SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
grahamw_gw

Making a small kitchen work

grahamw
9 years ago

I have a small kitchen with a poor layout. It is a newer home but the builder-quality kitchen is already showing its age after 10 years. Here is what I have:

And this is the optional layout that the builder provided (NB: this includes a door into the garage, which I'd really like).

Big issues with my kitchen:

1) It is a u-shape but so narrow that the builder didn't use corner cabinets beside the stove. That means, I have two corners that are darn near inaccessible. I also don't have any usable counter space beside the stove. Installing corner cabinets means moving the peninsula which means plumbing, electrical and tile work. It also will reduce the size of my eating area.

2) The eating area blocks access to sliding door which makes it difficult to get into the back yard.

3) With two kids (2 and 4), I don't feel there is enough counter space to have both kids standing on their stools next to me while we're at the counter.

Is there anyone here who is willing to sketch some alternate layouts? I have young kids and like built-in seating. We are a family of 4, but would like to seat 6 on occasion. I would like to add the garage door but cannot imagine how to shoe-horn seating into the kitchen and not block the sliding door. I am contemplating replacing the sliding door with a window and single French door as this would allow me to put bench seating in the corner.

Comments (29)