SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
katlea

Help needed with finishing out master bedroom please.

katlea
2 years ago

I’ve struggled with how to
finish out this project for a while but just can’t come up with anything for wall decor & accessories. I’m not sure what style I’ve got going on here & that may be part of my problem. I like clean lines & neutrals but also think a little color might help? I enjoy changing linens seasonally so don’t want to add anything that would lock me into a color scheme. Should I put something on the walls on either side of the bed & leave the space above the bed blank? Should I put something behind the nightstands &/or above the bed & leave the side walls blank? Do I need framed prints, unframed canvas, decorative objects, a mix of all the above? My head just spins when I start thinking about it. Any suggestions are welcome!

Comments (71)

• lenachristina
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

First of all, you have to do what resonates with you. I think you did a beautiful job on your bedroom. I get a sense that you wanted harmony, peace and relaxation and I believe you have achieved it. My suggestion is to not paint the wall above your bed. I think the change in color would be a little jarring and I believe you have beautifully achieved a sense of calm. I see a horizontal piece of art that is much shorter than it is wide above the bed. It would not extend beyond the width of the headboard, but could be quite wide but not tall. The bottom piece that Jinx showed really resonated with me, except I felt it needed to be wider and/or not as tall. I'm not sure, but it didn't seem to feel like the right size. Given that you have chosen soft colors, I might find anything with black a little jarring. I wouldn't put anything above the night tables. They provide a beautiful sense of balance as is. In addition, if you live in an earthquake zone, be very cautious about putting anything framed with glass over your bed. Again, this is what resonates with me. You have to do what feels right to you. Although personally I gravitate to brighter colors; I really love what you have done. I thought your bedroom was great and I am confident that whatever you choose which feels balanced, peaceful and beautiful will be the right thing,

• Related Discussions

Need help with nightstands for master bedroom. Please help!

Q

Comments (7)
    Beautiful headboard! You have a lot of options to choose from! It appears from the photo that the bedroom may be on the smaller side. In that case, I suggest either a small pedestal table, or nesting tables in lieu of nightstands. It would also look stunning (and save space) to hang pendants on the side of your bed, instead of the traditional table lamp. Good luck! [Pedestal Table[(https://www.houzz.com/products/coastal-living-resort-sol-playa-martini-table-prvw-vr~92660754) [Nesting Tables[(https://www.houzz.com/products/tommy-bahama-home-ocean-club-ocean-reef-nesting-tables-prvw-vr~72043923) [Pendant[(https://www.houzz.com/products/kendrick-1-light-mini-pendant-western-bronze-prvw-vr~64197496) [Pendant[(https://www.houzz.com/products/arteriors-arianna-185-pendant-in-antique-mercury-prvw-vr~78492842)
    ...See More

Need help picking out a paint color for master bedroom.

Q

Comments (4)
    I'm glad you changed your mind about the SW blue if that's the sample on the wall--Too dark and unnatural imo. Are you staging for sale? Then I'd go for a less obtrusive color; maybe a very pale grey or off white, even just white for that matter.
    ...See More

Master bedroom help with finishing touches

Q

Comments (8)
    Thank you calidesign and Sabrina Alfin Interiors Sabrina, I am struggling with what patterns to add. I brought some pieces to put above the bed and ended up returning them, either too small or too big. I love your first picture, it gives me idea for the TV too. I wanted to find inspiration for the drapes and coordinated pillows. Thank you again!
    ...See More

Help me finish off my master bedroom

Q

Comments (6)
    I love the first chair you posted, but I definitely agree that if you are looking to actually use it to curl up in, I don't think that one is it. I think any of the others will be very nice, but I think my preference would be the last 2. ( I am also looking into a chair for bedroom. I do have one that does have arms and I do use it but it's more of a queen anne type so not super curl up in. I think if you have room for it, an ottoman with a chair would be really good).
    ...See More
  • Nancy LaRochelle
    2 years ago

I agree with Miranda Henning’s answer. A few personal art pieces would finish off what is already a beautiful room.

• reich1
    2 years ago

Put a pretty mirror behind each table lamp along side the bed.

