SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
belle_phoebe

Progress in my 1843 kitchen (and whole house) renovation...

belle_phoebe
14 years ago

Thanks to many of you on this board, my kitchen is coming along and is about 6 weeks in. Here's what we've accomplished so far:

1) Week 1: Tear out all of the plaster walls in the kitchen. Much, much too crooked to mount inset cabinets on. Gave us a chance to insulate the walls, at least.

Week 2: Carpenters sister new studs to old and straighten walls. Add insulation, new drywall. Paint 1st coat on ceiling (light gray) and walls (creamy yellow).

Week 3 & 4: Cream inset Shiloh cabinets go in around stained antique hutch. Island cabinets stained to match hutch. New window trim for one window (to match the rest in the house). Crown moulding goes up. (Extremely tedious because of crooked ceiling.)

Week 5: Hardwood floor refinished with two coats. Third will go on after kitchen is complete. Ikea butcher block cut to fit counter along two walls. Stained and five coats of Waterlox. Island templated for Luce de Luna White Quartzite.

Week 6: This week the carpenters are supposed to install the appliances (Red Aga Legacy, everything else stainless) and finish out all of the trim. We should be able to install the wood countertops and 4 schoolhouse light fixtures, as well as finish all the painting. After that, it is just waiting for the stone to be finished so that the sink island will be done. Backsplash and cabinet hardware will come later, once I've had a chance to live with it for a while.

Meanwhile, we have finally gotten a contract on our current house and are scheduled to close in 4 weeks, which means we've been racing to get the rest of our new house ready to move into and pack up the old one, too. Currently working on the second floor living areas, including 2 new bathrooms and 4 bedrooms, and hardwoods throughout the house. A little crazy right now, so please forgive the lack of pics. No time to post them right now!

Hopefully the room will start to be photo-worthy soon.

Comments (2)