SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
originalpinkmountain

Help tricking out a cheese board with additional dishes and a cover

l pinkmountain
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

The son of my Dad's godson got married early this spring, and due to the pandemic and a lot of family issues (plus their buying a house and now expecting a baby) the reception and gift giving portion has been prolonged! We already gave them a monetary gift, but I want to gift them a cheese board from my late mother, who was close to the family. They eat a lot of wine and cheese type of foods at many family get together.

So I'm trying to trick it out to make it more functional. One thing was to get a cover for the center which I guess is for some type of block of cheese or dish. I got a clear acrylic one, 8 inches, but it extends a little far so when covered, the rest of the space on the board is much less. It goes well with another small cheese board for which we did not have a cover. I also found this plastic ice cream dish that we never use which goes OK with the set. I looked for a smaller cover, and found a 7 inch one but only glass. A six or seven inch one would work. I'd like clear acrylic because glass ones can break, and with a five year old and a baby on the way, ideally less breakable things. Not saying they won't ever use porcelain or stonewear, but I know less breakable stuff will get more use.

I've also been looking for something melamine that goes with the board, or plastic, for relishes. I'm giving them a set of three home made relishes to go along with the board--apple pie jam, fennel relish and a tomato bruschetta.

Edited to add that I don't want more wood. I know they make some nice pear and apple shaped wood bowls. I just find them fussy to use, have to be washed and dried right away. With both parents working and kids and family etc. I just don't think they will get used that much. That's how it went with Mom's wood salad bowls and that's how it goes with mine. I just don't find myself wanting to use them that often.

Here's a photo of the board and the design in the center. I have a cheese knife set already picked out. Just working on the cover and the dishes for the relishes to accompany the set.

Link to one possibility from Amazon. I like the dishes but they are ceramic. Not terribly expensive.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08NWH6P2J/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_3?smid=A3CS01EHHY8Z1S&psc=1

Comments (8)

Sponsored
More Discussions