SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
3katz4me

How is your US mail service these days?

3katz4me
2 years ago

Mine seems to be worse every week. I pay all my bills through my bank's bill pay service and many are electronic but in some cases they mail a check. Sometimes the checks never arrive or it takes two weeks or more for them to get there. This never used to happen - ever. A couple days ago my neighbor brought over some of my mail that was in his slot. That has never happened to me at my current address during the six years I've lived here. DH returned a prepaid USPS package to the vendor - a month later no credit. The vendor found the USPS had marked it as return to sender in their system even though the package actually arrived. Almost every week I have some kind of postal service problem. I truly try to avoid using the US Mail but sometimes It's unavoidable.

Comments (35)

• Bunny
    2 years ago

Mine seems fine. Occasionally I'll get something in my mailbox for a neighbor and I take it over to their mailbox. Maybe something similar happens at their end and I don't realize it. Most of the stuff wrongly delivered to me seems to be junk mail.

• bbstx
    2 years ago

Mine is awful. I went to the beach with DD for 2 weeks. We’ve successfully used ”Hold Mail” a million times. This time a neighbor who knew I was out of town checked my mailbox after about a week and a half. It was stuffed full! When I extended my stay at the beach, I extended the ”hold mail” order. They still kept delivering the mail. Thank goodness I’ve got good neighbors!

DSS had to send paper work to the estate attorney. Estate attorney sent the paperwork with a prepaid Priority Mail return envelope. They could track where DSS had put it back in the mail but then it disappeared. The attorney’s office opened a ”lost mail” claim. After a week or two the response from the PO was that it was lost and unrecoverable. DSS works for a major package delivery company. He sent a new document using his company. It arrived the next day.

Packages are the worst. I’ve told the story of buying the shoes from Nordstrom. It took no time for them to get from Nordstrom to my town where they sat in the PO for 2 weeks. Then they were shipped to another town and languished for 2 weeks. Then they were shipped back to my town where they sat a couple of days before eventually being delivered.

I put almost nothing in the mail any more. I had to send a document by registered mail last week to a bank that is a 2 hour drive from me. It is currently ”out for delivery.” That was the status yesterday, too. I’m beginning to think I should have just driven it over.

• Related Discussions

Should you mail / internet order your furniture?

Q

Comments (1)
    Thanks, Duane. I am considering buying a futon and frame through internet routes because while the closest dealer was very helpful and I would really like to give him my business, his selection didn't offer what I'm looking for. You too have been very helpful.
    ...See More

Question of the Day: Machine Service?

Q

Comments (42)
    Bobby~40 years later....I cherish the label fixed to my Pfaff 1222E & there is a label on my Featherweight that I try to keep intact. Not all labels are viewed as defacing a machine. I look at it as "history". Changing needles often is probably the most ignored maintenance task with many sewers. I applaud your repair guy for tossing that needle and replacing it with a needle he knows is the correct size to calibrate the machine. When you broke the needle, you may have caused the burr on the hook or vice versa. Whenever things are not right, the first thing I do is change the needle. Needles are cheap - change them often, use the right kind and size for the thread and fabric, toss them after you hear the clunk or see the stitch change, or with each new project. Use your coupons from Joanns and pick up a pack of Schmetz needles when you aren't buying fabric and they aren't on sale and you won't feel so bad when you toss a needle out. I use an empty McCormick spice bottle with a snap lid for my used needles. It sounds like you found a great tech to work on your machine!
    ...See More

The price of personal services these days.

Q

Comments (41)
    Essie that is the way I felt when I visited Africa, I tipped big. A child dressed in his traditional African costume expected a dollar tip for a photo, I gave him $2. until I found out how expensive things were there and what workers got paid. Then I tipped more. He probably made a big part of his family's food money. In this country the habit is becoming tip every one who serves, trash man, masseuse, cable man, postman, the list goes on and on. Anyone should be lucky enough to earn what a post man makes plus his benefits and I don't tip those people because they are being paid wages. Some of the places I eat know me as a regular customer and a couple put on what they know I like when I walk in the door, 3 places have done that. One place will say this is on the house this time. These employees get paid for their work just as if they worked in a book store or clerked in a dept store. Sure they are not living wages, but from my experience they are in temp jobs while they are out of school. I tip in restaurants how much depends on the service I get, especially when I am served with a smile. I do not usually tip in buffets, especially if they all they do is bring me water and ask if I want to order off the menu or have the buffet. This post was edited by EmmaR on Mon, Dec 9, 13 at 15:14
    ...See More

Veteran's Day: Heartfelt Thanks For Your Service!

Q

Comments (20)
    Just got back from Montgomery AL. We saw a huge number of cars outside of the Texas Roadhouse Grill so DH said let's stop for a late lunch. We waited in line for 10 min just to get on the wait list. We couldn't imagine what the deal was. When we got to the head of the line the hostess said it would be a 45 min. wait. We said OK and went outside to sit in the sun and eat peanuts and talk. We were listening to a couple next to us and realized why there were so many people waiting to eat. FREE dinner for every single service person current and past. Wow...I asked the hostess who is also the owner how many they had served when we got to our table. She said 300 !! Montgomery is home to Maxwell-Gunter AFB. The manager said they had also collected $10,000.00 in gift cards for military personnel. Pretty nice thing to do. c
    ...See More
  • sushipup1
    2 years ago

I gave my son a check for the grandson's 529 account in April. He mailed (only way the agency accepts deposits except payroll deduction) on 4/19. Two separate envelopes. Both still missing.

I also pay most bills thru my bank, but the bank mails checks to small businesses. So I pay a couple directly, mainly my Italian gardener. Mailed a check on 6/21, he just got it 7/12. An apparently his bill to me was totally lost in the mail. We've decided that he can drop off his bill and I'll pay him then.

I belong to a Christmas card list and I had several cards show up a full 4 months late.

And my Rx insurance company sends me junk mail and spam calls almost daily telling me that I should be getting my prescriptions by mail. Oh, really?

• jojoco
    2 years ago

My colleague in South Eastern PA sent a package to Chicago in January. It tracked through Guam. I think Postmaster general de Joy is abysmal.

• rubyclaire
    2 years ago

Ours seems back to normal.

• 4kids4us
    2 years ago

Ours seems reasonably back to normal although in the last week I got mail for two different people. One was a summons for jury duty! It was in a pink envelope with huge letters on it - you would think they might make sure something important like that was delivered correctly!

Dh’s elderly auntjlast week sent my oldest daughter, who graduated college in May, a graduation card. When it arrived, it had been opened. Inside, dh’s aunt had included a photo of my FIL holding my daughter when she was about 9 months old. It was such a beautiful gesture as my FIL passed away when my daughter was 20 months old. I actually went into labor with my son the night FIL went into hospital, he went into a coma and never met my son or younger two children. My daughter was his first grandchild and only one he ever met, so for dh’s aunt to send that photo and a couple others she had was so sweet. My dauhter called dh to tell him, mentioning the card had been opened. It turned out there was also a check for her that had suspiciously disappeared. I have heard of this happening - that greeting cards are often opened by people looking for cash or gift cards. First time it happened to us!

I just sent a Priority Mail box of a few items of clothing to the same daughter yesterday. She loves across the country. It will be interesting to see how long it takes. Normally I use UPS for packages, but since what I was sending fit in a flat rate box, it was cheaper via USPS.

• OutsidePlaying
    2 years ago

Ours is back to normal with no real complaints lately. However last Christmas was an abysmal year for Christmas cards. I found out many weeks and months after Christmas that some cards I sent never arrived and some arrived around February. All were out of state. Who knows if there were others. Makes me want to not even bother this year.

• maddielee
    2 years ago

Today we received a form from our Homeowners Ins. agent that he sent on June 21. His office is 3 miles away. Other then things being slow to arrive I don’t think we’ve had other problems. We really don’t send or receive too much mail via USPS anymore.

• User
    2 years ago

Mine is also horrible.

It used to be spotty around the holidays. We would go days with no deliveries but everything would eventually show up.

Now at least once a week the mail carrier never comes down our street, and at least once a week I never get something that shows up as delivered on informed delivery.

I despise the USPS and am using them as little as possible now.

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    2 years ago

Mine has been fine with one glitch a few months ago. I never rec'd a bank card bill, and it happened to be the one my Mom's prescription co-pays go onto every month. I didn't notice, so my fault there. The following month I got a bill showing no payment the month before, a late charge, and - the pharmacy her care facility orders from called and said my card was refusing charges. I was so embarrassed. Got it all straightened out, paid, and a couple of weeks later I got that bill. It was fresh, clean, undamaged so I have no idea where it had been for 6 or 7 weeks. I called the card company and said my mail carrier had just handed me the missing statement, they gave me a courtesy refund of the $45 late fee. And I now have an email alert set up on the bank card - I get one right before its due, and another when that months fees have been cleared.

• Arapaho-Rd
    2 years ago

Seems ok here. We lost our long-time carrier who was a gem. Looked out for people, noticed abnormalities. Now it's delivered by random carriers and the time of day varies.

• jojoco
    2 years ago

Should also add that I put in for a temporary change of address about ten days ago. Still hasn't kicked in.

