SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jennifer_kim275

Progress payments - whole house renovation

Jenn
2 years ago

I’m actually embarrassed to post this. I am a home owner going through a renovation for the first time. This is a large project including replacing the flooring, major bathroom renovation, structural changes etc. I was nervous and after much research on reviews and interviewing several companies decided to go with a licensed company that called themselves a “design and build firm” - sounded exactly what I needed. A company that would handle it all, from engineering, permits to finding all the vendors etc.

I am 4 months into the project with not a single room completed. I have been making progress payments every time they initiate the work. For example they asked me to make the $10k payment for flooring but only 2 bedrooms out of the entire house has flooring installed. When they started painting these 2 bedrooms they charged me the full house painting fees. They charged me the full amount for master bathroom tile install but they started 3 weeks ago and no one has come to finish for the last 2 weeks. I have now paid $80k in labor fees alone.

To be fair there’s a lot waiting on the city to approve permits. But while we are waiting for permits they are not doing anything else, like fixing the drywall and painting the other bedrooms.

I started tracking when they come. In the last 2 months they have worked on the house for less than 10 days total.

To add salt to the wounds their workers have left half eaten sandwiches around that started growing mold, left an open bag of chips in my $1200 vanity etc.

We submitted the permit application 3 months ago and have needed to do corrections over and over. Each time it takes 3 weeks to resubmit. I’m starting to think it’s the firm and not the city. The city has actually been fast, response/review/times within 1 week.

I’ve had multiple conversations with the project manager saying I was frustrated with the lack of communication, the trash and how no one is showing up for weeks at a time. It’s excuse after excuse. “We will catch up soon I promise.”

Please do not beat me up in the comments about not doing enough research or how I should have read the contract better - I’ve been beating myself up for the last 3 months.

My question for this community is after rereading the contract, it says in bold that it is illegal for a company to collect payment on work that hasn’t been completed. Was it illegal for them to collect payment for a phase (like painting) to start but not finish? I am still trying to work it out with the firm as I’m desperate to finish this project but starting to think about what my next course of action will be if this continues.

Thank you in advance for reading this em incredibly long message.

Comments (5)