• Jilly
    2 years ago

“Jinx, thanks for doing the mocks ups-that’s a great way to see something in the room but I have no idea how to create them. Is there an app or website for doing that?“

I just use very basic (free) collage sites I google. They have to be very simple for my skills (or lack therof). :D

• Kim Allman
    2 years ago

Personally, I think with the high headboard, anything on the wall directly above it looks too high, out of proportion & "floaty." I would simply add some contrast with the wall color going a bit darker than the headboard to make that element stand out more. Right now the wall, linens, headboard & lamps just kind of fade together. I do like @reich1's suggestion of mirrors behind the lamps. And as others have said, art is just so personal. I wouldn't purchase anything until you find something that really makes your spirit sing. Better to have bare walls than just something to fill in the space, imo. It's a lovely room.

• judygilpin
    2 years ago

Your bedroom is very pretty, but a little bland in the color department. I would paint the wall behind the bed in a cocoa brown or the blue in your throw pillows. That would add a little more drama. If you still want art above the headboard, I would choose a rather large, but yet delicate metal sculpture.

• molldoll2
    2 years ago

You have done a great job and the room is very monochromatic and calm. I for one would like to see 3 pieces of art, one above the bed which would be rather large and horizontal and one on each of the side walls that could be on the large size and more square. Northing that is too bright.

• rd1839bs
    2 years ago

Great job! I would change out the lamps shades to a light blue to go with the pillow color and make them stand out againt the wall.. Add a second chair to the end of the bed for a more symetrical look or change out to a comfy bench. The right wall would make a great photo gallery of family and/or travel photos, mixed frames, but do not go to crazy. The left wall between the windows could maybe use 3 small gold mirrors running vertical which would add interest rather than adding more pictures/art and pick up the gold in the pilows. I think that the wall with the headboard could use some art, maybe in blues, tan and golds, something on the beachy side to pick up all the colors in your bedroom.

• Donna Collins
    2 years ago

I understand you'd like to keep the room itself quite neutral, which is lovely but can look a bit flat. Would you consider adding texture in the same color palette? A grasscloth or linen wallpaper on the headboard wall would make a huge difference without adding color. If you want an easier-care option, there are some very nice "faux" looks. Not the cheap ones, though, which are pretty awful. The other possibility for adding texture without color is some sort of paneling detail on that wall. I don't mean a full wall of paneling, but something like the photo below, perhaps.

Restful Master Bedroom · More Info

You can also add texture with your bed linens. Maybe a chunky waffle weave or cable knit for the throw at the end of the bed. You could change the shades to the bedside lamps so the top of the shades doesn't line up with the top of the headboard. Right now, they create a very strong horizontal line that makes the area above the headboard look empty. Consider changing the knobs on your nightstands and dresser with something darker and larger. They look kind of bitsy against the chunky wood.

One last and really simple thing - change the dark switch/outlet plates to white. The dark plates really stand out against your light walls, and I doubt you mean to feature your outlets in that way.

• HU-24671854
    2 years ago

Start by just painting the headboard wall a darker shade. You'll ground the space, but not add any color element to work around. Bed and lampshades stay the same. Remember you can also change out your artwork seasonally, which I enjoy doing as well as linens. I recommend checking out Great Big Canvas Company. HUGE selection, and excellent prices. https://www.greatbigcanvas.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIn5HyiI3F8gIVhwqtBh23eQBrEAAYASAAEgIhOPD_BwE

Their canvas wrapped pieces would be safe over the bed, and glare would not be an issue. Add another bench, or replace with a larger one, and voila, done. Beautiful room that can easily transition through seasons for interest.

• Anne Miller
    2 years ago

Beautiful room! Have you considered a chandelier over the bed? It would be striking and balance the room from top to bottom.

• jck910
    2 years ago

Agree withreich1 Before reading the comments my first thought was mirrors behind the lamps on the night stands to add some brightness/sparkle. I would not put art over the bed it will be too high. Put art on the empty wall. Just watched an episode of sarah richardson; she uses a sight called unsplash.com for art Look for her youtube she does beautiful rooms

• diva23
    2 years ago

Have you every thought about a beautiful wall covering in grass cloth, I would do it behind the bed and then maybe add mirrors, bigger bench in a lucite or upholstered fabric, add a nice chandelier, update your lamps, if you like a more luxe look. I would do some big art pieces on the other wall. Do some silk curtains with nice hardware. Add

• charlenek168
    2 years ago

Adding Board and Batten accent behind the bed and painting it lighter than the headboard will keep the calm effect. Also, it won't add another decorating dilemma trying to work with another color. Using the side walls for art/family pictures will keep "clutter" to a minimum and keep the focus on the bed, where it should be.

• simplynatural
    2 years ago

Beautiful room! I would emphasize the peaceful, horizontal lines you already have by hanging five identical frames across the bed wall (see edited photo below). For a sense of unity, the art/photos in the frames should relate to each other somehow. Subject matter can be anything that makes you happy. Colors (if any) should at least not fight with any of the color schemes you create by changing accessories. (I would also replace the current bench with one that reinforces those lovely horizontal lines.)

The other two walls pictured need something vertical: a large item on the larger one, something tall and narrow between the windows. Again, something that you love.

Thanks for sharing your beautiful work. (By the way, I just used Microsoft's freebie Paint to edit the photo.)

• Shawn Towey
    2 years ago

I agree that a darker color paint above the bed will give it a center of gravity. How about a dark slate blue? It will read as neutral. And remember, it's really only half a wall. Alternatively, get a very large antique quilt for the adjacent wall,.

• nancymylander
    2 years ago

Your room is beautiful! Love the Board &Batten idea, or painting the wall and adding mirrors behind the night stand lamps. My opinion, but adding letters and words really cheapens the look of such a lovely room. After living in earthquake country hanging anything heavy or glass above the bed is a big no- no.

• J D
    2 years ago

Nancy...I’ve lived in SF my whole life but I’ve never had this problem. I have these angels above my bed that are plaster and heavy. I hired someone specifically to secure them to the wall and they’ve been fine!

• Shoemaker
    2 years ago

Your room looks very nice! The only thing bothering me is the the black light fixture hanging from the ceiling. Any way you could switch that out? It doesn’t go with your design in any way.

• Martin Seebach
    2 years ago

A metal or lacquered wood, sculpture of grape leaves or birds in flight could work above the headboard. Something thin that is shaped so dust won't be the first thing you notice. Shelving for books, things you like seeing with lights beneath would break up the open space there and give options for visible and/or covered items. It looks comfortable and cozy, nice job.

• katlea
    Original Author
    2 years ago

You all have given me a ton of great ideas! Thanks for taking the time to comment & provide images to help me “see” what the room needs. Someone asked about the paint color & it’s Ben Moore/White Dove & trim is Simply White, I’m 100% happy with this choice. I won’t be painting the headboard wall a darker shade/color but the suggestions about adding grasscloth or board & batten are interesting options. As for mirrors behind the nightstands, I’m hesitant about that since I already have the large round mirror above the dresser…seems like too many mirrors in one room. The idea of using the 5 identical frames above the headboard is striking! I also like the suggestion of a glass bookcase between the two windows but it would have to be quite shallow. Maybe some picture ledges on that wall? I would love to change out the light fixture to a pendant or something more decorative but it’s an 8’ ceiling so not sure if there’s an option for that?

• J D
    2 years ago

Hard to tell from the pictures. But is the chandelier located directly above the bed?

• katlea
    Original Author
    2 years ago

It’s right at the foot of the bed so if I added a bench it would be partially above that as well.

• L
    2 years ago

I actually like your ceiling light. I am a big crystal chandelier person (showing my age as younger people don't go for them), but unless you have high ceilings please forget the pendant idea. I think what you have works great. I am surprised your ceiling is 8 feet. The picture made it appear higher. Absolutely don't go pendant. You've worked magic. Sounds like you are taking some of the great ideas on this thread and will continue to beautify this room. In addition, I love how simplynatural balanced the height of the artwork. I might prefer it not extending past the width of the headboard. My eye night prefer nothing above the night tables. However, I am not as visual a person as some others who can imagine. I always have to see it. This is something that your eye has to decide. I think what simplynatural provided was outstanding in nailing the appropriate height and how far above the headboard to hang the art. Extremely helpful.

• maritasloose
    2 years ago

I love the way the symmetry and your choice of colors create a sense of calm. I wouldn’t change the wall colors, the lampshades, or the window hangings for that reason. I do like Simplynatural’s ideas to add a long bench at the foot of the bed and a row of related, simple artwork above the headboard. I think you’ve done a wonderful decorating job here!

• FREDA HICKS
    2 years ago

Sorry, I am just reading your post. Since you said you like to change your bedding seasonally I would not go with paintings. My suggestion is to use some type of metal art in mixed finish or gold to match your mirror or black to match your chandelier. This would give free range with colors/styles in your bedding . Let us know what you decide

• simplynatural
    2 years ago

Katlea, I think your idea of picture ledges on the wall between the windows could work very well. It would personalize your room by bringing in reminders of the people/places/pets you love. The ledges themselves could be clear or painted to match the wall, keeping them quiet and unobtrusive so the focus is on the photos. Frames and objects displayed can be varied in size, shape, and material and sometimes overlapped. That relaxed arrangement here would play nicely against more geometric arrangements elsewhere. Great idea!

• katlea
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Simplynatural, I decided to do a test run on the frames by using brown paper. These are 24 x 18 & I was thinking of matting & framing a 5 x 7 print in each one. The frames in your mock up don’t look this tall, do you remember the size of those?

• J D
    2 years ago

I'm sorry but I think the wall to wall artwork looks quite overwhelming and unbalanced. There is a general rule above a bed...2/3 the size of the bed is how wide the artwork should be. Obviously, it is just a general rule and is often "broken" but I see no reason to go against these guidelines in your case (some reasons this "rule" is broken: unique room proportions, avante-garde design that is purposely going against what's accepted, etc...none of which apply to your room or design). The size of Jinx's landscape artwork (the green/blue one) is much more proportionate.

• katlea
    Original Author
    2 years ago

JD, granted the brown paper looks heavy & overwhelming, but this was an idea I wanted to try without committing. Thin frames & light matting would make a big difference in the overall look. I also liked the PB print posted by Jinx, but at only 37-1/2” wide over an 80” bed it’s a bit small.

• J D
    2 years ago

I’d find something at 2/3 the width of your bed then.

• simplynatural
    2 years ago

Katlea, I think 18x24 is about right. I checked and the rectangles were actually 78x57 pixels. If 78 pixels equals 24 inches, then 57 pixels would be just over 17.5 inches by my calculations. So 18x24 is as close as you can get without custom frames to shave off that not-quite-half-an-inch. (Good estimating!)

I think the reason the mockups look so overwhelming is that they're solid brown. The photo shows mostly white (it's the wall color, actually), with just thin lines for the frames and mat edges and light, airy "artwork" within. Maybe try a mockup with white paper (have any leftover wall paint? kraft paper can probably be painted), drawing lines to represent the mat edge and frame, and see what you think then? If you're framing 5x7's in 18x24 frames with white mats, you will also have mostly white, even if the 5x7's don't have a white background like the edited photo "art" does.

I know this arrangement breaks the normal rules for artwork, but I liked the look of the long horizontal. If I cover the outer two frames in the edited photo with my fingertips, I don't like the row of three as well as the row of five (and three still exceeds the 2/3-of-the-bed-width rule; even two 18x24's hung horizontally would exceed it).

Hope that helps . . .

• lwfromny
    2 years ago

I feel like that many pieces is just too much. The bed is gorgeous and is your focal point. I totally agree that some dimension in the form of grass cloth or board and batten is a great idea. Much better than art on that wall.

• simplynatural
    2 years ago

Katlea, here's your photo of the mockups with a little very rough editing. I left a bit of the brown paper to represent the frame, made the center the wall color, and drew very rough rectangles to represent the 5x7 images (and erased some of the blue tape). I did not change positioning at all. You can see that they look much less heavy.

The original suggestion showed the frames extending to the outer edges of the nightstands (or maybe slightly beyond) and hung quite close together. Duplicating that exactly would require custom frames that are wider than 24 inches. (I think the difference in proportion is due to shorter width, not taller height.) I think it could be fine as is with off-the-shelf 18x24 frames, but you can decide whether you want to spring for longer ones. (If you do, measure the distance between the outer edges of the nightstands, subtract four inches for one-inch spaces between frames, and divide by five to get the new width of each frame.)

