SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print

After planting several varieties of orienpet and oriental lilies a few years ago, 'Miss Peculiar' has been the best performer for me, and has even multiplied. Fragrant downward nodding blooms:

I think it has to do with the early flowering, perhaps it gives the plant more time to recoup and build up strength before winter. Here is Miss Peculiar this year loaded with buds:

Another one which continues to do well is the yellow 'Outback':

Most of the others have grown weak and disappeared over the years.

For Asiatics, I believe this to be 'Chianti' or something similar. Some have reverted to orange or bulblets have grown up to be orange, I’m not sure. Even the pollen anthers are darker:

Time will tell if 'Miss Peculiar' will continue doing well. Which lilies are still doing well for you?

Comments (31)

• mazerolm_3a
    2 years ago

Love your Miss Peculiar! Apricot Fudge seems to like it here. It was my first lily, planted 3 years ago. I added 3 more varieties this year: Friso, Viva la vida and Montego Bay.

• L Clark (zone 4 WY)
    2 years ago

I planted star gazer and casa blanca this year

• Related Discussions

Hardy Lily Bulbs in pot--how to overwinter in zone 4?

Q

Comments (3)
    Orientals, asiatics, regals, aurelias, and martagons will all flower with the few frosts we get in z9a so sustained chill may not be required. It can be a real nuisance to have a late frost on the regals which knock back the buds and turn 'Christmas lilies' into great leaves, no buds. So long as your holding bed doesn't turn into a spring ephemeral swamp, I'd agree they're better in the ground. Just be aware that those basal roots start into action earlier than you might like. They will need deep-enough pots, perhaps six or more inches down. You can always pot on in spring - taking great care to guard the emerging shoots.
    ...See More

WANTED: Hardy cyclamen and Landini Asiatic lily

Q

Comments (0)
    I have plenty of plants and cuttings to offer. Please check out my profile.
    ...See More

Calla Lily hardiness

Q

Comments (1)
    I live in Clinton and I have white mostly but a pink and yellow too. I never dig them up except to divide them. The cold winter may have affected them a little since I didn't have as many but I think it was becuase I divided them and removed a lot of the crowded plants.
    ...See More

Couple hardy water lily questions

Q

Comments (5)
    Looks like I'm having a conversation with myself. lol. The hardy lily I'm talking about that is at the bottom of the 300 gallon in-ground stock tank is in a 7 gallon pot.....just like the one in the above picture. When we cleaned out the tank about a month ago, the lily pot had a big layer of algae on it. I removed the algae and fertilized it. I didn't notice this at the time, but when I went out today to see if anything had poked up (it hadn't), I noticed that when I poked it with a stick.....the entire top of the pot was hard. I haven't a clue how this happened.....unless it had something to do with the algae being on it over the winter. So.....I broke up that hard-pack on top and hopefully it will start to grow. Otherwise, I'll get a new lily.
    ...See More
  • prairie_northrose (3b north of Calgary AB, Canada)
    Original Author
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Miss Peculiar is mostly opened up now:

Mazerolm, I looked up Apricot Fudge, what very interesting bloom shape for a lily! I’ve never seen anything like that before for a lily.

L Clark, my Stargazer and Casablanca lilies gave all faded out, although their fragrance was one of the best. I am tempeted to try them in pots instead one day.

• L Clark (zone 4 WY)
    2 years ago

Holy moly, those are wonderful. Can't wait til mine mature. Yours are gigantic!

• prairie_northrose (3b north of Calgary AB, Canada)
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I think it must be the genetics, I’m noticing some lilies just don’t grow as tall no matter what.

I’m really surprised Casa Blanca didn’t make it longer, it seems so robust for some. And the bright pink Tabledance had stunning blooms in the beginning, but again has mostly faded away. Also fading are Northern Carillon and Northern Sensation, although this is likely my fault for accidentally snapping off the growth point last year or the year before.

Beverly Anne (or is it Beverly Dreams?) is still going strong. The leaves feel thick like an asiatic lily to me.

Been enjoying cut lilies indoors, with the heat they blast quickly outside. The cost of the bulbs has been comparable to the cost of bouquets, but results in nicer variety. Key is to cut them at a bud stage to avoid bringing thrips inside. Still gotta check though, a few somehow burrow in there, drawn to the pollen anthers.

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    2 years ago

Hello Everyone. I am gardening in zone 6b on the East Coast. Miss Peculiar is really lovely!! Seeing pictures of lilies actually growing in gardens is far superior than some of the photos that are used to sell them. Your pictures of Miss Peculiar say it all!! I'll look for one next season for sure!

I am new to lilies, as I ordered a few for planting last fall not knowing what to expect, but just falling in love with some of the lovely pictures. Now I am hooked!

Here is oriental Lily Dizzy that bloomed for me this summer with a sweet not overpowering fragrance. A real show stopper in the garden.

And here is an OT lily, Flavia! I bought 3 small bulbs from EBay and look at the results!! My husband really loved this one too! The colors are really true on this gorgeous lily.

My lilies were all free standing until a deer found one and quickly chomped off all the buds so we then had to "cage" in the rest. The cages do detract somewhat to the beauty of these lovely plants but it's either that or I can't grow them.

I have pictures of about 15 different varieties but I'll only bore you with one more, Table Dance which we found at a nursery and enjoyed for weeks on our deck before planting in the earth.

Donna☺

• mazerolm_3a
    2 years ago

Donna these are beautiful!!

2 years ago

Thank you!!

I have a few more😅

OT Debby which surprised me with its sort or tangerine and brick coloring. In certain views it's pretty and in some it's rather gaudy but it catches your eye for sure. Not as striking as Flavia though.

And then there's Anastasia which is is medium to soft pink which is really gorgeous especially when picked and brought in the house!

This is Scheherazade. This one was stunning! I was just amazed!!

All 3 of the above I ordered from K Van Bourgondien last fall! When they arrived they still had fairly plump roots on them even though I think that these came all the way from the Netherlands and Hubby got them in the ground for me and then I forgot about them! Such joy this summer!!

Thanks for looking!!

Donna

• mazerolm_3a
    2 years ago

Donna these are just gorgeous! I want to plant more lilies in my garden, mostly asiatics because I noticed that they bloom at a time when not much else is blooming in my garden. Here are Viva la vida and Montego Bay:

2 years ago

Viva la Vida is beautiful! I've read that this is one one of the nearly scentless lilies for those who nose is offended by the fragrance of many lilies! 😆 Is it?

And, I love the graceful dancing petals on Montego Bay; they appears to be floating in the air, how lovely!!

Here is Conca d'Or another nursery find. Just a little over 2 ft so I assume that next year it will be taller.

Donna

• mazerolm_3a
    2 years ago

Thanks Donna, I really went outside of my comfort zone with Viva la vida, because I'm usually more into cool colors. But I'm glad I planted it! I did not notice a scent, but I did not either get super close to it.

I love the soft yellow of Conca d'Or, what a great find! Do you have double lilies? I want to add a lot more lilies next year, but I don't know whether to go with single or double ones.

2 years ago

Hi,

I have another nursery find; Roselily Sita. I just had the picture to go by but as it was loaded with buds I couldn't just leave it there and there were only a couple.

I know many people don't like double flowers but this one is drop dead gorgeous!!

Sorry for the 3 pictures, I tried to take one off but couldn't figure out how.

Everyone who made it to my deck and saw this one said "oooh what is that one"? With a sweet fragrance I would say it was one of my luckier nursery finds of the summer!! I ended up bringing most of them in the house to admire. It was difficult to pick just one flower due to the unusually short stems so I had to take stems with multiple flowers.

I never saw anyone selling this particular one on-line and didn't run into it in any other nursery. It's now planted outside and I don't know how it will do as I think that this might perform better in a pot (shade) on a deck.

The only other double I have is Dynamite. Another nursery find but I wasn't as pleased with this one as not all the flowers were double. Again, we eventually planted this one in the ground but I do think that the doubles (at least the two that I have) will do better in pots. We'll see next year.

Again you can't just pick one flower you get a whole bouquet with the short stems!

I have a few small lily orders in this year and none of them are doubles but when they present themselves at a nursery all green and budded up, I can hear them calling my name!!😂

Donna

• L Clark (zone 4 WY)
    2 years ago

Fantastic, Donna!

How long do they stay looking good?

• mazerolm_3a
    2 years ago

I agree with LClark, your lilies are beautiful, Donna!!

2 years ago

Thanks to you Both!!

The ones that I pick to bring in the house, I'd say last nearly two weeks but I didn't actually take note. The two doubles as I noted, were a stem picked with multiple flowers with some unopened buds. and I do remember the whole bouquet lasted quite a long time.

The others I'd say I got a good month of total blooming from them, maybe longer as of course they don't all open at once!!🙂

Here is another beautiful Oriental variety Salmon Star.

Unfortunately the fence detracts from it's beauty as I've got so many critters that want to feast on my lilies I guess I just have to live with the fences. This one was from B&B lilies.

Here is my one Martagon lily Guinea Gold. These come out early way before any of the others which is nice. I ordered a few more of these to plant this fall.😂

Donna

• mazerolm_3a
    2 years ago

Omg that Martagon lily is fantastic! I had considered adding lots of lilies (including martagons) this fall, but the selection was not too great, and I decided to go big with Darwin tulips and daffodils instead. Lilies will wait until next Spring! :)

2 years ago

I must admit that when this Guinea Gold first emerged I thought I had been sent the wrong thing! I really had no idea what a Martagon lily even was especially with their totally different foliage! I just ordered it from seeing the flowers! As they start to open in early June and bloom with the rhododendrons I was amazed! I hope I like the several other varieties that I ordered for this fall!

We have too many wonderful nurseries to choose from including several places that sell only lilies so I can't stop myself from ordering on-line! I'm sure it must be harder for you as I'm assuming you're in Canada.

I also love daffodils as nothing seems to touch them; they are just about foolproof and such colors and varieties to choose from and they make such glorious bouquets in the cold of early spring! Good luck with your Darwin tulips but as they are a favorite food of just about any rodent I learned my lesson many years ago and just stick with the narcissus/daffodils.

