SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vacuumfreak

quilt top pics and a big thanks to you all here

vacuumfreak
14 years ago

OK, my quilt top that I made in my first quilting class is *almost* done. I know I asked for advice and then disappeared on you... sorry about that! Work has been crazy and I've been too tired to spend much time at the computer or sewing machine. I just have to put the border around all the sides of the quilt, and the top will be done. It's the one on the left side (only have one side completed as of yet). I've been back to class twice since the 3 week class ended as did ALL the other students in my class. Two of them finished their quilts, and it was really great to see their finished projects and compare them to mine. The quilt shop finally got a new iron... YAY! No more of that silly Proctor Silex thing leaking and spitting all over my quilt and making the colors run and leaving water stains. It looked like a Walgreens house brand iron, and the steam blast from it is 10 time more powerful than my 80 dollar Rowenta... the silly thing couldn't have been more than 20 dollars... hmph! The teacher annoyed me about the border... she wanted us to fold the quilt and border in half and press, then in half and press again. Then match up the pressed notches before sewing the border on. It would have been so much simpler to just sew the border on and cut off the excess material... I did it her way on the stop border, but my way on the outside border. Some of the older ladies that come in to sew and gossip said that the way the teacher was telling us to do it was just too much work and not necessary... I agree. There was a lady visiting from Canada and she was there sewing.... she really helped me out with my stop border. It was little bit too short (the teacher told us to measure the quilt in 3 places and then take the average and that was the measurement to use for the border... I did, and it was too short on one side)... the lady help me pin it by matching the edges up and said that my machine would force the border to stretch and I wouldn't have to buy more fabric and start all over. I did, and it worked out fine. Quilters are very sweet and helpful. Thank you to everyone here... I couldn't have done it without you. The tips I gleaned from you were invaluable during this project.

Now I have to decide how I want to quilt it... walking foot, free motion, or tie with yarn... any suggestions?

I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out... some of the colors I can't believe I choose looking at them now, but it was a first quilt. I also didn't do a very good job spacing the colors, some of the same colors are touching each other and are too concentrated, but again, first quilt.

Here are pics of what I've done so far. My cat Jasper apparently loves quits (and cameras) and tried to steal the show when I was taking pictures. I took pictures of one of my vacuums for the vacuum collectors web site and he was right there in the action too, the big ham! A lady from the cooking forum (I've been a member there for years, awesome people over there) sent me some quilting magazines from 2000/1 that she found in a thrift shop and I've really enjoyed them.

I also bought some material that I just couldn't resist to make either a pillow or a pin cushion (or both, I did get 3 fat quarters) out of. The teacher/shop owner said if I got any more, I could make a whole new quilt out of it LOL She would have been happy to sell me more.... she said she drives an old car because she bought the long arm quilting machine for the shop that was 35,000 dollars... that was her new Lexus.

So, on to the fabric pictures:

The first one has cats and sewing machines... I can't think of a better combination unless there was some with vacuum cleaners on it (if any of you EVER see fabric with vacuums on it, PLEASE let me know, I'll gladly buy a ton of it!). The next has notions. And the last (my favorite) has lots of vintage sewing machines on it. I just couldn't resist! The also had the same one with a yellow background, but I put back at the last minute, I didn't want to go too crazy!

Thanks again everyone!

Comments (11)