SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jennbpowers

Help with Unfortunate Stair installation problem

Jenn Powers
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

In the final stetches of a remodel that started with a burst pipe in our Los angeles townhouse. We moved out for two weeks for floors to be replaced with white oak engineered wide plank that is taller than our prevoous floor and also has self leveler applied where there was previously none. Turns out some of the new stair treads dont clear the existing railing- something we didn’t realize in time to troubleshoot.

I was in consistent contact with the flooring contractor and the installer about all kinds of details and seeing photos of progression. However the installer didnt bring this issue to my attention and installed the solid stair treads with a notch to fit around the existing railings which did not clear the height of the new flooring.

We have already received agreement from our GC and the flooring sub that this is not acceptable work (everything else looks great throughoutit) and needs to be fixed, and that will happen next week. How to fix it is the question. Would obviously prefer a simple fix which does not involve tearing the whole living room’s new flooring and asjusting the height of the railings. Our GC has come up with the idea of redoing the bottom two stairs and finessing them to make each one a 1/4 inch shorter to clear the railing, so that a full tread can be installed. He thinks will not be noticable to the eye, or feel off while one is using the stairs. i also wonder about removing the bottom rail on both sides but that probably would look strage and may not be to code.

I would be so grateful if any pros have opinions on this situation or better ideas for a fix. Thank you!!!!

Comments (12)