SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chisue

Why PT for Spinal Stenosis?

chisue
2 years ago

I've just had a consult with a neurosurgeon who focuses on this area. He had my MRI from May and two xrays he'd ordered -- full spine and lumbar focus.

I was aghast at the condition of my 80 year old bones, weakened by 40 years of steroids for asthma and by five years of multiple myeloma and three years of treatment for the MM. I was also amazed to see considerable scoliosis.

I'd been interested in what I'd read about minimally invasive surgery to aid stenosis. He was totally against these 'spreaders'. He said he is taking them OUT of people's backs every week.

I'd hoped he would recommend surgery to help me, but he sent me home with an order for PT.

I've looked at this type of exercise online and do not see how they can possibly do more than briefly relieve the pain of stenosis crushing nerves in my lumbar and sacral regions. I can't help feeling that this was recommended because my bones are too weak for surgery.

Has anyone had experience with treatment for spinal stenosis? Did PT help enough to avoid surgery? Did surgery help? What surgery did you have and when?

Thanks, KT friends!

Comments (25)