SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
prairiemoon2

Potato Problems

prairiemoon2 z6b MA
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

I'm inexperienced with potatoes. Two years ago I tried them for the first time in a pot and that worked out and they were easy, this year I decided to try them in the vegetable garden. So most of them have not even flowered but in one patch there were two flowers open and I thought I would try digging one plant to see what was going on. Here is a photo of the potatoes I found, which were right under the top of the soil up against the trunk of the plant. I haven't looked really deeply to see if there are more, but it was just these two up near the top. It seemed to me there were some pink spots on them. I had heard that if the sun hits them they turn green and that is bad, but I haven't heard anything about pink. Also I brought them right in and rinsed them off before taking a photo and the skin is very thin and you barely touch them and it comes away. Is this normal? Are they edible?

There'sa pink spot about midway up and on the bottom of it. The other potato is about the same. They're a good size, bigger than I expected.

Here is the plant I dug them from after I just pushed the soil back around it and left it there. This plant was not flowering

But in a different bed I had 4 rows of potatoes and the foliage is not looking right. I don't know if this is normally how it looks as it becomes time to dig them up or if because of all the rain, there is some foliar problem with them and whether the potatoes would be suspect. They are growing in raised beds so they soil drains well and dries out fast after a rain, but of course the foliage keeps getting wet. I haven't tried to dig these up yet....

Comments (9)