SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
psyohe

Oreck Orbiter and Old black marble floor

Peke
2 years ago

I bought an Oreck Orbiter for my carpets and wood floors, but I thought I would try using it for my marble bathroom floors. Previous owners had about 30 + years of that nasty Mop n Glo on it. It was cracked and looked horrible. Makers of Mop n Glo said it has to be removed every few years and I tried everything they said to use. Some products were NOT meant to be used on marble, but neither was Mop n Glo. So I tried ammonia, hydrogen peroxide, Totally Awesome Cleaner, a paste made of baking soda and vinegar and water and many cleaning products for marble. Nothing penetrated that many years of Mop n Glo. I used the Oreck and got on my hands and knees with scrub brushes.I did not want to try floor stripper on the marble. I finally (very carefully) used a 4" razor blade. Success! I was very careful though so I would not gouge the marble.
Once the Mop n Glow was gone, I used Oreck Scrub brushes to clean the grout and tile. Then I used Tenax Polishing Powder with the Oreck green pad, stone (beige) pad, white pad, and the lamb's wool pad.
I am happy with the result even though I know it is not perfect. I still have the 2 rows by the door (bottom of the picture) to finish before I put a sealer on it. It probably hasn't looked this shiny in years. I will clean the grout one more time before I seal it.
Questions:
For sealer, what do you recommend for the marble?
Can it also be used for grout or do I need a grout sealer? I have a Lowe's 30 minutes from my home.
Do I seal the marble first? Then clean the grout and seal it? Thanks.

Comment (1)