SHOP BY DEPARTMENT
jasdip1

Thursday Edition of the Brain Game----SOLUTION

Jasdip
24 days ago
last modified: 23 days ago

If I think it's a long time till Sunday, from posting the quiz on Tuesday, you must be thinking that as well. So here's an extra one for you.

Comments (59)

• sprtphntc7a
    24 days ago

just got C2 :)

• blfenton
    24 days ago
    last modified: 24 days ago

I'm missing B3, C3 and D3. But they will come to me, I just know they will.

I just got B3 - duh.

• Related Discussions

Sunday Brain Game!----SOLUTION!!

Q

Comments (29)
    I got #1 and #6 right, right off the bat! On #6, the different 'fonts' represent the different 'strokes'. #2 was easy once I realized I was misreading the word, don't know why I read it as 'appaloosa' at first. :^0 Unless it was because I had been watching a horse video. I had #4 right until Jasdip's comment about grammar, was trying to come up with something else and couldn't. You explained it well, FOAS. Tried to make #5 into 'infinite', and couldn't, and never would have stretched rabbits into hairs, (hares). Can't help but wonder about the people that come up with these, but they sure are fun! Rusty
    ...See More

It's that day of the week! Today's Brain Game---SOLUTION!!!!

Q

Comments (25)
    Here you go! For #1, if you said Double Bed, as I did, you're still a winner! It can be either one, as far as I'm concerned 1. Bunk Beds 2. Tricycle 3. Stay overnight 4. One on One 5. I overslept 6. A close race
    ...See More

Wednesday's Brain Game----SOLUTION!

Q

Comments (40)
    I eventually did get 8 (that was a good one!), but the one I got wrong was 9. When I saw the answer, I thought, 3 blind mice, how can that be?!? Ten minutes later, while in another room it hit me.....no "i's" = blind!......aaaaahhh....! Cute.
    ...See More

Wednesday's Brain Game---SOLUTION!

Q

Comments (50)
    It took me plenty long enough and lots of hints to get #2, but eventually I did. Had 'Rolling in dough' for #3, close enough? Considered 'He's full of himself' for #4, but changed it to the correct answer before the 'reveal'. And while a name jumped out at me for #6, I knew it couldn't be right, especially since the right answer is so simple and obvious! At least I did realize that fairly soon in the game. Rusty
    ...See More
  • OutsidePlaying
    24 days ago

What is that thing drawn in B2? I want to make it something that fits, but can’t seem to figure out what it is.

I’m obviously working on B2, plus C3 and D3.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    24 days ago

It's the head of an animal as seen from above.

I'm stuck on C3 & D3 too.

• Jasdip
    Original Author
    24 days ago

FOAS is MIA on this thread. He needs to come give his input.

As is Roxsol!!!

• Rusty
    24 days ago

Outsideplaying, I'm trying to figure out the same thing. Carolb, your imagination and/or eyesight must be a lot better than mine, I don't see that at all. But I have come up with 2 possible answers for B2. I'm still hung on D1 and D2, though.

Rusty

• roxsol
    24 days ago

Oh, Jasdip, I’m right here🙂

I’m not confident with D3 and have a few guesses, same with A1.

C3 I have an answer that I like so much I’m sticking with it even if it’s not right. 😀

• roxsol
    24 days ago

Okay, I’ve reviewed my guesses. I’m feeling pretty confident with all of them.

• lettersatoz
    23 days ago

Alright, I've come back a couple of times now but still can't get C2 or C3! I'd like my answer for C2 much better if the second word didn't have a space in it.....

Hints, anyone?

• blfenton
    23 days ago

I agree with you about C2. I have an answer but doubt that it's correct or I may have to flush it out a little bit more.

• Rusty
    23 days ago

I think that space in C2 is necessary, think of another word for it. Also which word has the space. And C3 is spelled wrong for a cuss word, so what else could it be? Does size make a difference?

Still not sure of D1 and D3 (D2 in my post last night was a type, I was tired!). Have guesses for them, but not confident at all with them.

Rusty

• lettersatoz
    23 days ago

For D1, say the word, and then say the highlighted thing you see.

My answer for D3 (which I'm assuming is correct, but not 100%) takes into consideration that the spelling is altered. Now think of a phrase that might incorporate the word shown.

• roxsol
    23 days ago

C3, I think has something to do with work during the Great Depression in the USA

eta and a name change.

• roxsol
    23 days ago

lettersatoz, my initial thought for C3 was what I say when I cut my own hair😁

eta I’m pretty sure that’s not it though.

• lettersatoz
    23 days ago

haha....I know what I say, but it IS the cuss word! Still not getting it.

• roxsol
    23 days ago

lettersatoz, compare the two words and think of an adjective that describes one of them.

• roxsol
    23 days ago

lettersatoz, Okay, I just read FOAS’s post about Captain Kirk. Think about how he went into space. It was like no other man.

• bpath
    23 days ago

C3. Really? Well, that sucks. and that’s a hint.

• Jasdip
    Original Author
    23 days ago

Here you go!

Feeling down and out; feeling out of it, or feeling left out

Feeling down in the dumps

Operating under false pretenses

Kicked upstairs

Mousetrap

A sign of the times

Tea for two and two for tea

Split second timing

Boulder dam

Helen Reddy

Drawn to scale

A change of scenery

• roxsol
    23 days ago

Yay! I got them all.

My initial guess for C1 regarding cutting my own hair was ”Too damn uneven”

Lol, I knew that wasn’t right.

Thanks, Jasdip 🙂

• bpath
    23 days ago

I can’t believe I didn’t get ”split second timing”! and I never would have gotten ”change of scenery”.

Thanks, jasdip!

• roxsol
    23 days ago

bpath, I thought D3 was pretty lame. It could have been slightly better if one of the letters c looked like a cent sign.

• Rusty
    23 days ago

Thanks to letters, I did get D1, but I had no idea who that is, so I Googled the name. I also had D3 right, but I wasn't very sure about it. And B2 is mousetrap? Now I understand Carolb's clue last night. I had 'caught in a trap' for my first guess for that one, and 'trapped' as a second guess. Oh well, it's a fun, and sometimes frustrating, game. Waiting for Sunday. . . . . .

Rusty

• blfenton
    23 days ago

I didn't get D3 and it took me a while to get C2 but finally did.

Thanks Jasdip!

• OutsidePlaying
    23 days ago

I never did get Boulder Dam or Change of Scenery. Oh well, on to the next one.

• foodonastump
    22 days ago

I managed to scroll down without seeing the answers. Didn’t see if any hints were shared. Still working for a few more minutes! No answers for the timing or dam. Varying degrees of confidence on the rest.

• lettersatoz
    22 days ago

Cannot believe I didn’t get split second timing - duh!! That was clever.

And Boulder Dam….well, I just googled it, didn’t realize that was the previous name of Hoover Dam so I wouldn’t have gotten that, despite roxsol’s great Star Trek hint (I did get ’boldly’, just didn’t know how it connected).

Thanks, Jasdip!

• foodonastump
    22 days ago

Came back and tried again but decided I’d never get to sleep if I didn’t give up!

I had ‘multiplication sign’ which I think is better than the correct answer.

Never got the timing or dam ones, and I’m annoyed I missed the former.

I had two season scenery though I wasn’t sure exactly what that would be.

Sunday is busy but I’ll try to drop in. Thanks Jas!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    22 days ago

I don't get "a change of scenery".... adding a second c becomes change?

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    22 days ago
    last modified: 22 days ago

That one doesn't make sense to me either, Annie.

And I had 'rat', not mouse. I think that looks more like a rat than a mouse.

'Split second timing' is a perfect clue and I can't believe it never occurred to me!

