SHOP BY DEPARTMENT
hanzliks_hanzlik

Do you feel old?

sal 60 Hanzlik
7 days ago

I'm soon to be 84 but I feel young in an old body. How about you?

Comments (51)

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    7 days ago

Oh I feel old. I just don't look it, according to some people.

I miss not having aches and pains...

• Elizabeth
    7 days ago

I have been told, often, that I look much younger than I am. I feel young mentally but that number...Oy...that number.

Some days I am achy and slow moving and tired and I feel every day of my advanced age.

I am still somewhat surprised when I have to say the number out loud. In a "that can't be right" kind of way.

• Related Discussions

What happened 1961-2011

Q

Comments (4)
    This was fun, I'm older than dirt, so my children were the ones about '61 and all that good stuff. Parents get so upset when their children don't follow "the traditions" and I remember my mother telling me Grandfather was very upset when she dated and then married my dad in 1922: he wore belted coats and his hair was slicked back like Valentino's and he smoked cigarettes and he encouraged my mom to be a "Flapper". I wonder what he did to make his folks mad, sure there was something (now all that was in Germany)
    ...See More

Do you feel you wear the correct style clothes for your age

Q

Comments (37)
    I work in a high-tech company where most everyone is in their 20s and 30s. I'm a good 15 years older than anyone in my graphics team, including my manager. Ouch. As such, I really try not to dress in anything that might draw attention to my age. I try to be current without being trendy. And because I work closely with the officers and upper management of the company I have to look professional at all times. This means sensible tops, jackets, jewelry, slacks and pumps except on Casual Fridays when I wear a nice pair of jeans and a sweater or comfortable top. T-shirts are not allowed in our group, even though we are considered the "artsy, creative" kind who often throw caution to the wind when it comes to fashion. Jodi-
    ...See More

Have to tell you, I saw a lot of OLD people, now I feel old!

Q

Comments (19)
    Glenda, I'm so glad that you had fun at your reunion! Stan and I went to my 25th and we had a ball. We sat with a big group of my girlfriends and their husbands and the fellows all got along so well that you would have thought that it was their reunion! My 40th is in two years and I'm planning on being there. I always think about the speech that Suzanne Sugarbaker(on Designing Woman)gave at her 15th class reunion...this little bit is from just about the end of the speech, I always think about it when thinking about going to class reunions... "Because when I look around this room tonight, I don't see receding hairlines and the beginnings of pot-bellies and crow's feet. I just see all the beautiful faces of old girlfriends and sweet young boys who used to stand on my front porch and try to kiss me goodnight. And you can remember me any way you'd like, but that's how I'll always remember you."
    ...See More

Cross stitch...boy do I feel old!!

Q

Comments (12)
    What you all need is an Ott light,or a replica of one.The light from them is brighter and a true light if you know what i mean.I also use a mag eyes magnifying glass like this. http://www.amazon.com/MagEyes-Plus-Magnifier-BiFocal-lenses/dp/B0001DU9TI I've had mine for years.I also had the one that hangs around your neck,but didn't like that one. I stitch almost every night and sometimes during the day if it's too hot to work in the gardens. Kathi
    ...See More
  • gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    7 days ago

I am kind of astounded at how old I actually am. Never gave any serious thought about "being old" and then it just kind of caught up with me!

Some days (and some times of day) I definitely feel my age but most of the time I don't (and if I can avoid looking in a mirror, I really don't :-)). My heart and my head have me firmly in my 40's. I only wish my body could follow that trick!

• sealavender
    7 days ago

Usually, no, I don't. Today, though, after working some tight areas in yoga and doing some hardcore weeding in the yard, perhaps I do.

• Zalco/bring back Sophie!
    7 days ago
    last modified: 7 days ago

Nope, 53 and still feel young. I have good genes and do my bit. I worry, however, about the sand in the hour glass. I like it here :-)

PS Feeling young is so much about luck too. While I boast about doing my bit, getting sick is often random and has nothing to do with your efforts. I will never forget the first time I caught the flu. I was 20 and by the time I was well enough to shower, I had to take a break and catch my breath midway through bathing. I learned that day what old must feel like.