• Fun2BHere
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I use informed delivery to track my packages. Within the last two weeks, I've had two packages that were delayed deliveries. Once they hit my state, they usually find their way to me, but cross country is an issue. I think I read that the postal service is doing away with their three-day delivery goal for all first class mail.

I have one postal carrier that is amazing. He always puts my packages on my doorstep. The others can't be bothered to even put it inside the gate right beside the mail box. I know that's not a requirement, but it sure is appreciated.

My neighbors and I usually put misdelivered mail into the correct mailbox.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    2 years ago

IDK, I barely use it inbound or outbound

• User
    2 years ago

I'd be thrilled if my stuff eventually showed up. I know they misdeliver stuff all the time because we do the great mail swap here too. However some of my stuff shows up as delivered on informed delivery...and nada. It's a sad joke, made worse considering just a few years ago they were fabulous.

Thank heavens for e-delivery and ACH transfers.

• 3katz4me
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Ugghh - I guess I need to see if there is another way to pay the few places that currently get checks mailed. A lot of service providers email their bills but I can think of at least one that sends by snail mail. That happens to be the piece of mail that went to my neighbor.

• bpath
    2 years ago

Kinda slow. A problem we’ve had for over 15 years is a house up the street has an 8 where we have a 3. We just walk the mail to the right box.

And recently, a bill from a local service came to my parents’ house THREE TIMES, With the same street number, somewhat similar street name, different town, and same zip code. Once I took it back to the the agent at the post office, once I wrote on the envelope, and finally I told the agent it had appeared in the wrong mailbox THREE TIMES and whie it was funny, it was clearly a bill for landscaping services and the landscaper certainly wante to be paid, and could she please ensure it got to the right destination? Well, she set it in a special basket for the supervisor who sorts the routes, and I haven’t seen the envelope since. I hope the landscaper has received his fee!

Then there was the Etsy gift I bought in December for a new grand-nephew. It started in a NY borough, bopped around Florida a few times, and eventually made its way to a small city in Ontario Canada before the baby outgrew it.

Just now I waited 2 weeks for a tax form that should have taken only 4 days.

• bbstx
    2 years ago

We have all our recurring bills (credit card and utilities) on automatic draft. I love it. If I want to go out of town, I don’t have to worry about whether or not the bills get paid.

• Springroz
    2 years ago

We have lived here almost 11 years. I STILL get mail for the PO’s and several other names! It seems to be important stuff, like the one today from the Dept. of Veterans Affairs…last week, a postal employee came to my door asking about a piece of mail that had a crazy, mixed up address (close to my road, but not quite, and a number that was not on the road, and a name I did not recognize).

• aok27502
    2 years ago

Spotty. I bought a travel insurance policy for DH, and opted to have the documents sent in the mail so he would have the official originals. That was June 4. They haven't arrived. I printed it out so he would have something.

Our little town is behind on technology, and still mails water bills. This month's hasn't shown up in informed delivery at our PO box. I'll have to go to the water department so they can look it up. I've taken to paying it in person because the bank sent a check and it was late.

Otherwise, our mailbox is for Amazon packages.

• Tina Marie
    2 years ago

Our is fine now. We went through a period of problems last year. I think it was mainly a new person in our little PO. Our main problem was with deliveries. We have a PO Box and I order quite frequently. Sometimes you do not know method of delivery so I always put PO Box and street address.

@aok27502 water bills are still mailed here too. I can go to website and look up my account and pay from there if needed.

• Bestyears
    2 years ago

We've had problems with our post office, (which is one of two stations in a city of 120,000) for years. So much so that there have been numerous popular NextDoor posts. The other station, much smaller than this one, and far less fancy, is terrific. Now, things at this station seem comically bad. This is a master-planned community, so the two-foot-high grass and weeds around the post office property really stand out. No matter what time of day you go in, there is never more than one person attending the six-station counter. It's very odd. A few people have apparently even tried to run this up the flagpole by talking to the appropriate people, but still nothing happens. Very odd.

• aok27502
    2 years ago

@Tina Marie that would be nice, but ours doesn't have online anything. There are two ways to get our bill, mail or have them print it. Welcome to 1990!😄

• User
    2 years ago

Aok - that's funny because I'm in the exact same boat with my municipal water bill. No online anything, your only choice is to receive a paper bill and then write a paper check. The sole redeeming factor is that if you don't pay one quarter they just roll it over to the next. No late fees, no phone calls, etc. So if you miss one bill you don't worry and just hope it shows up the next time around.

Apparently if you don't pay for a whole year then they add it to your taxes. Presumably our horrific local postal "service" (I use that term very loosely here) can manage to deliver at least 1/4 bills correctly.

