SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
anna_beth_gw

young clems damaged by a dog - how to protect them?

anna_beth
17 years ago

Again !! the dog sneaked around the temporary fence I put up around my clematis plants (and the entire flower bed in fact) and dug around the waking clems. I found the young plants - planted last summer - broken off at the very base, some lucky ones with ca. 7" of the stem left above the ground. Will they recover? Any ideas how I should protect them from the dog? The temporary fence I have now is apparently inadequate and rather unsightly - several sticks joined with two PVC clothes lines, one above the other. I was hoping the dog would "get it"/be conditioned not to go near there and after a while I'd be able to remove it altogether but alas.. he's not that understanding of my gardening objectives. I am now thinking about insering thick wooden sticks/supports in the soil at an angle of ca. 45 degrees well in front of the clems, and threading their other ends through the fencing they are planted at but I am not sure if this will make it impossible for him to do his thing, i.e. pee there and then dig to cover the spot, tearing the clems to pieces.

I'm rather sick at the thought of having to buy new clems and replant, even though I would have the soil already amended from last year, LOL.. I do not intend to have hours of my work go to waste because a dog cannot bear leaving those spots unmarked. Moreover, I do not want my front garden to look like a dog's bathroom. I do not think any chemical repellent would work in his case, he is a real macho, even though a quiet, elderly dog. A clever and reasonably good looking physical barrier is needed. I will appreciate any advice :-)

Comments (17)

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor