SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
plan2remodel

Change or keep footprint in 8x7 hallway bathroom

plan2remodel
2 years ago

Complete gut and remodel of upstairs hallway bathroom, which is 8 by 7.5 ft. I plan to replace the tub/shower combo with a walk-in shower. My plumber says moving plumbing fixtures is possible but more costly. I cannot move the walls or the entry door -- I can change the window.

I have tried (on paper) every arrangement I can imagine. Of the attached two layouts, which do you prefer?

The first layout (with green rug) keeps the same footprint and has a shower with exterior dimensions of 60 X 42 inches, with 20-inch deep vanity. The second layout (with black rug) has a shower with exterior dimensions of 54 X 48 inches, also shown with a narrow vanity. I can adjust the shower dimensions to allow for a deeper vanity. Both layouts allow for 36-inch space for the toilet.

Constraints: I am in California where shower pivot doors are required to open outward and not inward, and the shower door cannot conflict with the entry door. The shower control valves must be easily accessible from both inside and outside the shower, and I want to avoid having the valves on the exterior wall. I added a built-in bench in my downstairs guest bathroom and want to include a bench, if possible in this bathroom.

Comments (3)