never had that, but I do have a couple of iris & an elephant ear!

Can I count stuff that's been whacked down but won't actually be added to the pile til tomorrow (I just gave out & had to come inside!)?

If so, today I "added":
    a ton of prunings from trees & roses
    some Starbucks grounds
    a trash bag full of teabags from a restaurant
    2 banana peels
    & a dead bird.

• blutarski
    15 years ago

Since this is my first attempt at composting, I'm trying to stop adding and let it do its thang until it's done, so I know what 'real' compost looks like for the future.

For the most part, I was able to forbear:

a couple dead petunia blooms

a couple dead sempervivum leaves.

There's a cobwebby mold growing over the top of the pile, and I can feel the heat coming off of it.

• sylviatexas1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

naw naw naw, don't pass up those little bits;
    don't pass up *anything*.

What you want is a constant state of rotting-ness in your garden;

Those little bits are the beginning of your next compost pile!

• Flowerhen
    15 years ago

blutarski,,,"cobwebby mold growing"? Must be the bread !!
    LOLOLOL

• blutarski
    15 years ago

I don't have room for a quarter of the compostibles my family produces! I'd need a municipal sized pile, sylvia! :)

ctufts, i think the mold's from the strawberries I threw in last week- i remember seeing a similar type on them, which is why they hit the bin in the first place.

either way, it's welcome.

• lisatx04
    15 years ago

Was outsidse already, tryig to beat the Texas heat. So I added the contents of my kitchen crock: orange rids, eggshells, mango pit and fruit, crusts from 3 of son's sandwiches, 12 tea bags and whatever else hubby put in there (he is so proud of himself heehee) plus the compostable bag I line the crock with; coffee filters and grinds from a neighbor, dryer lint, grass clippings, 1/2 glass of ice tea and rice from dinner last night. I then turned and took the temp: 118.

Later on, (in the heat), it will be shredded paper, tp rolls, Starbucks UCG and more grass clippings. Plus whatever else I find around the house today.

• exit_109
    15 years ago

Lotsa dog hair lately; our lab is shedding.

• petalpatsy
    15 years ago

prunings from the wild cherry tree that engulfs my front walk
    prunings from some bushes alongside my drive
    watermelon rind
    old lettuce, mushrooms, green pepper
    eggshells
    week old breadsticks
    pizza crusts
    moldy hamburger buns
    moldy old bread
    :)
    toilet paper tube
    cup-o-pee
    :))

• packrats_r_us
    15 years ago

I am new here, but love to compost. I've received permission from several cemetary care givers to access the dead plants and cut floweres that they throw in their dumpsters after Memorial Day. They continue to clear the grave sites all summer long so there is a continual supply. They also have piles of leaves and grass clippings. I've already built 4 huge compost piles this spring. Last year I found a huge refuse pile they had been using for at least 30 years. Found lots of finished compost there. Connie

• lilacs_of_may
    15 years ago

I planted a blueberry plant that was wrapped in brown paper and wood shavings, so I added those.

Cardboard, cut up into small pieces (my new watching-TV busywork).

Weed and grass clippings.

I have half a plastic grocery bag of more cardboard to add tomorrow.

• d_giffin
    15 years ago

Thanks o your suggestions, lots of shredded junkmail and newspapers, egg shells crushed up, strawberry tops, stale bread, a bagel half-eaten, rotten fruit and vegetables, coffee grounds, tuff that was pulled out of the gutters (boy does it look rich!), dog hair, and a bunch of other stuff.

• sudzy
    15 years ago

Last night I cleaned out the pantry. The compost pile received-- old rice, macaroni, boxed scalloped potatoes (yuck hate them) some oatmeal, and urine.

This am. I added 1/3 of straw and urine.

• blutarski
    15 years ago

"I am new here, but love to compost. I've received permission from several cemetary care givers to access the dead..."

I read this sentence and was a bit afraid where this was going!

Today, added a shriveled leaf from my madagascar palm and a few of the ubiquitous dead petunia blooms.

admired the mould in my bin, then stirred the pile and flipped the bin on it's head.

• Demeter
    15 years ago

Cat hork (hairball + breakfast, ew) and the paper towels I cleaned it up with

Used pine sawdust kitty litter

Nasty hateful "religious" tract someone left on my car - somehow putting it in with the kitty litter and cat hork was appropriate

Junk mail

A garbage can full of dryer lint

Tonight - cleaning out the fridge!

• Demeter
    15 years ago

>WHAT IS UP WITH THE BREAD???? and sugary stuff too???
    And how about the kitty litter/?? You aren't suppose to put cat or dog stuff into the compost pile. It isn't healthy. I have seen and read this several times.

If it was OK for you to eat it, it can be composted.

There's a lot of debate on kitty and dog "stuff" in the piles - basically what it comes down to for me is, I use biodegradeable litter (pine sawdust pellets) that has lots of nice nitrogen on it by the time seven cats are done with it, plus all of my cats are indoor cats, healthy, and haven't been outdoors for years so they can't be passing toxo, which is the most common concern, and there are enough outdoor cats, raccoons, squirrels, possums and skunks in my neighborhood that it doesn't matter anyway - there's animal poo around no matter what I do. So I might as well bury the cat feces and compost the litter. Hey, maybe some of the neighborhood cats are attracted to the pile instead of doing their business in my planters ...

I compost meats, dairy products and oils, too, with nary a problem - from blenderizing leftovers and pouring the resulting sludge into the pile and covering with leaves, to occasionally putting a dead squirrel into the pile whole.

• greengardener07
    15 years ago

I put in some:

eggs shells
    UCG's and filters
    used paper towels
    used paper towel/toilet paper rolls
    some extra grass clippings (to heat up the pile!)
    old bread crusts (just for you annpat) >8-D
    old rolls (just for you annpat) >8-D
    tomato plant clippings
    spent blooms on various plants

• blutarski
    15 years ago

Just a few dead petunia blooms today...

• lisatx04
    15 years ago

Today I added UCG from Starbucks, kitchen scraps from the kitchen crock, plus the bag that goes in the crock; tp rolls, brown bags; a half of a roll, cornmeal, dry pasta, dryer lint and a magazine made of recycled paper.

Turned it and put it to bed.

• blutarski
    15 years ago

half a sub roll
    4 banana peels
    a big bowl of watermelon rinds
    a pint of old bean soup
    old salsa
    old hummus
    one raw egg (my wife threw out the shell by mistake)
    coffee grounds and filter
    tea bag
    left over cereal and whatever milk it had absorbed
    moldy applesauce
    a bag of cut up cardboard and newspaper
    one kleenex with blood in it (nosebleed)

• bob64
    15 years ago

Liquid coffee, coffe grounds, clippings of mugwort, some other dead dried out weeds, a sprinkle of composted manure, a sprinkle of soil and some decomposed wood chips full of earthworms (it's a cold pile).

• wonderpets
    15 years ago

UCG from work
    leftover salad-in-the-bag from camping two weekends ago
    watermelon rind
    leftover apple cinnamom cheerios/fruity cheerios
    bits of two cucumbers (Out of my garden! Yahoo!)
    tomato bits from husband's tomatoes
    week old leftovers of squash, zuchinni, onion, yellow bell pepper, and corn
    misc paper towels used to soak up watermelon juice
    dryer lint
    huge mess o'shredded paper from the office

what I need to add most right now is a half-pitchfork. Not in the pile itself but in my tool stash.

• sunnyside1
    15 years ago

It was cool last night so I made chili. Bought a can of cheap beer to put some in, and the chili was delicious. This morning I dumped the rest of the can in the compost along with onion peels, cut-up grapefruit rind, coffee grounds and filter, lettuce trimmings, tomato trimmings. Thought it was such a waste to dump the beer, but I don't like it to drink. It was either going to compost or septic system and I tried to choose the lesser of the evils. Don't have any slug problem. Hope it didn't nurt my microbe babies.
    Sunny

• blutarski
    15 years ago

a bag of old lettuce and croutons
    ucg and filter
    some type of plant that my dad gave me that didn't survive transplanting
    a small pot of dead blooms, stems and misc. plant parts.
    a good pound of cut up cotton t-shirt.
    a shopping bag full of shredded newspaper.

have sooo much stuff that could be composted...I feel like buying land just to use for composting.

• blutarski
    15 years ago

my bin was afire with heat today! easily the hottest it's been.

but, it smelled muy garbagioso

so...

added a bunch of shredded paper and some paper napkins, gave it a good stir.

• lisatx04
    15 years ago

Today I added:

corn, husks and cobs
    eggshells
    blueberries
    napkins, paper towels
    old bread
    hot dog rolls
    rice
    newspaper

• jbann23
    15 years ago

A nice fat package of dried seaweed, 1/2 cup rice flour, flower deadheads, 1/2 cup tiny dried fish of some kind, a bunch of bolting spinach, dried maple leaves, UCG's, a bunch of old seeds saved from last year, a handfull of beet greens, a cup of powdered milk. That should make a healthy mix.

• lisatx04
    15 years ago

This afternoon I added
    stale pretzels
    crackers that son no longer eats
    some dry cereal left in the empty box
    2 cereal boxes, shredded
    mango peel

• david52 Zone 6
    15 years ago

I'm filling up empty cereal boxes with all the scraps and hand-shredded junk mail, UCG, iced tea bags, and what not, and taking the full boxes down to the pile. A DS16 and a DD10 between themselves will eat a whole box of breakfast cereal every day.

• lindawisconsin
    15 years ago

The vacumn cleaner bag
    Japanese beetles and the water they've been sitting overnight in.
    All the weeds from the vegetable garden
    some nice fresh horse manure

• sfg_newbie
    15 years ago

4 lemon wedges and 4 lime wedges
    1 piece of lettuce that decorated my plate
    (both of the above were packed away in a Ziploc baggie at the restaurant table)
    a week's worth of coffee grounds & filters from my aunt
    a few pea pods

• sylviatexas1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

receipts from a couple of grocery stores
    coffee grounds & filters
    tea bags
    what was left of yesterday's coffee & tea
    shredded junk mail
    shavings from sharpening 2 pencils
    salvia stalks

• blutarski
    15 years ago

a feather i found in our yard

3-4 flower stalks from a blue spruce sedum. I was going to put the dead flowers in, but I had visions of sedum springing up in and around everything next year.

• lilacs_of_may
    15 years ago

I spent a couple hours in the heat weeding my back yard of sticklers and the like, and they all got tossed into the compost bin. I also deadheaded some irises and lopped off some dead canes from one of my lilacs. Those went in. I carried out a biobag full of kitchen scraps, mostly garlic trimmings from the garlic I've been harvesting.

And I've got a plastic bag of thin "cereal box" type cardboard to dump in as "browns" after I put in a nice layer of greens.

• slo_garden
    15 years ago

coffee grounds
    egg shells
    corn husks and cobs
    vegetable peels

• petalpatsy
    15 years ago

Starbucks coffe grounds
    -- I'd never asked the Target store before, and the guy started to spoon some grounds into a papercup! I said, Here, dump them all in this bag. I had an interested audience of five who asked "What are you going to do with those?" Man, I was tempted to say, "Oh! It's a lot of work, and it gets really stinky, but I put them on my garden and grass, one particle at a time." I mean, if everybody starts snagging them, one day, I could ask, and GASP! they could already be gone.

I told the truth. Do I get a gold star?

• lisatx04
    15 years ago

green and red pepper scraps
    onion peel and onion
    cinnamon-raisin bread that nobody liked
    eggshells
    oregano
    thin cardboard box
    water

• sylviatexas1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

yep, patsy, you get a gold star!

• earthworm73
    15 years ago

Egg Shells
    Paper towels
    Spoiled fruit
    Dryer lint
    Spoiled Straw
    Garden Trimmings
    Shreded Junkmail
    Alfalfa Meal
    TeePee rolls with a little bit of teepee on it
    UCG

Yup I have one of those compost bins that used to be a wine barrel. I opened it the other day and whooo it smelled to high hell, plus lots of hairy mold. Well I added some straw and mixed it with a fork instead of turning the barrel. I guess I added too much water or too much green material. I will keep adding paper and the like to try to soak up some of the moisture. Despite all of this it was getting warm but not hot. It's interesting reading what everyone compost. Even the wife is getting all into it. Most of the time she will ask if I want something for the compost and yesterday she even with to a big bix store and bought a small garbage can to sit on the kitchen counter for composting.

Larrick

• sylviatexas1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

In order to keep the length of these posts a little more manageable, there's now a "July" What Have You Fed Your Pile Today thread.

Please post your "offerings" on that thread!