• terezosa / terriks
    7 days ago

I saw this on a t-shirt. It kind of sums up how I feel.

Zalco, from where I'm standing, you are young!

• wildchild2x2
    7 days ago

It's been a great year for me. I turned 70 in the Spring. I think I have gone backwards. I feel younger than I did a few years ago. Riding horses as much as I do now has made me fitter and stronger both physically and mentally. I never thought I would find something that gives me such pleasure at this stage of my life. I love the young adults and teens working at the ranch. I am treated more as a hand than a student. Everyone is so supportive and there is never any ageism from either end. My mentor is closer to my own age. He knows when I need more. I will be getting more soon. Lots of adventures, more horses, new accomplishments and skills lie ahead. Basically I have a second family. I get up looking forward to the next day of horses. So I feel younger than I have in several years.

I've always looked l younger than my years. The years have been kind to my face. Gravity is my worst enemy body wise but clothes hide that. People are always surprised to learn my age.

I do feel old when I revisit the past. I went to a birthday party for a very old friend recently and I felt stuck in the middle. The new ones in the group looked like they should still be in school, and the older ones were battered and broken, using walkers and canes etc. Because the people that mattered most to me during my life were always quite a bit older than me I have lost far too many and I feel like I will be the last one standing. I have few left in my life to relate to my history. That's why I feel so blessed to have found my new horse family. I am making new memories.

• nickel_kg
    7 days ago

Mentally no, I don't feel "old", rather I feel "experienced" -- wiser than I used to be. That's good. Physically, muscles tire out and get sore faster than they used to, but could be worse.

• nicole___
    7 days ago

I look my age or older. Yes....I feel very old.

• Toronto Veterinarian
    7 days ago

I do today - some days I do, some days I don't. I just turned 60 last week, and if I think about the number, I feel old. If I don't think about the number, I don't.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    7 days ago

"Old" may be relative :-)

Zalco, at only 53, you ARE still young!! I had just started my second career at that age. And Toro Vet, 60 is not all that old either.

I'll turn 73 in a week or so and still feel young when with my sibs, both of whom are in their 80's. We are all pretty fit but they might be even fitter than baby sister :-) I am amazed my 83 year old brother still plays handball 3 times a week!

• Chi
    7 days ago

It really sneaks up. I'm 38 and it's hard for me to process that I'll be 40 in a few years. When I was younger I always thought 40 was when you start getting old officially but my stance on that has changed!

• dedtired
    7 days ago

Ha ha, Chi. You are younger than my kids! i find that as I age, I look back and think that I had no idea how young I was at the time.

This sums it up for me

• Rose Pekelnicky
    7 days ago

I'm 72, didn't feel really old until this past year. I blame it on too much just sitting around. Although last weekend I drove to visit my son who lives 200 miles away. They have 2 children, ages 2 and 5. I can sit on the floor and play with them, something my DIL's mother, who is 5 years older than me can't do. So I didn't feel so old then.

• Kathsgrdn
    7 days ago

Old, back has been hurting lately due to no walking for many weeks now. Went to Lexington and walked around downtown this evening and it helped some. I'm on vacation and my exchange students are on Fall break so tomorrow we're going walking in a pretty and historic cemetery tomorrow in Frankfort. It overlooks the river. Later in the week we're going on a little hike in Raven Run outside of Lexington. Not too strenuous for this old lady. We may go later this week to Red River Gorge but I think my hiking days in that area are over. We'll just take the sky lift up to see the natural bridge and take it back down. Last time I did the hike down, in the Springtime, it nearly killed me.

