SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_571058308

Make kitchen designed for looks by retirees work for young family

M
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

We are a family of five (3 young kids), who purchased our 1840 home a couple of years ago from a retired couple. The kitchen was gutted in 2005 - we adore how it looks but there are a couple of things that aren't very functional for us. A large-scale gut is not in the cards, but with a major appliance recently gone and others on their last legs, we are considering whether a smaller scale remodel can make the space more functional.

Problem #1: Cooktop in center peninsula requires downdraft ventilation, which performs horribly, constantly setting off the smoke alarm. Venting up is not possible.

Problem #2: The fridge is completely integrated into the cabinets behind a panel and very small/super shallow. As a working mom of three young kids I like to batch cook on the weekends and make decent size grocery runs, which necessitates using a 35 year old, inconveniently located fridge in our unfinished cellar.

Design dilemma: external walls where we could place a proper hood are in short supply. However, there is one wall - 66" max space from door frame to window - located at the entrance to the kitchen. It currently houses a functional 1918 gas stove original to the home, that I never use b/c I'm scared of burning the house down:

One potential solution is to build a cabinet here for a 30" cooktop (I'd go with induction) and move the vintage stove elsewhere to use purely for decoration.

Pros: 1) Could have hooded ventilation, 2) We could build a 24" combi steam oven into the cabinet, which I think we would use nearly daily given our cooking style, 3) I think if we removed the current cooktop, the cabinet underneath could be retrofitted for refrigerated drawers (still waiting on confirmation from the cabinet guy), potentially solving the refrigerator real estate problem.

Cons: 1) We currently have a 36" cooktop, and I do sometimes use it at capacity for batch cooking. While one could put a 36" cooktop on the external wall, it would leave very little prep space, and very little cabinet space if we put a combi oven trimmed out to 30" underneath (instead of 24"; what we'd used with a 30' cooktop). Combi oven would need to go directly underneath 36" cooktop, whereas with a 30" cooktop it could be on the side with more prep space. 2) I assume removing the current cooktop requires replacing the entire soapstone countertop on the peninsula (or otherwise leaving an unfunctional cooktop there, far from ideal). This obviously adds additional $$$, to ultimately have a smaller - if way better vented - cooktop. 3) There's a window through to the pantry on the wall by the door, whose base is below counter height.

With a 30" cooktop, I could have up to 24" of space on this side of the cooktop, so I don't think there's a safety issue, but is it going to look really weird to have a countertop that is a couple of inches above the base of this window?

Thanks so much!

Comments (9)