SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rachelanne_zamore

Need privacy landscaping input! (zone 5)

Rachel
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

We just took out a large hemlock that was too close to the house, but was providing much-needed screening from the second floor of the nearby house next door. We are planning to rebuild the fence (which is in bad shape and also got damaged when the tree was removed from that corner), but I want to grow a small tree or two and put in other landscaping that will help our backyard have more privacy. Given that we're not using the yard much in the winter, deciduous is okay, but I'm also open to a mix of deciduous and evergreen.

Ideally I'd love something fast-growing to 20-25', pretty year-round, with a layered branching canopy, and native to New England. And that will give us ample screening in the yard from the house next door (fortunately, we don't have upstairs windows on the north side of the house, and only 1 downstairs). This is probably an impossible combo to find, but I'd love to get any suggestions.

I had been thinking perhaps dogwood (Stellar Pink) as the primary tree for that corner, but am concerned it may not get large enough and the spot may be too sunny. I considered Eastern Redbud, but am reading that they don't last well. I thought about a river birch (Dura-Heat), but am reading that they drop a lot of branches and leaves, and may not hold up well under snow loads. Another idea I've had is Autumn Brilliance serviceberry. Does anyone have experience with that one? I'm sure there must be other good ideas for something that will work well in that corner, and relatively close to our house.

The area between the existing small birch (which is under a maple, see pic #2) to the fence corner is now in sun most of the day, at least in summer. The exposed length of the fence (which also had an overgrown viburnum until a few days ago) is at the north side of our property and just east of the house. So the house is creating some shade for that corner in the mid-late afternoon, or at least will be when it's not the height of summer. I am intending to do some layered underplanting, but want to get my tree(s) figured out first.

Any and all input would be much appreciated.Thanks in advance!

Comments (23)