In one of my earlier posts I posted pictures of Roselily Sita saying I hadn't seen it offered anywhere else other than the nursery I bought it from this summer. I was just checking B&Blilies and they have a new offering that they are calling "Andromeda" that is the spitting image of Roselily Sita take a look and see what you think. They also have a listing they are calling "Pink Snowflake" but say that in Holland it is registered as Zambesi. (which I found a pot of at a nursery also this summer.. labeled Zambesi).

I am confused as to why a flower that already had a name can be called or sold by a different name.

Donna

https://www.bdlilies.com/l7005.html

At least if I decide I 'd like another I'll know where to buy it as they do offer great lilies!

• mazerolm_3a
    2 years ago

Hi Donna,

Yes, I’m in Canada! And you’re correct, we don’t have a whole lot of online sellers.

I had a look at BD lilies, wow, so many beauties!! I did look at the lilies you mentioned, and yes, they look exactly alike. I’m in the same boat, I have no idea why one variety can be sold under 2 different names.

Have you ever seen lily Mystery Dream? I just saw it on a grower’s web site I ordered from a couple of years ago. I’m not usually fond of green flowers, but I love that one!

Tulips: I’m very lucky in that regard, we have no deers and rabbits rarely come over. When they do, I spread bone meal and blood meal around the young shoots and it's worked very well so far. I do love daffodils too, they're so cheerful! :)

2 years ago

Hi,

I'm sure you already know this but the Lily Nook https://www.thelilynook.com/O-x-T-Hybrids_c_20.html is located in Canada. There were a few varieties that I thought about ordering but one was out of stock and I just didn't dare to deal with customs and inspections and the long trip for live plants to the East Coast of the U. S. with mail service that sometimes doesn't work at all so, I didn't order anything. When and if things ever return to normal I might give them a try though but for now I'll just stick to this country!!😂 Have you ever ordered from them?

I looked up Mystery Dream and it certainly is green! It looks like it holds its color well unlike some others I've seen online with some green in them and then looking up the flowers individually to see what they really look like, the green disappears!

I had a double green amaryllis once that was really green and gorgeous but I couldn't keep it alive!

In early August I ordered several bulbs from Etsy and one of them managed to grow enough (being planted so late) to give me a big fat bud which should open in a few days.

Here is Eastern Moon a trumpet It should be a soft pink inside....I have a Leichtlinii also but it will be a few weeks before those buds blooms. I ordered a few others but none of them will flower this year so hopefully next year if we have a really long warm fall for them to bulk up!

Donna

• mazerolm_3a
    2 years ago

Hi Donna, yes, I have ordered from Lily Nook and was very happy with my order.! They’re the ones who have Mystery Dream in their catalog, but it wasn’t available this fall. I’ll try again next Spring.

I’ve never tried amaryllis before, maybe next year. I’ve been so busy filling my garden beds that I haven’t taken the time to force bulbs indoors! Last year, I did fill 3 large planters with alliums, daffodils and tulips, but it was a real chore to take them outside at daytime then take them back in the garage for many weeks. Winters are just too long here to get thid done effortlessly! :)

I really must have a look at Etsy for plants and bulbs, sounds like a great source!

2 years ago

Just thought I'd add my last to bloom; leichtlinii purchased late in the summer again from Etsy. I am happy to have these flowers to end my first lily season!

No fragrance but a bright beautiful yellow tiger lily type.

Thanks for looking,

Donna🤗

• L Clark (zone 4 WY)
    2 years ago

This is my only lily. no id asiatic.

Next year hopefully i’ll have many more to share

• L Clark (zone 4 WY)
    2 years ago

I lied. got a surprise. Wasn’t expecting anything this year. Decided to bloom

• mazerolm_3a
    2 years ago

@LClark: love the colors! is it Stargazer?

• L Clark (zone 4 WY)
    2 years ago

Yes, I believe it is Stargazer. I ordered Casa Blanca and Star Gazer and they threw in some freebie variety as well that I forgot what it is.

This one looks a little malformed. The other bud looks better lol

• Marcia Pilipishen
    2 years ago

I'm having lily envy! Most of mine froze in the unusual spring we had and the rest were eaten by rabbits. Who knew lily leaves were like salad?!

• mazerolm_3a
    2 years ago

@Marcia: most of my Apricot Fudge froze too, and I only got 2 bloom stalks out of 3 mature plants. Hopefully next year will be better!

• L Clark (zone 4 WY)
    2 years ago

One more! Casa Blanca among other flowers. glad, pink prace rose, pope john paul rose, and geranium

2 years ago

Hi L Clark,

I think that your Casa Blanca may actually be Muscadette. Here's a picture of Muscadette (the one on the top). What do you think?

Casa Blanca is actually totally white.

Your roses are stunning!! I can almost smell their fragrance from your photo!!😉

Donna

• L Clark (zone 4 WY)
    2 years ago

Oh, yeah. You’re totally correct. It’s got to be muscadette. Holland bulbs sent me some freebies and this MUST be one of them. Thanks for the ID!

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor