SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
idabean2

Young clems died to ground. Now what?

Marie Tulin
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Zone 6a. Boston suburbs.

One was Tie Dye and it was vigorous in a 2 gallon pot when I planted it. Plenty of compost, big hole adequate water last year (first year here in ground) This year it was quite late coming up and the rabbits kept eating. Finally, it threw several more leaves which died back and now it is no where to be seen.

I have another NOID, probably in too much shade but I watched it fade from 4 " to nothing over the last few weeks.

I want to know what's going on. Can I carefully remove the top soil and see if they are alive or rotted?

Should I continue monthly feedings? I don't mind giving them another year and waiting to see what happens next spring even though NO Show Tie Dye leaves a the arbor bare- hardly a riveting garden feature.

It seems the best I can hope for is a vigorous root system and a plant that will take off next year. But with no leaves and no photosynthesis going on, how can it grow?

I'm no clem expert, but I do have several others that are doing fine.

It;s been hard weather out there: terrible heat for a week in late May early June;

and more rain in the last two weeks than in previous two summers. Besides the relentless rabbit browse, I can't think of any thing I may have done to them!

Thanks for any and all answers, including criticism.

Marie

Comments (6)