SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
scruffysalt192837

Exterior paint scheme - what color to paint 7(!) doors

If my house was on TV, it would be nicknamed 'the house with all the doors'. Or something catchier.

The house is an acreage with green fields around it. The design is a bit odd. It's a walkout basement, and the 'front door' is in the basement, as if it was a walk up. But the side of the house that faces the street is very plain.

The door that is actually used as the front door is the door beside the garage. Zero presence for the 99.99% used entry.

The house is being repainted. The siding will be BM Concord Ivory. That is close to the original paint color; the existing paint is severely faded. The trim will probably be BM Simply White.

I don't know if I should paint the doors red, white or yellow, or something else.

This first photo is the side that faces the street. For the upper balcony door, I'm thinking the siding color (or similar/darker) to minimize the doors. Maybe stain the shakes the same similar color. The section of bare concrete will be painted the siding color.

For the man door into the garage, maybe switch to yellow so that it blends more, and the entry door (on the left) 'pops' if it stays red? I don't know if it would be odd to have the two doors different colors when they are next to each other.

For the back deck, should I leave the doors red? Or blend into the siding? Technically the doors could be white, but the area gets very dusty. Not pictured is another door behind that leads into a gazebo. The white trim around the glass will be painted whatever color the doors get painted. Sidenote, the painter suggested painting the horizontal 'crown moulding' (his words) the same colour as the siding so that the ceiling seems higher. I get his point, but I think it would look odd, especially whatever transition on the outside corner in the middle of the picture. The ombre siding illustrates the fading due to sunlight!

I don't know if I should try visually minimize all the doors, or keep all of them bold and not try to create visual differences between primary and secondary doors.

I've played around with paint visualizers, but I'm biased because am so used to the existing. Fresh, critical eyes would be very much appreciated!

Comments (3)