• amylou321
    7 days ago

No. But I am not old. I'll be 37 in January. I feel pretty good. I never understood the sort of universal horror around turning 30. It was certainly presented to me as a critical turning point by my elders. No disaster happened, I didn't gain a ton of weight, get wrinkles, or find it more difficult or painful to do physical activity, as I was warned. I feel no sense of foreboding at turning 40 either. Its just a number. My oldest sister nearing had a come apart when she turned 40 last year. I hope my spirit and attitude remains what could be considered the stereotype of "young." I do not ever want to be a grumpy "old" fuddy duddy. Then again, I think the fuddy duddy take on life will age you in body, mind and spirit more than the passing of years will.

I do find myself annoyed at my younger coworkers and their attitudes and I catch myself and think I am slipping into fuddy duddy mode. Then I remember that I get annoyed at my older coworkers and their attitudes as well and think I am slipping into whippersnapper mode. So its aaaaaaaall about balance clearly...

• patriciae_gw
    7 days ago

When I was 37 I was diagnosed with a cancer that ought to have killed me. It is like being fast forwarded to some different place. I was suddenly old. Since then I have gone backwards and forward but never back to that time when I was an inbetweener. It is what it is. Now I really am old at 69 which is for me something to celebrate. I have no right to still be here so I have to be amazed and thrilled to still be around. Now I have a new challenge . So it goes. So I am old? I could be dead. In the history of humanity most of us would be dead so we all ought to feel happy to be here.

• samkarenorkaren
    7 days ago

I just turned 60 and don't look or feel my age. Some say I look 40ish and I can still get out on the dance floor and disco

• eld6161
    7 days ago

I used to be taken for a much younger age for most of my life. Now, it has caught up with me.

Also, the daily aches and pains make me feel old.

• bpath
    7 days ago

I was feeling fine until I got some RMD charts for my inherited IRA. The IRS bases my RMDs on my life expectancy: 21 years! I’m 64! I’d better get going on my bucket list.

• Ninapearl
    7 days ago

i'm 70 and suffer the ravages of osteoarthritis. it seems like every day, there's a new ache or pain. this condition has really put a dent in what used to be a very active lifestyle.

but hey, my titanium hips are only 21! lol

• Rusty
    7 days ago

I have grandkids older than Amylou and Chi! And a health problem that cropped up when I was 29 made it doubtful that I would see 30. But miracles do happen, so here I am, I don't feel old unless I look in a mirror or stand up and walk around. Osteoarthritis is the bane of my existence. My mind and my body are constantly at war, my mind says "Oh what a beautiful day, let's do thus and such!" My body snarls back with "HA! Try it and you'll see just how much pain I can really cause!"

So I try not to complain and do the best I can. I am grateful for these last 50 plus 'extra' years I've been blessed with.

Rusty

• jane__ny
    7 days ago

I'm 72 will be 73 next month. I have never felt so old, beaten down, depressed and I look it. I can barely look in the mirror. My body is holding up, however I've lost a lot of weight. I weight about what I did in my teens.

Went through Shingles on my scalp in January, which left me with nerve damage on my scalp which is so painful. Lost my husband after 3 months of many hospitalizations, trying to demand his doctors, etc would do better. Exhausting. Then Covid, which made everything so much more difficult. Hospital wouldn't allow me to visit because of Shingles, then as Covid numbers kept rising, stopped visitations, on and on. Then I lost him.

Through it all I sometimes wondered how I was still walking, breathing. It has truly taken its told. The loneliness, the paperwork, just dealing with it all.

I think it brought my age to the front. I'm still functioning, but not like I was when I was younger. Maybe because when you are young, you have kids to raise, work, etc. At my age, you don't have those things to keep you in the here and now.

Yes, I do feel very old.

Jane

• lily316
    7 days ago

I remember turning 30 and buying myself Love cosmetics because I now was OLD! We had the slogan, 'never trust anyone over 30 'and here I was. I was doing okay until the pandemic and the almost total isolation of the past 19 months has really aged me mentally but I still do my four-mile hike on the Appalachian trail every single day up and down rocks without even breathing hard. Some of my friends use canes. So it is what it is. When my friends and I say the number, we think how is this possible?

• aok27502
    7 days ago

I turned 59 this week, and mostly I don't feel old. Some days my back hurts when I get up, but it goes away after a bit. No other physical complaints, and I can still do pretty much anything I want.

Some days when I look in the mirror, Aunt Sally looks back. She's 92, but I look just like her and can see exactly where I'm going. On the other hand, she'll live to 112, so I have hope!

• arkansas girl
    7 days ago

I don't feel old...knock on wood! I will be 59 soon! I have to laugh at people 30 or 40 thinking they are SOOOO OOOOOLD! When I look at photos taken of me when I was 40, I still look like a KID! Now I see an old woman in the mirror...I do not like it one bit! I don't feel as old as I look. I still feel the same as I did when I was 40 but I look older now. I don't have wrinkles, but I have the sag in my face. Wrinkles do not run in my family. You don't have to have wrinkles to look old, the sag is what makes us look old.

I must have pretty good bones because a couple of months ago, I fell while out walking the dog. I tripped, fell flat on my face and knees so hard that my nose was bleeding. At that instant, I realized how quickly your physical health can be taken away from you. I take it for granted, walking 3 miles a day with my dog. I was very lucky to not have broken anything because I hit hard and it happened so fast! UGH! A word of caution, if you are a walker or a jogger, always make sure your shoe strings are tied up securely! I fell because my dog stepped in front of me, I had to step to the side and when I did, I stepped on my shoe string loop that was too long. My body moved forward, but my feet were planted firmly in place and didn't move! UGH! Never in my life has anything so freak happened to me! SHEESH!!!!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    7 days ago

I have a dear friend who is bedridden with arthritis and is 97 yrs old. She told me that she thought by this age, she'd feel old, but she still doesn't. She said she feels no different than when she was in her 50s. Bless her!

I think feeling old has a lot more to do with feeling healthy than old. When my body is strong and well, I feel young. When it cranks and causes me issues, not so much.

I do remember having a hard time when I turned 50, and now I think how wonderful it would be to turn 50 again!

But I guess I don't feel as old as I am. I remember when the pandemic hit and they were talking about the elderly being more vulnerable and I was like, yeah that makes sense...until I realized they were including me!! Wait...what?? *I'm* not *elderly*!!!

DH is amazing though. At 81 he certainly doesn't look or act it. He's often mistaken for someone in his 60s. Long may he wave.

• sal 60 Hanzlik
    Original Author
    7 days ago

Jane I am so sorry at what you have gone through.

• lindaohnowga
    7 days ago

I'm 82 and yes, I feel old but I'm still thankful for each day of life that I am given and I count my many blessings.

• vgkg Z-7 Va
    7 days ago

I peaked out at 60. Still in very good health but know my limits. Had to shrink my garden over the post 60 years as I shrunk......but to be fair it was more like a mini-farm. Get more stiff as time goes on too, the tin man syndrome.

• blfenton
    7 days ago

I know this won't make much sense but I've always thought and believed that middle-age starts at 70. Maybe it's an attitude thing or something else but I've never let a number define what I should or should not do or should or should not think.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    7 days ago

vgkg, have you tried flax seed oil? Get the high lignan stuff. Helps lubricate everything.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    7 days ago

A gal I know has a bumper sticker that says:

Inside every old person is a young one wondering what the hell happened.

• marilyn_c
    7 days ago

Some days, yes. Some days not so much. I will turn 75 tomorrow. That sure does sound old to me. I remember when I turned 60. Every morning my first thought was....I am 60. :( Now, 15 years later, I don't think of that. My first thought every morning, is Jody is gone. However, most mornings are good, as far as how I feel physically goes. I listen to a radio program on my phone every Monday thru Friday from 8 to 11. A couple of years ago, he was saying how old people ache all over. I thought, well, I don't. And I didn't. I had no pain. I had a bad knee replaced 7 years ago, and that took care of all my pain. Anyway, now, I can better relate.

I am not up to par this morning because an old friend called me last night at midnight. He (purely platonic friend) had called me earlier and I told him about this video on YouTube called

"Jesco White, the dancing outlaw." I stayed up much later than usual, in the office in the barn, watching videos. It was midnight when I went in and when I got in, I sent him one of the Jesco White videos from my phone. It just so happened at the same time, he was sending me one. So he called and we were on the phone until 1:30 a.m. Then my phone died....thankfully...but I didn't go to sleep for probably a couple more hours. Very, very unusual for me, because usually I can't stay awake. I overslept a little, but had to jump up to feed the horses. Emery and Rain eat four times a day and I have to have the time to spread out their feedings. So this morning, I feel like a crumpled up old spider that someone smacked with a folded up newspaper.

Usually, if I am rested, I get up and in a few minutes of walking, my joints loosen up and I feel okay. I take a handful of vitamins and supplements which make me feel good. I normally feel pretty good for my age. I have lost about 40 lb. over the years, and in some aspects, I look better than I did at 60, but I have a lot of lines on my face. I don't worry about that though. I try to look ahead. I know I need to build a house....the old house trailer I live in, needs too much to fix it up. We built a new barn before Jody passed....just for the tractor and his tools. I have other places to store them, so my plan is to convert it into a little house. It is 24 x 30, which is plenty big enough for me, plus it has a lean to that is at least 12' wide that I can convert also. So I need to stay focused on that.

Getting past the grief of losing my husband of 55 years has been hard and I don't expect to get completely over it, but I am trying to move ahead. My mother lived to be 94 and was in excellent health, until she fell and hit her head and got blood clots on her brain. I need to always keep in mind that it is very easy to get hurt at my age, and I no longer run, but I can walk fast. I can't dwell on how old I am....even though it is seldom far from my mind. I have to keep on keeping on.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    7 days ago

Yes, I agree. In addition to health and physical issues making one feel older, grief can age one's heart too. I'm so sorry for all who are suffering the loss of those dear to them. Sending comfort your way.

• Jasdip
    7 days ago

Lily, have you seen the movie A Walk in the Woods? Nick Nolte and Robert Redford decide to hike the Appalachian Trail in their 80's. I think it's on Prime. It was pretty good.

I don't feel old, and often get told that I don't look my age. But I have gained weight which I'm not happy with at all. I ran into a woman who worked in Admittance in the cancer clinic on Friday and we had a great chat. She told me I look great, haha. I told her that I have Covid weight and she said who cares, you look good and you're healthy.

I was talking to a dr on a phone consult and he was running through the list of meds that I take. None. He said Nothing at all? And I said no. No high bp, my cholesterol is good according to my last blood work. He said I'm quite healthy.

I just got back from my 1.5 hour walk through the trail and around the neighbourhoods. It's coolish out but humid, and I was sweaty. I feel good now that I've showered so now I'll get down to work preparing Thanksgiving dinner.

• anneliese32
    7 days ago

Depends on time of day. When I get up I grunt and groan but after a couple of runs up and down the stairs, breakfast and a couple of miles walking I don't feel my age. My age never bothered me. Framed and on the wall next to my desk is a birthday card from my brother when I turned 40 "A dinosaur don't get that old", shy a couple of month 50 years later, it still makes me laugh.

• Rusty
    7 days ago

This was on Facebook this morning just had to share here, it's pretty much how I feel (most of the time).

I know it is very hard to do at times, circumstances can be devastating. But thinking positive can be a big help!

Rusty

• Lucille
    7 days ago

Like feeling happy or sad, my body/and/or mind feeling old to me depends on circumstance. A few months back I was very ill and diagnosed with diabetes and my body did feel old (my mind was sort of fuzzy at the time and probably incapable of feeling anything). This morning my glucose is under control, and I went for a nice ride on my trike, and didn't even think about age.

• Lukki Irish
    7 days ago

I don’t feel old as often or as much as I feel emotionally tired.