• woodrose
    2 years ago

My mail service is okay. We live in a rural area and sometimes we get mail for the church next door, or they get ours. We get all of our bills ( unfortunately), packages, etc. I pay all of my regular, monthly bills online, so no problem there. I only have three complaints 1. They leave my mailbox door open when it's raining (grrr !) , 2. They often don't pick up mail I leave in the mailbox, 3. They shove packages in the mailbox that shouldn't be left there, so they don't have to get out of their vehicle and walk to my front stoop. That's how I lost two rose bands, when the box plainly stated, " Fragile. Do not expose to hot or cold temps". This was on a freezing cold day with high winds.

I suppose there will always be problems with mail delivery, but I don't remember it being this bad when I was growing up.. I think there are too many people who don't care about their jobs, and just basically go through the motions to get a check.

• Lars
    2 years ago

I have "Informed Delivery," and so I know what is supposed to be delivered to my mailbox.

I feel like Kramer from Seinfeld in that I would like to prohibit all junk mail from being delivered, as it fills up my mailbox when I am away. I do have a feeling that the mailman stops delivering junk mail when the box is full.

I've had neighbors hand deliver packages to me that were delivered to the wrong box, and I've delivered mail to someone across the street when his mail was put in my box, but if I am away for four or five weeks at a time, there can be quite a delay.

My brother has "Informed Delivery" for our L.A. address, and so he was aware that a jury summons was supposed to be delivered to him the day after we left for Cathedral City, where we stayed for five weeks. When we returned to L.A., the summons was not with our accumulated mail that we picked up at the post office, and so it is possible that the post office returned it to the county, since they knew that our mail was being held for five weeks.

Then on our last trip, Kevin got another "informed delivery" message that a notice of "failure to respond to jury summons" was scheduled to be delivered, but he never received that either, possibly because the post office again knew that our mail was being held for two weeks.

Kevin was worried about these summons, but I told him that the county has no proof that these summons were ever delivered and certainly not that he had received them, since he had not, and so the county could not prosecute him for failure to respond. There are lots of people in the movie industry here who are away for weeks or months at a time who would not be able to respond to jury summons, and so I think the county is used to people not showing up. When I went for jury duty here (at the Inglewood courthouse), I noticed that almost half of the people on the roll call were not present.

• Zalco/bring back Sophie!
    2 years ago

I am amazed the mail works at all. Looking forward to receiving printed invitations again. Some of my children need their passports renewed this year, and that is a post office deal. Otherwise, nothing comes in the mail, unless it's from Amazon.

• DLM2000-GW
    2 years ago

Our delivery is fine AFAIK - if something is missing I'm not aware because it's the rare item I know is being mailed to me and those few seem to arrive ok. We have to get our elec bill snail mail because it's hand generated from Duke Energy but it comes every month. I pay most things through our bank but our internet payments were consistently late. Talking with the bank was no help but the internet provider told me that all their customers with that bank have the same issue so now I take a physical check to their drop box each month. Can anyone tell me at what point all this free time and easier life from automation is going to start? Hasn't happened yet at least for me!

• Springroz
    2 years ago

@woodrose my DH has a distinct memory of going to a family reunion where, being taught to attempt coversation, he asked an older male relative what he did for a living. He was shocked by the answer…”Not a D@MN thing! I work for the PO, and I am just WAITING until I can retire.” This was at least 50 years ago. LOL. The more things change….

• nini804
    2 years ago

All i know is that when I order stuff and they use UPS or FedEx, it always seems to come a week sooner than packages that come USPS. 🙄 And we get our neighbors’ mail frequently. 🙄

• always1stepbehind
    2 years ago

TERRIBLE!! So many checks never received that we've sent out from our office. And it's not like later they call and say "oh that check finally made it"...so we have no idea where they go!!

• woodrose
    2 years ago

Springroz, That's just what I thought they were doing ..ROFL !

Lars, it seems like all we get is junk mail and bills. I almost get exited when I find something different in the box. How sad is that ?

• sushipup1
    2 years ago

When you get to be a certain age, the junk mail becomes retirement homes and hearing aids and Medicare Advantage programs. And about those hearing aid mailings... is anyone fooled by the fake handwriting font and no return address on a plain envelope?

• OllieJane
    2 years ago

We get Informed Delivery also and I actually think our USPS has always been fine, other than the postal workers always have seemed grumpy to me. I kept hearing things about it last year but didnt see any difference in ours.

• Bunny
    2 years ago

is anyone fooled by the fake handwriting font

Just compare the same letter in various places. Are they identical? Fake.

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm