SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kaciea

Bad tile job and how to address it?

kaciea
2 years ago

Hi all-we've been getting a bathroom remodel for the past month and a half and the shower tile was recently finished. It's not lined up and does not look great in our opinion, but we aren't sure how to address it/if it looks poor from a professional standpoint. Can others give opinion on this work who know tile jobs well? Pictures attached. Thanks in advance!

Comments (54)

• kaciea
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Luckily only paid half so far, but haven't addressed the tile situation yet.

• PRO
    Brickwood Builders, Inc.
    2 years ago

There are many handy(persons) who think they can be a jack-of-all-trades and do it all - and some of them will call themselves a contractor. There are also some tile setters that have no real training or skill. Seems that if one can buy a few tools they think they are capable of acceptable work. Of course, these folks are less expensive than a GC that hires professional trades to do the work.

This is one of the worst jobs I have seen and the contrasting grout color just sets it off even more. We do everything we can to talk people out of contrasting grout. If it were on my job, it would be a full gut and start over. You won't get what you paid back so it is money down the drain. You will pay more to have it removed and to have a competent tile setter redo the work. You probably won't get that paid for either, but you should try. One of life's expensive learning lessons. I wouldn't let it go any longer without addressing it.

• Related Discussions

Please help--bad tile job! What now?

Q

Comments (24)
    I googled something else and found this thread. Lippageis poor craftsmanship. I was looking for a way to explain to my client why im taking so long. They keep complaining im slow at tiling I keep telling them im very detailed and every stone must fit perfect. Polishing lippage is wrong probably why it broke. A planatary floor sander should be used first to smooth out lippage. a full section should be done, like a room and stop on a grout line/seem. Then honing using honing powder to the desired finish this for natural stone. Polishing will not remove lippage. From WORK From WORK
    ...See More

Bad Tile Job?? Need advice ASAP.

Q

Comments (3)
    What StoneTech says. The total system is so important, not just the esthetics. PICTURES. Always take pictures of the process. I am a DIYer in several areas of my remodels and I take a million pictures of my progress. IT IS SO HELPFUL :) The "top couple feet" of drywall you mention, is that in a shower? With shower surounds there are a couple of feet above the unit that is drywall, so I don't think that is an issue unless it is in the actual splash zone. The ventilation and the paint must be first rate to prevent moisture condensation damage. In my current bathroom project, I will be tiling to the ceiling but not the ceiling. I have a vent fan in my shower, approved for wet areas, to control the moisture. And I will be using paint specifically designed for bathroom use.
    ...See More

How bad is this tile job?

Q

Comments (7)
    You have probably already given the contractor more money than he deserves for such lousy work. Insist on a re-do and file a complaint with your state's home improvement commission so legal action can be taken if work isn't redone to your satisfaction. If you don't have a state commission, research what consumer protections are available in your state to help you have the work corrected by the contractor or to receive money back to have it done correctly by another contractor.
    ...See More

Reality check for me, does this tile job look bad to you?

Q

Comments (34)
    Today he sent the punch list back with comments and wrote, "Tiles are hand made and grout/caulk lines cannot be consistent due to the way the tiles are manufactured". Just my 2 cents... Integrity issues are where I draw a hard line in these types of arrangements. I am typically willing to make many sacrifices to keep a project moving forward including bearing some of the costs that I rightly shouldn't have to bear and occasionally accepting less than perfect results. However, when a contractor starts lying to me or threatening to quit are things I draw the line at right quick. As for seeing an attorney in these situations, I often advise people to see their attorney to help get a handle on negotiations and legal rights. However, this is not likely a situation that you are going to want to resolve through your attorney. Use your attorney to advise what you should do, and maybe get him to send a demand letter, but don't try to use your attorney to resolve this situation. This is the way a good attorney should direct you anyway. Good luck
    ...See More
  • cpartist
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Removing the tile will also void the waterproofing so you will need to start from scratch.

Do you have any pictures of the waterproofing he did before putting the tiles on? In a well waterproofed shower, you'd be able to shower without tiles and grout and those are not waterproofed. However if this is the job he did that you see, I'd be very concerned about the job you can't see.

Honestly, if this tile was any better it would be considered awful.

• cpartist
    2 years ago

How to address it? You fire this guy and then go hire someone who follows TCNA guidelines on how to properly waterproof and tile a shower.

• kaciea
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks all, we're talking to him today. We were out of town for a few days, so are only getting a chance to address it now. From what I saw, the waterproofing looked good (in my unprofessional opinion). Things seemed to go bad once tile started going up.

• flopsycat1
    2 years ago

Not good. And contrasting grout makes not good even more obvious.

• felizlady
    2 years ago

Tile work requires a good eye, exact measurements, and most of all, experience. The job done in your bathroom is unacceptable. It’s good you have taken pictures. The grout would have been much better if it matched the tile…dark grout only accentuates the extremely poor tile job. Considering what the tile guy thinks is acceptable, I would hope that whoever did the waterproofing was an actual professional.

• kaciea
    Original Author
    2 years ago

So we chatted with him today and he said he needs to sand the grout and that since our wall slopes it was impossible to properly line the tiles up. I mentioned re-grouting with white instead and he said he could do that. I'm so torn because we've put so much money into this already.

• Susan Murin
    2 years ago

You will see and hate this every single time you shower. It is worth fixing now. Do not pay him another dime. While the contrasting grout highlights the faults, they will still be there if you regrout. Don’t get talked into accepting this.

• kandrewspa
    2 years ago

If there is a tile/flooring store nearby, ask them for recommendations for real tile setters. This guy is clearly not one. I have seen DIY efforts that were only slightly better than this, but it was their first try, and it cost them nothing other than the cost of the tile. This is completely unacceptable for professional work.

• Olychick
    2 years ago

That niche makes me want to cry for you. Grout, regardless of what color is used, will not make that anywhere close to right. If he thought this was acceptable, there is no way I'd let him back in my house. And I'd demand my $$ back. You probably won't get it, but I'd at least try to get some of it so I could hire a pro.

• chispa
    2 years ago

Why would anyone think that mold colored grout on a light tile would be a good idea? He probably knows you are quickly going to get real mold and wants to make sure you don't notice it too soon! We've seen novice DIY homeowners here do a much better job on their first shower project.

• User
    2 years ago

Fix this now. have him rip it out so you don’t have to pay someone else but have a real tile person redo it. probably one of the worse jobs.and him thinking it can be fixed is a big red flag.

• kaciea
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Ugh, this is all awful. He blamed the unaligned tile on the sloping of the walls and house (we do have some settling--it's an old house). I'm not sure how to form a comeback for that.

• suedonim75
    2 years ago

The unaligned tile isnt even the worst of the problem. what’s his excuse for the horrendous grout job? Or the tile cut to the wrong length in the niche? His excuse doesn’t fly. Lots of people have old houses with wonky walls, professionals find ways to work with/around them.

• millworkman
    2 years ago

"He blamed the unaligned tile on the sloping of the walls and house (we do have some settling--it's an old house). I'm not sure how to form a comeback for that."

Why did he wait until now to bring this up? Why not tell you up front it would look awful and that the walls should be fixed? I'll tell you why, because he is full of crap. It looks awful because of his workmanship.

• JustDoIt
    2 years ago

I don't think this is a sloping wall issue.

• User
    2 years ago

As suedonim says a professional knows how to deal with wall issues. your come back is the work is completely unacceptable. sorry but he just doesn’t know what he’s doing.

• User
    2 years ago

The “come back” is a professional tiler identifies out of plumb walls before he/she begins and tiles anyway so it looks right according to acceptable standards, or walks away citing inability to tile under those conditions. They dont do a terrible job and blame the job site after the fact. Ask for your money back. Don’t let him do anything further. And grout is either sanded or not; it’s part of the mix. Tilers don’t add sand after.

• chiflipper
    2 years ago

TOTALLY a hack job, there are SO many things wrong I don't know where to start. Please read through this old post...this horror will be your shower in a few years.

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/3938449/shower-autopsy-warning-graphic

• Hilary
    2 years ago

It's terrible; have you finished paying them? I hope not. It's completely uneven; I had the same problem 5 years ago when getting new kitchen. I posted pics on this forum and everybody told me it was wrong, just wrong. Make your contractor give you credits for this or have him take it out. You'll have a hard time selling your house like this. It's just ugly. Go with white. Sorry.

• PRO
    Dragonfly Tile & Stone Works, Inc.
    2 years ago

Sadly, you did not have a professional do this work.

LOOKING FOR A QUALIFIED TILE INSTALLER?

14 QUESTIONS YOU SHOULD ASK TO FIND A GOOD MATCH FOR YOUR PROJECT.

1. Do they have liability insurance and if they have employees, are they covered with Worker’s Compensation Insurance?

· Make sure you can verify appropriate insurance coverage.

2. Are they licensed (if required in your area)?

· Verify. Some states do not require tile contractor’s to be licensed.

3. How many years have they been working exclusively as tile installers?

· It takes many years to become proficient as a dedicated, qualified tile professional. Five years or more would be an expected minimum.

4. How was the installer trained? Do they participate in on-going professional industry training from organizations and or manufactures, and specifically what?

· Installers who have completed an apprenticeship under a Qualified Tile Installer and participate in industry training are generally more likely to follow standards and recommendations and stay current with products, materials, and industry updates.

5. Are they familiar with the TCNA Handbook and ANSI Standards and do they follow these industry recommendations?

· The TCNA Handbook coupled with ANSI Standards are the industry recognized guidelines for the installation of tile for a wide range of applications. A qualified tile professional will be familiar with and know how to specify and use these reference tools.

6. If wet areas (showers/baths) are to be included in the work performed, what approved system/methods will they use to assure a long-lasting installation?

· Tile installations in wet areas require some very important preparation to avoid leaks and unwanted moisture problems. Hybrid or unapproved methods, and the use of materials inappropriate for this application can contribute to a very costly and unwanted result that too often requires complete removal and replacement by a qualified professional. A quality installation should last decades or longer.

7. What manufacturer’s products do they use and do they comply with manufacturer’s instructions?

· There are many manufacturers of quality tile setting materials. Most perform well with use of approved methods and adherence to manufacturer specifications. Qualified tile installers will be well-versed on the materials and systems they prefer and should be able to answer your questions about the process and materials and their associated warranties.

8. Do they have a company website or social media page with photos of their work?

· Professionals will have a public presence that is available to consumers so you can review their work and customer reviews. Lack of a traceable, legitimate, and committed business should be a deterrent to hiring.

9. Can you speak with recent customers and see photos of those projects?

· Qualified, experienced tile contractors will have a loyal client base that is happy to recommend them and share their experience.

10. Do they have experience working with the type of tile you plan to use?

· There are different methods, materials and considerations when installing various tile products… ceramic, porcelain, large format tile, handmade tile, natural stone, glass. Verify their experience and training with the tile product you have chosen.

11. Talk to them about positives and challenges of past projects

· Get to know the tile professional as part of your project team. Do they take pride in their work? If your General Contractor is hiring the tile installer, it may make sense to request meeting with the GC and tile installer in advance of the installation.

12. What has been their greatest challenge as a tile installer?

· Listen carefully to understand the installer’s limitations and ability to meet your expectations.

13. Do they or their team belong to a professional organization like NTCA (National Tile Contractor’s Association)?

· Industry involvement is one indication of a tile installation company’s commitment to their craft. It gives them access to education, technical information, and other resources to assist them in professionally serving you.

14. Are they, or do they have Certified Tile Installer’s (Certified Tile Education Foundation, CTI) on their team?

· The certification of tile installers is an important step forward for the consumer. The industry has established a process to certify tile installers. Certification identifies an installer as being a dedicated and knowledgeable professional whose competence in installing tile has been verified to meet specific tile industry standards. Search Certified Tile Education Foundation for a CTI near you.

• Fori
    2 years ago

He cut the tile AFTER the house settled.

• Mark Brunner
    2 years ago

Oh stop. Uneven walls, give me a break. It’s basic math. Have that fixed like yesterday.

• cpartist
    2 years ago

So we chatted with him today and he said he needs to sand the grout and that since our wall slopes it was impossible to properly line the tiles up. I mentioned re-grouting with white instead and he said he could do that. I'm so torn because we've put so much money into this already.

A professional would have first made sure the wall didn't slope. This is a hack job.

Just because you put good money in already, doesn't mean he's going to make it right and then when your shower leaks into your walls in a year or two, how much will it cost you then to remediate the mold, rotten wood, etc?

Changing the grout color will not fix the poor tile job. Honestly you deserve to get your money back. If it were me, I'd take lots of pictures, get a true professional tiler in who knows TCNA standards and then go to small claims court to get your money back.

• PRO
    Mint tile Minneapolis
    2 years ago

HIRE WISELY HIRE ONCE.

When your spidey senses go OFF telling you the deal is too good. Listen to spidey.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    2 years ago

IMO one more reason to not have a niche either . This is amess and needs a redo and that will require redoing the waterproofing and next time forget the nice and get a nice over the door or wall shower caddy .BTW no whaite grout and honestly since you are redoing use much larger tiles too the fewer grout lines the better on both bathroom floors and shower walls.

• Olychick
    2 years ago

^^^^^ Or design your shower how you prefer, not how some random person on the internet likes hers. Just get a tiler who can do what you want with some professionalism and skill.

• kaciea
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks all for the input, I've certainly gotten the message that it's even worse than I thought. Another issue right now is that neither the toilet sink is installed and we need a functioning bathroom (we only have one full bath), so we may have to get those finished while we hunt for a professional to fix the shower mess.

• PRO
    Studio NOO Design
    2 years ago

This is the worst job ever ! And this grout looks awful too. You cannot accept this from anay installer !

• millworkman
    2 years ago

"This is the worst job ever !"

I would not got that far as we have seen much, much worse here alone, and you could more thank likely use this on a temporary basis but I would not use it for too long.

kaciea thanked millworkman
  • Amy10N
    2 years ago

Did you have uneven tile on it before? The pictures say it all, and while it sucks to say it, he cannot believe that this is a job that is worth paying for as it was done incorrectly. Why did he finish it instead of calling to say the walls were uneven and that it would not be possible to have an acceptable outcome? That would have been respected and would strengthen your trust in him. Disappointing. Sorry that you have to deal with this.

• cpartist
    2 years ago

BTW: I have had shower niches in all my showers with no issues. I have however had issues with shower caddies.

This was my condo that I redid in 2010 and sold in 2016. No issues at all with my niche.

Been in my new house now for 3 years with my niche. No issues here either. And in both my old condo and this house, the guest bathroom showers both have niches too with no issues. If the tiling is done correctly, no issues with the shower or the niches.

• User
    2 years ago

This makes me want to cry for you

• kaciea
    Original Author
    2 years ago

It makes us want to cry too, it's so disheartening to have saved up for something and to have it go so awful after a lot of false promises.

• lynzy1
    2 years ago

It will eventually all be okay. How did you come to find this tile guy?

• kaciea
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks for your help everyone! We have fired the contractor and hired a professional tiler (did our homework this time--don't worry) who will be starting in a few weeks time. Hopefully the dream bathroom will be a reality soon!

• Olychick
    2 years ago

Hard to have to do, but you'll be happier in the long run - knowing it's done properly AND enjoying the beauty of a nice tile job!

• kaciea
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Yes agreed! It will be so nice to have the end product we've wanted done correctly and meticulously.

• PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    2 years ago

Great!

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago

what a difference!! looks beautiful. were you able to recoup any of your money from the prior job?

• suedonim75
    2 years ago

It looks amazing!

• Olychick
    2 years ago

Wonderful! So glad you found a good tiler and are happy!

• kaciea
    Original Author
    2 years ago

We did not pay the second half of the money to the first contractor, but unfortunately didn't get any money back from the first half. But we're just happy to be done with that experience.

• Cynthia
    2 years ago

Wow! Night and Day difference! It was worth it for sure!!!

• PRO
    Brickwood Builders, Inc.
    2 years ago

Looks great. Much better tile/grout selection and the work is very nice. Good ending to a hard journey.

• cpartist
    2 years ago

It looks beautiful. So glad you got a good job this time.

• Oliver Valencia
    11 months ago
    last modified: 11 months ago

You could consider reaching out to professional tile installers or even consulting with a local contractor to get their opinion on the situation. They may be able to assess the quality of the work and suggest appropriate steps to address any concerns.

Remember, open communication is key when addressing any issues with contractors. Discuss your concerns with the remodeling team and express your desire for a satisfactory outcome. They should be willing to work with you to find a solution that meets your expectations.

On a different note,, if you're looking for government job opportunities in Madhya Pradesh, you can explore the MP Online Govt Jobs portal, which provides information and listings specifically for that region.