I think most people who lived through the 70s remember the 'I Am Woman' 😉

• OutsidePlaying
    22 days ago

I agree with the comments about scenery. I would have never gotten that answer. It just didnt occur to me.

And same with Boulder Dam. I have always known it as Hoover Dam and the bolder font didnt occur to me.

• foodonastump
    22 days ago

SCCHEANNEGREY

• roxsol
    22 days ago

I had season scenery to begin with, which didn’t make sense. I couldn’t think of anything else so went with a change of scenery.

I agree it wasn’t the best.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    22 days ago

Or even SENRECY where the letters are changed up.

• roxsol
    22 days ago

I must say I’m surprised how many did not know Boulder/Hoover Dam. I think Ken Burns sneaks something about that in every documentary about America. 😁

• roxsol
    22 days ago

There’s a Double Dam Golf Course that I play at once in a while. It was hard to shake that thought.

• bpath
    22 days ago

I couldn’t remember the naming sequence, but I remember learning about it in elementary school. I just didn’t get the clues until almost the solutions appeared!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    22 days ago

Can't remember which book it was, but it was set during the depression and it referred to the Hoover Dam, which of course, it wasn't yet. Apparently younger author and editors who never caught it.

• roxsol
    22 days ago

Annie, I believe it was originally the Hoover Dam, got switched to Boulder Dam then back to Hoover Dam.

Dam politics🤣

• roxsol
    22 days ago

“Hoover Dam is named for Mr. Herbert Hoover, the Nation's 31st president. When construction of the dam was initiated, on September 30, 1930, Secretary of the Interior Ray Lyman Wilbur ordered that the dam to be built in the Black Canyon of the Colorado as part of the Boulder Canyon Project Act be called "Hoover Dam". By a Congressional Act of February 14, 1931, this name was made official.

After Mr. Hoover left office, the names "Boulder Canyon Dam" and "Boulder Dam" were frequently used when referring to the dam, allegedly because the new Secretary of the Interior did not like Mr. Hoover. However, the name of the dam was never officially changed from "Hoover." In the 80th Congress (1947), a number of bills were introduced to "officially" restore the name of Hoover Dam. On March 4, 1947, House Resolution 140 was introduced for this purpose.”

Officially, it always was Hoover.

• roxsol
    22 days ago

Hmm, maybe not…

] To mark the occasion, a three-cent stamp was issued by the United States Post Office Department—bearing the name "Boulder Dam", the official name of the dam between 1933 and 1947.[

• roxsol
    22 days ago

Jasdip, these puzzles are not only a good brain workout and fun, but educational too.🤓

• Annie Deighnaugh
    22 days ago

From: https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/americanexperience/features/hoover-controversy/

Twelve years later, Hoover was vindicated when House Resolution 140 was introduced and passed by the 80th Congress. The resolution read, in part, “as President, Herbert Hoover took an active part in settling the engineering problems and location of the dam in Black Canyon…” and noted that “the construction contracts were signed under his administration, and when he left office construction had been pushed to a point where it was more than a year ahead of schedule.” On April 30, 1947, President Harry S. Truman signed the resolution and restored the name Hoover Dam to the structure.

So it was Hoover, became Boulder and went back to Hoover in 1947...

• roxsol
    22 days ago

Interesting stuff 🙂

I still like my initial guess of ”Too damn uneven” 😁

• bpath
    22 days ago

I like your answer, too, roxsol!

• foodonastump
    22 days ago

I might have had a shot at the dam had the larger one actually been in bold font. It’s not; same font as many of the other puzzles.

• lily316
    21 days ago

I said Hoover Dam and see the scenery.

• bpath
    21 days ago

Lily, how did you get Hoover Dam from the clue?

• Lars
    21 days ago

I got Boulder Dam right away, but I did not get Helen Reddy. I never listened to her music.

• roxsol
    21 days ago

Lars,

When Helen Reddy came on the radio, my husband would sing;

🎶

“I am woman, hear me snore

I am too loud to ignore.”

🎶

The kids were amused. Me, not so much.