SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lisaa007

Show me your pull-out cutting boards, pls

lisa_a
9 years ago

DH and DS2 were horrified :) when I first suggested that we would not have a pull-out cutting board in our new kitchen. DH has been so great about going along with all my other crazy kitchen ideas, making very few requests on this or on any other matter, that when he does voice a preference, I try as hard as possible to honor it.

So, I amended our kitchen plan to include a pull-out cutting board. Not really a big deal, IMO, although I do wish I could get them to scrub it off more regularly.

Anyhoo, our cab designer suggested a cutting board designed like this:

Traditional Kitchen by Howard Lake Cabinets & Cabinetry Dura Supreme Cabinetry

If I understand its function correctly, when you pull the drawer out, the cutting board comes out with it and to access drawer items, you have to push the cutting board back. It is removable for washing - that is a definite must for me. I think if we store seldom used items in that drawer, it won't be a big deal that we have to move the cutting board back to get to them. Our KD said that this type of cutting board is very stable because it's resting on the drawer.

The other option we could do is a split drawer face with a knob for the cutting board, meaning that the cutting board and the drawer operate individually. Like this.

Now you see it

Modern Kitchen by Los Angeles Design-Build Firms KellyBaron

Now you don't

Modern Kitchen by Los Angeles Design-Build Firms KellyBaron

But as I look at our 20 yr old cutting board with its very worn cab face from all the scrubbing, I wonder if we should just forgo the matching cab face and have the cutting board look like a cutting board, like this one:

Rustic Kitchen by Gridley Kitchen & Bath Fixtures Kitchen & Bath Trends of Kansas, LLC

How cute is this cutting board?

Traditional Kitchen

Please show me your pull-out cutting boards and share with me your decision process behind choosing the one you did. Would you make the same decision? If not, what would you do differently?

TIA!

Comments (26)