SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
zanotti

Young family needs color help!!!

zanotti
7 years ago

Hi All!
I've been following several threads on GardenWeb since purchasing my first home with my husband, our 2 year old, and newborn. We bought - what I believe can be - a beautiful, open floor plan ranch on 2 acres. We loved it when we bought it, but now it's starting to feel overwhelming in terms of decorating and color.

Something about the lighting is really throwing me off in this house. The living room is north facing and quite dark. In the winter, when we looked at the house, it does seem a bit brighter, possibly from reflection of the snow? We live in Michigan.

There is a gorgeous, large addition on the south end of the house with windows all the way around. It is beautiful and bright all day, every season. However, adding that room basically took away all the light from the middle of the house which is where the dining room and kitchen are. There are no east/west windows.

Everything is currently painted Behr "Swiss Coffee" and it feels pretty drab. The kitchen and dining room don't bother me as much as the living room and addition.

Things I know are awful but am stuck with for now: woodwork (paint white? ASAP), fireplace (update within year), vinyl floor, oak cupboards.

My main wish is to identify some paint colors that might look nice in the north facing living room and identify what to paint on which wall. As you can see, pretty much all of that furniture is neutral and IKEA or hand-me-down. I need to recover the ottoman but haven't gotten around to it yet, mostly because i'm struggling to pick fabric until I know what paint to use. I like cool colors (blues/greens) more than warm colors but am not afraid of a nice golden color if that might work.

Any ideas would be GREATLY, ENORMOUSLY, APPRECIATED!

Comments (14)