• marilyn_c
    7 days ago

When I was about 30 yrs old, one of my mother's friends, who was probably in her 70's at the time, told me she still felt like a little girl. I didn't say anything, but I thought that was the craziest thing I had ever heard. I can relate to it a lot more now. My love for my horses makes me feel like I am about 12 years old....still that horse crazy kid I used to be. I just don't ride them because if I got bucked off, I would probably end up in a nursing home....so I have to be a whole lot more careful. My daddy said, "A durn (sic) horse will probably kill you some day." I stay cognizant of that too.

• kathy
    6 days ago

I feel emotionally and physically old since the illness and loss of my Dear Husband, and I am only 62.

• chisue
    6 days ago
    last modified: 6 days ago

Medically, age groups focus on the body: 60 - 69 is Elderly. 70 - 84 is Old. 85 - 94 is Old-Old. 95+ is Oldest-Old.

How we 'feel' at any age is partly due to how our individual bodies have deteriorated from their prime of health (about age 20). Disease and pain are debilitating at any age, but the older our bodies, the more likely it is we will suffer them. The longer our bodies withstand those effects, the less 'old' we feel.

I'm now medically 'Old'. I have a fatal blood cancer and am kept alive with infusions of various drugs. However, that's more 'background' than the spinal stenosis that compresses nerves in my back and neck. That pain is somewhat managed by a narcotic and numbing patches, and some of how *Old* I *Feel* depends on the severity of the pain at a given time and how much it fatigues me.

Other than that, I guess I feel 'mature' or 'experienced' -- although only within my admittedly 'sheltered' sphere of life. I've lived. I'm living.

I AM old. You got a problem wit dat? <snark>

• HU-696730168
    6 days ago
    last modified: 6 days ago

At 99 I'm in the "oldest old" group. I have finally begun to feel my age. So be it'

Seniorgal

• yeonassky
    6 days ago

Seniorgal everybody should take a page of your book and wait until at least 99 to feel remotely old!

So far no. Life isn't easy but life is mostly good nowadays for me.

30 years ago I would have said yes. When I was in the height of my illness I felt old and and helpless and hopeless. I often wished I could just end it. Glad I didn't! There was hope and help for me. It just took a while.. 30 years to be precise.

• jane__ny
    6 days ago

I think I feel old because of life. So many things happen throughout life which are stresses. I wrote above how old I feel after the loss of my husband of 50 yrs, not knowing how to navigate life without him. I realize a lot is grief and depression, but also a sense of direction. Like being lost at sea.

I physically do not feel old. I do not have major pain in any joints, I have gotten quite thin so I move like I was younger. I know my bones are thin so I am careful about falling.

I think, for me 'feeling old' has more to do with a psychological, mental state. When life has hit you with so many things, you just feel exhausted. Sounds depressing, and I think I am, but some of us have dealt with difficult times over and over and you just feel you've had it. Especially, when getting older means losing spouses, family, friends and others you loved throughout your life. The older you live, it doesn't stop.

Jane

• jemdandy
    4 days ago

I'll be 85 in a couple of months, but I have still have a full head of hair. Having hair fools people into thinking that I'm younger, however, I don't feel younger.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    4 days ago

Jane, I'm really sorry you're suffering so. May I suggest reading a book that really helped me and perhaps it will help you too: "A Short Course in Happiness After Loss" by Maria Sirois. I've also found meditation to be very helpful, especially podcast #26 on this page: https://www.meditationoasis.com/podcast It is a guided meditation that will support you in your grief.

It takes resilience and it takes time, but I believe you will find a new path... not the one you would wish for without him, but one that works for you in your new circumstance. Sending you thoughts of strength and comfort.

• jane__ny
    3 days ago

Annie, thank you so much for the links. Since its 1:30 AM I will look at those tomorrow. I saved the link for the meditation podcast and will look on Amazon tomorrow and will order it.

I've been so lost and depressed about everything (which is not me at all), I will try anything to get myself to heal.

Thank you so very much.

Jane