SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tinakauh

where to put dining room table if there's a bay window

tina kauh
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

dining room lighting/furniture placement help needed: the main space in the dining room is 13' x 15.5'. there's also a large bay window that adds about 2 more feet of depth, so the room is effectively 13' x 17.5' in terms of floor space. currently, the table and chandelier are centered in the room. on one end of the table is the bay window. on the other end is a buffet. if i center the table in the main part of the room, spacing feels very tight for the chair near the buffet. similarly, spacing also feels tight on the side of the table that's adjacent to the china cabinet. i'm replacing our single chandelier with two chandeliers, so i'm having an electrician move the wiring, and it's an opportunity to rethink where the table and chandeliers sit in the room. (chandeliers will be centered over the table, wherever it ends up.) i'm struggling with maximizing the functionality of the space vs. visual symmetry.

should i keep everything centered in the main part of the room (ignoring the space from the bay window) or should i factor in the space from the bay window? if i do that, then the china cabinet won't be centered with the table, or should i center it with the table and not center it with the wall?

and should i push the table over so that it's an extra foot away from the china cabinet? if i do that, the table won't be centered with the bay window.

***edited to add photos of the room. excuse the horrible mess! also, the drawing is to scale (1/2 inch = 1 ft)

Comments (14)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH