SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nancyfancy77

Big reveal (pics): Took all your advice...how did I do?!?

nancyfancy77
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

A while ago, I posted a thread asking if my newly painted walls were making things too blue in the living room. https://www.houzz.com/discussions/6161938/wanted-a-coastal-vibe-but-is-this-too-much-blue 

I took all the advice I received here (a million thanks!) and implemented most of them, budget allowing. How did I do? :-)

My questions are:

- is this now too much rattan?

- does the dining table top look good, or would you suggest a different stain? (I like white and blue together but need reassurance that it works.) I also have a white beaded boho chandelier coming soon. :)

- has my decor veered off the coastal look now with these traditional pillows and floor lamp?

Additionally, I would love advice on my den and entry way console area (last two pics). I decorated this space last year. Do you think it's good enough? What's missing?

Is there anything else you would change?

Thanks in advance!

@loobab @loobab @freedomplace1

Comments (80)

• hollywaterfall
    2 years ago

I love blue/white together and I love beachy coastal. From your pics I don't get beachy but more of an "Italian Coastal" so I think your description of Formal Coastal is accurate. I don't feel as if it's too much rattan. It's pretty. I'm not a decorator and feel you should just go for what you like.

nancyfancy77 thanked hollywaterfall
  • marialallen68
    2 years ago

I don't feel like you've moved too far from your coastal goal, just that you've given it a more euro vibe. If this is your comfort zone, I would zero in on european coastal style and keep within that feel.

nancyfancy77 thanked marialallen68
  • Related Discussions

quilt top pics and a big thanks to you all here

Q

Comments (11)
    Bobby~your quilt turned out great! I agree tying or tacking, using one of your decorative stitches on your new sewing machine, would be perfect. I second what Teresa said, this quilt would be too frustrating for you to try free motion to quilt it, simply because of the size. About the border, your teacher was "teaching" you the right way to attach the borders. The pressed marks she had you do are guides to match to corresponding marks you make on the quilt top dividing it into quarters. You then 'ease in the difference' (like the lady had you do) between the the quarters, spreading or stretching as necessary throughout, so you end up with flat borders. It is more work, but you will be happy with the results- the easy way isn't always the best way when sewing :)(said very nicely). Your teacher sounds good, and her job is to annoy you with the right way, so you will be happy with the results. All that said - many people do it the easy way~LOL. When you wash your quilt, make sure to use Color Catchers - it concerns me that the dripping water from an iron is making some of your fabrics bleed. The Color catchers will keep those loose dyes from redepositing on your fabrics. You should be very proud of your quilt. I wondered if you gave up- I am so glad you kept working on it.
    ...See More

Reveal! Only took a year...

Q

Comments (53)
    I will be putting a desk area in my kitchen for the same reason -- we need a place to drop off phones, keys, mail, etc. Don't we all need some sort of dumping ground? Our previous kitchen didn't have one, so we always had a messy little spot of counter with that stuff. Now we will have a dedicated place for charging, with a few drawers for items like paper clips, rubber bands, envelopes, stamps, and other detritus. It won't sit in the main part of the kitchen any more! Also, I love how you handles the ceilings -- we will be doing something similar to disguise a beam.
    ...See More

What did you do with all of your old stuff?

Q

Comments (27)
    We used Habitat for Humanity "Re-Store" for much of our "old stuff." They took kitchen sink, some kitchen cabinets, doors from cabinets, closets, etc., old knobs, light fixtures that came down, etc. I was so pleased with how much we were able to donate -- they came and picked it up after we stacked it in the driveway. Old frig. and freezer to local community center; micro, washer and dryer to one of the workers who was living marginally; stove went to salvage for parts -- someone willing to pick it apart and re-use what they could. We saved some of the cabinet doors re-used them in message center area. We also saved tongue and groove wainscoting to re-use, saved many of the cabinet knobs to re-use in mudroom. It was a joke among the crew "Be sure and ask her before you throw ANYTHING away".
    ...See More

My Big Fat Reveal - pics of everything

Q

Comments (35)
    So it's been over a week, and I've hardly done anything in the kitchen but pour a bowl of cereal - I've been working 12-hour graveyard shifts for the last 8 days (which hopefully excuses some of my typos in this thread). My college-aged sons were home for the weekend, and took the new oven on its maiden voyage (pizza), and made popcorn on the stove - something we missed a lot when we were sans kitchen. Yesterday DH made refrigerator pickles and pineapple upside-down cake, so he's having fun at least! I want to thank everyone here for the support and encouragement. I didn't find this site until I was finished with the layout, but I still had an awful lot to learn, and many decisions to make. I am so grateful to have had such a wonderful group of TKO friends to share the journey with me!
    ...See More
  • emspenc
    2 years ago

Nice job! Something about the couch bothers me. Maybe too formal or sterile? I would either add another set of pillows in different colors, a rectangular long pillow for the center with perhaps coral print or other beach/nautical print so that it does not bring in more formality or perhaps just add a casual throw draped on the couch. Enjoy your home!

nancyfancy77 thanked emspenc
  • PRO
    PRM Custom Builders
    2 years ago

What great spaces! The colors are fantastic and so inviting. Enjoy

nancyfancy77 thanked PRM Custom Builders
  • msjoan
    2 years ago

You did a great job!

nancyfancy77 thanked msjoan
  • nancyfancy77
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@emspenc I love the rectangle coral idea and was thinking of that too! Thx!

• PRO
    OTM Designs & Remodeling Inc.
    2 years ago

Looks great!

nancyfancy77 thanked OTM Designs & Remodeling Inc.
  • Margaret Bannerman
    2 years ago

Looking good! One easy step to make your LR a little more beachy would be to find a couple soft throws and drape them over the chair and sofa. I would change out the floral pillows to nubby neutral/blue textured pillows.

nancyfancy77 thanked Margaret Bannerman
  • Margie Kieper
    2 years ago

I think it looks very nice. I would pull the living room rug out so that only the front legs of the larger sofa rest on it (and probably only the front legs of the side table) so that it can slide under the front feet of the loveseat across from the sofa. The way it is placed is lopsided and makes the room seem divided into two areas - one on the rug and then the loveseat that is off the rug. Secondly, I would try to find a long durable runner that is wide and long enough to go on the kitchen floor. Also that view at the end of the kitchen looks so nice, hope that you have a nice seating area there.

nancyfancy77 thanked Margie Kieper
  • nancyfancy77
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Margie Kieper I’m dying to decorate my kitchen and will post pics soon to hopefully get ideas. I do have seating but i dont think i am maximizing the space and view. Thank you for the runner idea!

• User
    2 years ago

Lovely place. I would consider covering your dining chair seats (most of the time they come off the chair easily) with a blue and white stripe, ticking or other. I think that would help pull the blue edge of the table into focus.

nancyfancy77 thanked User
  • HU-999125736
    2 years ago

Lovely! Very serene and inviting.

nancyfancy77 thanked HU-999125736
  • dippitydoppitydoo
    2 years ago

It’s beautiful- almost a little envious! I love how you have a kind of secondary style you have seemlessly put together- coastal with a traditional chinoserie kind of thing. I dont think its too much blue, although i am partial to that color! I love the hints of orange/pink accents… it is inspiring!! I especially love your pillows and tabletop decor. The furniture, rug, etc is beautiful as well. Idk about the solid navy color on the underside of the table. I think it does look lovely in of itself and kind of like it, but I feel like it could use a white wash over it to soften the look or maybe incorporate some more navy or.. darkness? Idk im only sayibg this b/c im looking for something wrong! I think what you have done is really lovely and cohesive yet interesting. I would love to hav my place just as nice.

nancyfancy77 thanked dippitydoppitydoo
  • nester44
    2 years ago

Regarding the suggestion that you replace the glass on the picture above the couch with non-glare glass -- don't! The non-glare glass will cause the picture to look fuzzy and out of focus because the glass is separated from the surface of the picture by the thickness of the mat. The non-glare glass is essentially "frosted" and this is what causes the picture underneath to look out of focus. And you'll still get some glare. I'd stay with the plain glass or, if you want something lighter in weight and safer, replace the plain glass with a piece of 3/32" or 1/8" sheet acrylic (Plexiglas).

nancyfancy77 thanked nester44
  • shoozyq
    2 years ago

Looks beautiful!

nancyfancy77 thanked shoozyq
  • Amanda Smith
    2 years ago

Have you considered rearranging the living room seating? The huge picture window overlooking the parking lot is not very attractive…why not put the sofa in the window with plants and a large tree to try to obscure the view a little bit?

nancyfancy77 thanked Amanda Smith
  • katrina_ellen
    2 years ago

Agree the rug under table and chairs is not needed and agree with others about pulling rug out in living room and pulling floor lamp to other side of sofa. Other than that I think its all preferences. It looks very nice so do what you like is my advice, you have a lot of suggestions to consider.

nancyfancy77 thanked katrina_ellen
  • smh225
    2 years ago

Beautiful! Beautiful 🤩

nancyfancy77 thanked smh225
  • Lizzie Borden
    2 years ago

Lovely.

nancyfancy77 thanked Lizzie Borden
  • dippitydoppitydoo
    2 years ago

I didnt notice the view, i cant really tell what it is- but if is building tops, you can consider some plants to hid the view a little, or i suppose you can close the curtains as needed, but whatever. lol if you’re ok with it- than thats what matters. plus, more natural light! who doesnt like that? and again, so beautiful.

nancyfancy77 thanked dippitydoppitydoo
  • loobab
    2 years ago

Hi - What a difference, and it looks great!

I see that your main color is blue, your secondary color is green and your third color is red.

Me likey!

If you don't mind, I still have some suggestions.

The cobalt blue on the edge of the dining room table is marvelous, just marvelous.

Your space would be improved by continuing that color into the living room area.

I would paint something else that color, I haven't decided what.

But please buy some more of that paint before the manufacturer changes the color composition and you can't purchase it any more.

They do things like that even if they keep the same name of the paint color, those sneaky fellas!

The table runner seems unnecessary now, you are not protecting a wood finish.

I would only use a table runner when you are serving a meal and not using a table cloth and you put the dishes you are serving and your centerpiece on the table runner.

What would look nice on the table would be a live plant or cut flowers or any type of greenery. I don't understand empty vases on a table.

The prints in the dining area and the living room area seem rather generic and uninteresting to me.

Please keep your eyes peeled for something else.

However, save the frames of the things you already have. What you find may not have frames or glass.

As for non-glare, that's up to you.

If you are worrying about fading what you want is something that blocks UV light which may be different than non-glare and it doesn't have to be glass. It also makes a difference if you live in an area that is prone to earthquakes or hurricanes etc where there is a chance the piece can fall and the glass can shatter and hurt you or damage the art.

If it is an inexpensive print, (and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that,) then it is just your safety (and that of your guests) that is the issue.

Back to art, please peruse estate sales, garage sales, second-hand stores, Goodwill, consignment stores, if you find out about neighbors that are moving or going into assisted living, etc.

It is simply astounding the things people give away and/or undervalue.

While you are looking for art, also please look for another light fixture for over your dining room table, one that is hanging.

Back to your place.

Of course, everyone's aesthetic are different, however, I find the rugs to be too light in color and the combination of their light color and pattern make them seem bedroom-ish.

My preference would be to remove both of them.

The living room would be enhanced with an Oriental rug, My preference is a quality hand-knotted Persian although a hand-woven Oriental such as a tribal or Caucasus would work as well. A Persian would give you the colors of blue, green, and red, not monopolize the room, and ground it, so it is not so ethereal with all the white and light blue you have there.

The above are Tabriz rugs. Nain rugs are also in the blue palette, but they are often a combination of wool and silk, and I would not advise a silk carpet for an American household.

I love something like this for your room, it has the blue you like, as well some tans that echo your furniture and the "sand" and natural element of wood that go with a coastal decor.

This is good too-

I would get more pillows for your sofas, for a total of five pillows for each, 2 on each end plus one lumbar, and an additional large square pillow for the chair. I say this as an old fart with a bad back (that is also short) that needs 2 pillows behind me on a chair or a sofa. Since you already have a stripe and a large print, how about a knit or weave or tweed or a velvet that has blues, maybe some green, maybe a drop of red and the back can be made of cobalt blue velvet. Or one side blue ,the other green. Or of the square, divide it in half triangularly and do one triangle cobalt blue like the table and the other triangle deep green and do the welting and back cobalt blue and find some tassels or trim on sale somewhere that has blue, green and red and add that. Tassels can be added to corners of pillows, trim can be added to the welting. But wait on that until you get new art and the new rug.

Look at what I found on the internet, isn't this fun?? It's called Richloom Solarium Outdoor Islip Teal

This is velvet and is nice too-

The plant stand is not great, it makes that area look a bit cluttered.

You could move that plant to the dining room table, which brings the red from the living room to the dining room, so there is continuity. When you eat, just move the plant.

The starburst mirror is absolutely gorgeous! However, it seems to be interfering with the light switches in its current location. If hanging it higher would be too high, you can move it, perhaps to the dining area so it faces that window and you will get a reflection of the far distance which is trees. Never mind the parking lot. If you had an ocean view, that apartment would be quadruple the price!

Apropos of the windows, your curtains are too short. I don't like the whole puddling thing, that is ridiculous and a leftover from when rooms didn't have heating and the long curtains were meant to prevent drafts. Your curtains are several inches above the floor and look like clam-diggers. Here's what you can do- purchase a trim and sew it to the sides and bottom of the curtains. It can have a pattern that is printed or embroidered on, and it can be the same color as your curtains or a different color such as blue. I do like the light airy feel of your curtains, and a colored trim would weigh them down, so I vote for a monotone look.

In your previous thread I think I was confused and thought the demilune table was right at the entrance. Now that I see that it is not, it seems that it does not serve a purpose, so I would remove it. So now that the demilune and the starburst mirror are removed, what to do with that wall? Do you need more storage? Do you need a bar area? Do you need a place to display collectibles?

For example, you could purchase or make some sort of shallow piece to serve as a bar piece or a server and you can store liquor and stemware or serving pieces in there and put serving pieces on the top, etc.

Or if that is not a need, but you have a great collection of say, sea shells or butterflies, etc, above the light switches you can put up some glass shelves and display those things.

Or you use those small 4 prints you have in that spot. Although for more interest I would add one more thing to that grouping of 4, 5 things are more interesting than 4. If you can find for example a round thing to hang in the middle (such as a decorative plate or plaque) that will really punch up the volume. Or if there isn't enough width on that little wall, hang the round object over the top of the four little prints.

In the living room besides changing out the prosaic print, you could look for sconces to hang on either side of the print to give you more light. You don't have to deal with an electrician for them if you get the kind that are wired that you just plug in. You can purchase cord covers that are white and you can paint them the color of your wall.

You can use those for either wall, but not both, your living room is too small for that.

Another option if you don't get sconces is to get some wall brackets (they can look rather architectural like the tops of columns) and display things on them such as the blue and white ginger jar or a decorative plate or plaque or other objet d'art or collectible.

It would look too formal if the brackets were hung on either side of the painting. I prefer the painting to the left and the brackets on the right, one higher than the other and one to the right of the other.

Yes, I have a bunch of things hanging at my doorway too. But can you make it look more fun? I have this,

which I think also comes in wood and maybe other options, too.

I think there are too many things on the side table, I would remove the little plant, it doesn't look so marvelous anyway. I do love live plants but only really healthy ones should be in public places. Your "plant hospital" can be elsewhere if you have the space for it.

If you want another live plant and you want to continue the red accent, why not think about getting a coleus plant, they are an easy indoor plant, and they come all sort of shades of green and red, purple, orange, and differing leaf shapes and don't need direct sun and grow very well indoors. Some are even branching and cascading and are so easy to propagate. Just snip and root in water!

I wouldn't worry about the ceiling moldings too much. For what it would cost you to have someone come in and do a really good job to match it up and paint etc, you could do a lot with the rest of the place that would make much more of a difference in how you live and feel every day. I think most people wouldn't even notice it, and those that do would think that the previous tenant hired bad workmen and it isn't your fault.

nancyfancy77 thanked loobab
  • loobab
    2 years ago

I just had a though for art for you that is in the blue family and is nice and coastal- an Audobon print.

Why don't you peruse through them and see what you like?

You can purchase any one you like in the size you want and have it framed to your liking or use the gold frame that you already have.

I like the Louisiana Heron, that has a lot of blue in it.

"Courtesy of the John James Audubon Center at Mill Grove, Montgomery County Audubon Collection, and Zebra Publishing"

You can download files from Audobon.org and have them printed up yourself.

The Indigo Bird is not a coastal type print, but the bird is blue and the print has a little red in it.

The Townsend's Warbler and the Columbia Jay both have wonderful blue birds.

This one, American Flamingo, although not blue is just marvelous and would perk it up perfectly and go so well with your red accents of plants.

"Courtesy of the John James Audubon Center at Mill Grove, Montgomery County Audubon Collection, and Zebra Publishing"

Depending on the proportion of these, you can have them made quite large and they will make quite the statement.

You can also use vintage botanical illustrations.

Many museums will allow you to download things for personal use for free, the government will allow you to download things for personal use for free as well such as copies of old architectural plans and drawings for old patents. here might be a drawing for a patent for an invention that has special meaning for you such as a musical instrument, or a mechanical device you or a relative worked with, or a mechanical ice cream scoop.

It is amazing the things you can find noodling around the internet!

Then, once you download the file you go to a fine print shop and decide what you want to do with it.

• nancyfancy77
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@loobab Oh wow! It’s like we share a brain! Thank you soooo much for your thoughtful and thorough recommendations and ideas. I love every single one and am really looking forward to taking these on as a project!!!

• Lizzie Borden
    2 years ago

Loobab such beautiful pictures you've recommended to nancyfancy77. I didn't know we were able to download free illustrations from Audubon. I would like to add that my library does allow downloading digital prints. Architectural, botanicals and more. I use nypl.org and search digital prints.

• PRO
    FrameMyMirror
    2 years ago

Looks great!! We really love how all of the pieces tie together.

nancyfancy77 thanked FrameMyMirror
  • heatherabramski
    2 years ago

Can you post a pic of your living room from the angle of the door next to the dining room? Would like to see how wide the wall is that the loveseat is on. Also a photo of your entrance. When you walk in what is on the left side? Is is a solid wall? Is a powder room there?

• loobab
    2 years ago

I just had a thought, you could paint your TV stand that cobalt blue, after all, no sense in pretending it's not there.

And about the TV, is there any reason it is tucked in that corner and not straight in front of the window since you don't have a vent there? Having it right straight in front of the window would allow you to get a larger screen (which will still be not deep, the screens are so shallow nowadays and a TV stand which can still be narrow but wide enough to fit the wider TV. Even if you don't host football parties, you can have Downton Abbey or other Masterpiece Theater parties and a nice big screen helps with that. Large screens are not that expensive anymore, and as large as your windows are, the TV won't obstruct your view, and the best part of your view is the upper part anyway.

For some great inspiration, check out Phoebe Howard online.

Mark Sikes also does a lot of blue and white, although it's sometimes a bit too much for me, although that may be what the client prefers in each case.

Phoebe Howard shows more restraint, which I prefer.

• nancyfancy77
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@heatherabramski Yes, I will!

@loobab I just don't want to TV to be the focal point of the room. I want my living area to promote conversation and socializing. I just bought something from Wayfair for the TV to sit on. I'll post pics here when it comes.

• loobab
    2 years ago

Ok, that makes sense.

I love how some people have fancy set-ups where they lower their screens from the ceiling, but that's way too tech-y for me to figure out.

I have also seen where people have the TV on a riser so it lifts up from inside a stand.

That is rather interesting, and I have seen that in magazines for bedrooms at the foot of the bed.

On TV shows I have seen televisions disguised as mirrors with very nice frames and you wouldn't know it was a TV until you turned on the TV with the remote. I am not sure where you hide the cable box the sound bar, etc in that case.

How interesting it has all become!

• nancyfancy77
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@heatherabramski and @loobab here are some photos of the wall with the TV. I am open to your thoughts, impressions, ideas and criticism :) I do want to make it the best that it can be. Please pardon the mess on the other side of the room. FYI - i just bought this TV stand from Wayfair. It's particleboard and it comes with an electric fireplace. My vision was to paint it white and add shutter or cane-style doors to it, if a carpenter will do it for me. Also, please note that the art in the frames will be changing. My room isn't photo ready yet but i did want feedback on the TV stand and how it looks in the corner. Should I keep it? It was about $350 so not cheap.

• cda1028
    2 years ago

It’s awkward with the loveseat crowding into the stand on one side and extending into the door area on the other. Plus anyone sitting on the loveseat would have a hard time twisting around to see what’s playing on the tv.

• KW PNW Z8
    2 years ago

I agree with @cda1028. The TV & stand in corner is too crowded with loveseat next to it. I think to make TV in corner work, loveseat must swap places with the chair that’s facing the window. Then TV stand will have enough room to slide completely into corner as it should, door on that wall won’t be blocked & loveseat & sofa in L shape make a nice conversation arrangement.

• nancyfancy77
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Hmm... What if switching the loveseat and chair isn't an option? My space is too small to accommodate the loveseat in that spot (I've tried). Previously I had the TV on the matching rattan coffee table. Is that better? At least it looks like a coffee table in that corner. Pardon the mess again.

• loobab
    2 years ago

I don't understand how that is a fireplace. If that makes flames, that would scare the heck out of me.

If it only makes the picture of flames, like what you play on Christmas with Johnny Mathis singing in the background, well, I don't think that is worth $350.

The thing that bothers me about this is all the visible cords. I wish there was a door so you wouldn't see all of that. And you don't want to drape a cloth grandma style, either.

I would find someone to just build me a wooden box the dimensions I wanted and paint it whatever color. If you can find a smaller lumberyard or hardware store, you can find men that can do a reasonable job with this. Or a man that teaches the shop class in the local high school. Or drive around a middle class suburb and look for a man building something out of his garage who seems to have a lot of tools in there.

But time is money too, I suppose.

The ideal would be a box that would have closed storage for what you don't want seen and that would camougflage the hanging cords, and a vented area so the remotes could work with the units that need that.

• chinacatpeekin
    2 years ago

Sorry, but if that TV stand cost $350, and you’re not completely delighted with it as is (I’d return it, since you’re asking). If I got it for free on the curb (and I have a few pieces of furniture I got that way!) then it makes some sense to try painting it, etc…but I would not pay a fraction of $350 for that.
    Maybe you can find a vintage/ antique wooden (pine?) dresser or small cabinet that could hold your TV.

• Mino Cat
    2 years ago

@loobab its this

• cda1028
    2 years ago

That tv stand is all out of proportion. It’s looks too heavy and ready to fall over. Take it back. You can do better. Look for an old coffee table with room for storage baskets underneath. Much cheaper with a better vibe.

• cda1028
    2 years ago

Try a window film on the lower windows. The film is inexpensive and easy to apply. The windows will still be operable and the film will allow light in but give you the functionality of a low wall. You can put the tv on that wall. The old cinderblock and plank bookshelf design from the 1970’s might even be useful here. It’s a nice room and you can be comfortable and hospitable in it.

• KW PNW Z8
    2 years ago

@nancyfancy77 How about love seat on window wall - really looks like there is room if it’s sort of centered on the wall, you should still be able to open window easily. TV on a proper narrow stand or console on wall opposite couch - where loveseat is now. The chair that’s facing windows could be moved towards TV & angled towards sofa. Don’t know what either door is on each side of that space but moving chair somewhere along that end of area rug shouldn’t block access to either door.. My thought is that the window wall needs to be treated as a regular wall for furniture placement. Since that wall is full windows, doing this won’t affect the feeling of light & openness the window wall provides.

ETA- reading @cda1028 idea of TV on window wall is what made me think of loveseat there instead. She is essentially suggesting same thing - using the window wall for furnishings

nancyfancy77 thanked KW PNW Z8
  • nancyfancy77
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Hmm that's an interesting thought. I will try it and see how it looks and feels, though I kind of like having the picture window as the focal point of the room. Thanks @KW PNW Z8.

• cda1028
    2 years ago

You’ll still get most of the view plus the parking lot part is harder to see. Unless you have sun streaming through the window in the winter sitting next to glass is cold. I know because we have a lovely southern facing breakfast nook which captures most of the sun in the winter and we end up spending 75% of our day there despite having two walls of windows with a lovely view of trees and garden in the great room at the other side of the house.

• cda1028
    2 years ago

Will the glare from the window wall make the tv screen hard to see if it’s on the opposite wall?

• nancyfancy77
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I actually tried it and don't like it. The best furniture arrangement for my condo is the way it is now. I just need to find a better stand for the 32" TV. Wayfair accepted my return - yay!

• freedomplace1
    2 years ago

If you are ok with the tv in the corner there, it is fine. If you don’t want the tv showing all the time, you could use a tv lift cabinet. They can be pricey; but since you are open to custom modifications, you could get an inexpensive cabinet/stand and have it customized with a lift mechanism. This way, when you are entertaining and don’t want the tv, you could just put a floral arrangement or even a lamp on that cabinet adjacent to love seat. And then if tv becomes a part of the equation, you can just lift it up.

This mechanism is motorized:

https://www.wayfair.com/furniture/pdp/progressive-automations-hidden-pop-up-tv-lift-388-inch-black-motorized-articulatingextending-arm-desktop-mount-33-62-screens-holds-up-to-135-lbs-bogr1005.html

nancyfancy77 thanked freedomplace1
  • nancyfancy77
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@freedomplace1 That's wild!!! I've never seen such a thing in a house before. Very interesting!

• freedomplace1
    2 years ago

It’s a nice option, across the board. :)

Here is a Houzz link with pics, etc.: https://www.houzz.com.au/photos/tv-lift-cabinet-phbr0lbl-bl~l_161513

Below, a hotel room view:

• cda1028
    2 years ago

It has always been hard to have a tv in a room that is meant to be for socializing. Could you put a narrow console table behind the loveseat that would allow a pop-up tv mechanism? It looks like there’s a lot of floor space between the loveseat and the rest of the conversation area.

• KW PNW Z8
    2 years ago

@nancyfancy77, both @cda1028 & @freedomplace1 have offered good solutions - IMO. Wanted to say though about your reply of wanting picture window to be focal point of room - It will always be the focal point of that room no matter what you put in front of it, simply by virtue of being wall to wall & floor to ceiling! No matter where you sit or stand, when you look at that wall the eye will be drawn to the openness & light!

nancyfancy77 thanked KW PNW Z8
  • cda1028
    2 years ago

Very true! Plus that room has a function beyond supplying an impressive view. It’s your home. You get to live in it and people will enjoy being invited into it to share it with you.

nancyfancy77 thanked cda1028
  • nancyfancy77
    Original Author
    2 years ago

thanks everyone for your wonderful feedback!