• judygilpin
    2 years ago

THE FIVE PICTURES OVER THE BED IS WAY, WAY, WAY TOO MUCH. THREE OF THAT SIZE IS EVEN OVERBOARD. TRY TWO. YOUR ROOM IS VERY PRETTY. DON'T OVERWHELM IT.

• Jilly
    2 years ago

I liked the stool you had at the end of the bed, it was unique and interesting, and a good size. The black iron balanced well with your lovely light and curtain rods. I wouldn’t do a long bench with the chair so close.

Your room is so beautiful and serene, as well as stylish, a lot of these suggestions will really take it in a chaotic and different direction. You’re getting bombarded with all kinds of advice based on our (strangers’) likes — get ideas, sure, but stay true to what YOU like.

I think it might help to forget about the bed wall for now and get art (no busy shelves) up on the other walls first. Go from there.

• lenachristina
    2 years ago

I would love to see what three over the bed would look like (not extending past the width of headboard) or perhaps two (but the frames would have to be wider,height is perfect). Perhaps you can mockup with the paper or simplynatural can help. Simplynatural's computer mockups are really helpful as are your paper mockups. I prefer fewer of the clear shelves between the windows. The fourth shelf was a bit much for me. My preference would be a piece of art, but if you have photos you want to display then the shelves solve that issue. Again, it is what resonates with you, not with us.

• J D
    2 years ago

I like the black bench too. It plays well with the shape of your chandelier. I’d get a second one of them if you can. But having only one of them is a bit strange and definitely disproportionate.

• J D
    2 years ago

I still like a single piece of art for over the bed but it’s up to you. I still love my agate resin wall sculpture haha (but I guess that’s just personal taste...it’s calm, unique, and beautiful to me!)

• simplynatural
    2 years ago

Katlea, I measured your paper mockups on my screen and I get a 4:5 ratio of height to width rather than a 3:4 which 18x24 frames are. That could be just the way the screen renders the photo, but maybe double check that they really are 18x24?

• simplynatural
    2 years ago

Last photo: Your mockups, moved slightly closer together, with a better cleanup job on my part. Thanks again for sharing your lovely room!

• katlea
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Simplynatural, thank you for all the time you’ve spent putting these mock ups together, they’ve helped so much! I’m still in the “try on” stage with considering options, but hoping to get my thoughts together & make a decision soon.

• katlea
    Original Author
    2 years ago

To everyone who took time to comment, offer suggestions, links & pictures-Thank You. As most projects are, this is a work in progress and I was stumped on what direction I needed to go but all the ideas given here have been a tremendous help!

• susanlynn2012
    2 years ago

katlea, thank you for letting us know that your wall color is BM Dove White and the trim is BM Simply White. I never would have thought the two whites would look so nice together and give that peaceful look. I love your bedroom just the way it is (or similar to the last picture but maybe one picture above the bed or two or three small pictures instead of five). You are giving me courage to post my bedroom for advice as I have been struggling on what do do with the wall color or paint my headboard or get a new headboard as well as when I have time to remove the old wall to wall carpet.

• katlea
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Susanlynn2012, You should definitely post pictures and get suggestions, there are so many helpful people here! My BR project started a year ago with removing the old carpet, which lead to paint, which lead to new furniture & rug, which has lead me to where I am now, trying to decide on art & accessories. So for me, it’s been a long time getting to this point, but I’m having fun with it!

• simplynatural
    2 years ago

One more thought, Katlea: If Asian art speaks to you, a Japanese scroll painting could go well between the windows. Their subtle colors and contemplative spirit would fit the peaceful atmosphere you're creating.

• katlea
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks for the suggestion, simplynatural. I hadn’t thought about that but will check into it. I like a little touch of vintage in every room and that wall may be a good place for something like that. I was also thinking about a pair of large botanicals. This picture caught my eye earlier today.

• simplynatural
    2 years ago

A pair of botanicals could work too. I would want them a little smaller than the photo, for a bit more white space around them, but the stacked arrangement relates well to the vertical space.