SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
myrealnameismama_goose

Black marble in a vintage kitchen

Hi, I just joined gardenweb, and I've been enjoying reading all the q&a, and viewing all the beautiful finished and 'in progress' kitchens. I'm also fairly new to internet use, and my head is spinning with all the info available.

We own a home built in the 1920's, and I'd like to give my 13x13 kitchen a vintage look. I currently have off-white painted cabinets which I will keep, and laminate countertops which I need to replace. I love the look of soapstone, but unfortunately it's way outside my budget. I'm considering black marble tile for the counters, with a carrera slab for a free-standing baking center. I am repurposing a small (30x30) vintage carrera slab that I already own, for the baking center, and I have 12x12 'New St.Laurent' tiles for the counter. I've searched on 'marble' and found some beautiful kitchens with carrera/soapstone, and carrera/black granite, but no black marble.

Is there a reason that black marble isn't used often in kitchens? Does anyone have pictures of kitchens with black marble counters and/or backsplashes?

I've read all about sealing and etching on the marble forums, and I've even been using a couple of sealed sample tiles beside the stove and sink to make sure that I can live with the 'patina.' So far, no problems.

I'd also like to re-use another carrera slab (former coffee table top) to make open shelves. It is 54x18, ap. an inch thick, and will be cut in half length-wise to make two shelves. Does anyone have advice for mounting marble shelves? My DH can't wait to get started--NOT!

Thank you all for any information you can provide.

Comments (21)