SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19755260

fertilizing question

User
2 years ago

I know the usual advice is to not fertilize in the fall in cold-climate places, like zone 6 New Jersey, where I live. My understanding is that the reason for this is that you don't want to stimulate new growth that will just be killed by winter winds/cold. But I was wondering about this. I use organic granular fertilizer (the "tone" ones, plus alfalfa meal/pellets). Every spring, I apply it to my roses - basically, I just scatter it around the base of each rose. Now, because it is on the surface, it must take a while to work down (thanks to rain, worms, etc.) to the roots - so it is probably a few months before it hits them. So, if I were to apply it in the late fall, say Nov. or even early Dec., would it actually reach the roots before spring? I'm thinking April? This would seem to be actually MORE useful to the roses, since early spring is when they are getting started up; whereas a spring application wouldn't likely reach them til maybe July, when they are taking a rest anyway in the heat. And honestly, it would be a real break for me, since spring is always so insanely busy what with pruning, weeding, etc. whereas November (and/or early December) is a pretty quiet time in the garden.

Any thoughts much appreciated!

Comments (8)