SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kristenelliottscott

Any color schemes pop into your head? Exterior windows, paint colors

K Scotty
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Hi there!

We just purchased a home. It was built in 1984 and it needs *everything* updated inside and out. Here are a couple pictures of it (this picture doesn't accurately show how much more orange-toned our brick and paint body color look in real life):

We will start on the outside since it needs windows & siding ASAP, as well as garage doors, paint, & trim. We will probably have to stain the brick as well. We just removed all the juniper bushes from the front and the back (oh my gosh it was a lot!), and the smaller tree in the front of the house will also be taken down since it is growing into the roof. There sure is a lot of brick!

If anyone has any visions of color schemes that pop into your mind when looking at the picture, I would love to hear about them! I listed what I'm leaning toward below but I'm not sure it goes together.

I plan to hire a designer to consult for things like this, but unfortunately we need to order the windows before I will be able to meet with a designer so I need to at least figure out exterior window color asap. We also had to order garage doors since they broke the day we moved in. This is the style we picked (except we chose a different window pattern, so instead of 4 small windows per panel it will have one wide seeded glass window per panel). We will paint these new garage doors to complement our color choices, probably the same color as our trim?

Edited to add: Someone asked what I am drawn to. My husband and I tend to be drawn to different styles. He does *not* like all white… inside or on exteriors. He also has one caveat, he does NOT want white exterior windows which really limits me, so we are leaning toward Pella's Architectual Series "Iron Ore". I love the farmhouse style with off white paint color and dark windows with no trim, but I don’t think that would look good for our style of home or in our neighborhood in the first place, and my husband doesn’t like all white so I can’t really do that anyway.

I am drawn to SW Dovetail (a warm medium gray), with trim and garage color possibly SW Skyline Steel if we decide to do trim with Pella's Iron Ore windows for some contrast. Here is a pic of it (hard to get colors to show up accurately since the white balance kept shifting. Iron ore is the 2nd color down labeled 'vanilla cream' since that is the color that is on the other side of the sample).

Also, here are a couple pictures I found on Houzz that I like the combinations of. (This first pic is Iron Ore exterior windows from Pella Architectual series). Do you think that a warm gray siding color like SW Dovetail would look OK with the iron ore exterior windows and Skyline steel trim & garage door?

Contemporary Custom with Colorado Beetlekill · More Info

Thanks so much for any ideas you come up with!

Kristen

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!