SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dbarronoss

July 2021 Week 2

dbarron
2 years ago

Well, I know this is old news (like 3 weeks), but you do realize that over 1/2 of 2021 is now behind us?

We got a slight rain and much appreciated coolness for the next two days last night. I hope more arrives, because it was slight.

I am wondering if I want to uhaul and haul furniture/appliances today or wait (original plan) for tomorrow. Close is scheduled for Wednesday, though I haven't heard from the agency to confirm that.

I was thinking to go over today anyway, because I thought I had given a set of drawers to someone on FB, however, I didn't hear from her since first day (and asked her to let me know yesterday when, so I can plan my day today)...so I'm assuming it's yet another ghosted responder. I didn't manage to sell OR give away any furniture (2 recliners, couch, 2 beds, washer). I guess I will end up having to uhaul it to GoodWill (since noone will fetch it either). I guess I really should have junked it in the dumpster, as much as I hated to junk good stuff. No one wants it :(

Comments (64)

• dbarron
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I'm glad your chicks arrived safely. I remember when my grandmother used to get a call from the local postmaster, 'Velma, a box arrived and it's peeping!'. I'm not sure these days I'd trust the post office with living cargo (well that doesn't have roots at least).

Well, I had to call and harass everyone yesterday because today is suppossed to be our close date. The title company had never called (I consider their dropped ball). The buyer couldn't make my 8:30 proposed close date, so she called, and we decided on 2:00 pm instead. She wants a walk through (which I expected we'd do one anyway), her big concern is what I left. I did leave a gun cabinet (too tired to mess with) and have to the lawnmower and deep freeze out today (the lady that took other stuff wanted anyway). The problem is...Dad's wife wanted the deep freeze, but never took it. So..I'm giving it away to clear the house. I may have to take gun cabinet out and break into pieces to fit into car to haul away.

Will be SO glad to have done with it all. I'd like to visit Dad today, but I think it's going to be another too full day (with dogs waiting). I plan on going over about 10, so that the lady can get lawnmower and deep freeze. Then I hope to take her and her kids to lunch (she really thinks I don't have to..but I want to). Then 1 for the walk through with buyer (who should be happy I think?). Then 2 for the close. Then off to the bank (and worry about tax season next year...I understand inheritance tax is high?). Then the dogs are bursting...but it's OVER!

The long range forecast (not very accurate, right?) says for me there's some more 90s in August, but that I'm mostly in the 80s now. I don't believe it. However, that would make me happier. Time will tell. You folks out OKC way, what are your long ranges looking like ?

• hazelinok
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Sorry. Posted the one pic twice. What is this tree?

• Related Discussions

January 2021 Week 2

Q

Comments (56)
    Nancy, our washer might be the same model as yours. It was the cheapest Whirlpool they had. It was $499. It is even less fancy than the one we purchased 10 years ago....and that one wasn't top-of-the line or anything like that. With this one, it is hard to get used to no time count-down. I don't know how many minutes are left and that isn't a huge deal, but something I had gotten used to. And you just put your soap in the tub of the washer. Our last one had a dispenser (similar to the bleach dispenser). I don't mind putting it in the basin, but I wish it would let me fill it up with water before adding the clothing. But, so far so good with it. I will admit the champagne set is very pretty. It's very mild colored and lovely. But, when I do upgrade (hopefully not for a long time), I'll just get white. Even our "stainless steel" kitchen appliances that are supposed to be smudge proof, still get smudged. We did our grocery shopping this morning. Geez! All of you who are doing grocery "pick up", well, they're not picking up the items from storage...they're going through the stores with these big cart things with large tubs on them. There's multiple ones always in the way...blocking the aisles and shelves. They are doing a good job picking out your items. They carefully inspect each item before putting it in your tub. Those of us standing around waiting just have to be very patient. LOL I might have to start shopping at Crest, though. haha. We start at Natural Grocer, go to Sprouts and then finish at Walmart. We might start finishing at Crest. Nancy, I would be happy to take a few guajillo seeds. You know what's funny, until I made the posole I had never heard of that pepper. It's an interesting dish for sure. Instead of tomatoes, you make a pepper sauce/paste (for those of you who are unfamiliar with the dish). Very interesting about the pee/poop thing. The boys like to pee outside, so I guess I'll just direct them to the garden. And, Amy, that's good to know about medications. I'm dumping the chicken droppings behind the shop, but will probably stop in February so it can break down a bit before I put the roselle and melons there. If I ever get a grandchild, I'll have an excuse to get bunnies to be "their" pets...and that will be great for fertilizing. Maybe a pony too! (I'm joking...no one lecture me, please haha) Danny, how exciting! Pretty! Jen, I still have seed cups and trays if you're interested. Our plan is to clean and organize the shop on Monday, so I can get them to you once I find them all. I'm not sure how I ended up with so many. Maybe HU brought plants over in them. Amy, you have a lot of experience with lettuce and greens. Have you found that red lettuces do better in cold weather? It seems so...at least in my hinged hoop right now. This is the first year I've been able to overwinter lettuce and the reds are looking the best. The reds and the blushing ones.
    ...See More

April 2021 Week 2

Q

Comments (99)
    No worries, Amy, it's okay if you rant at the internet or me even. haha! Maybe Epsom salt is less expensive? I try not to concern myself too much with what other people are doing if it's working for them. This guy was very clear with his talk about how garden soil has enough calcium, but it's a watering issue and the plants inability to take in the mineral. He said "it's the only time I ever use Epsom in the garden"...referring to container tomatoes and lacking nutrients in the container potting mix. My plants made it through the insane wind. We didn't get a drop of rain and we could use some pretty badly. It's possible we'll put out the SG tomatoes tomorrow. After that, I'll know exactly what I have to share. I suspect no one here will need them. We all have too many already. The first of the red periwinkles have blossoms now. They look pretty red! My Mom will be pleased. I woke up to sadness. Tom got up before me, showered and went for donuts. I got up and did my usual thing...go to the utility room, turn on the turtle light and feed her. Checked the dogs water (and noticed a struggling crane fly and pulled it out of the water bowl so it could live), scooped up a bowl of food for Kane. I always feed him first. Looked over to him and he was just lying there. Josi was being very quiet and still. He died last night/early this morning. Tom said he heard him bark once around 5 am. And not again. (sometimes if they hear something outside, they'll bark) He was fine last night. I took him out around 11. He ate and drank yesterday. Had a treat when he came in at 11. I'm so confused about what happened. Maybe a heart attack? He was 11. My daughter and her husband are about to put their house up for sale, so we went to their house to help them with a few things today. The peppers have outgrown their stunted state and are looking good. I should have plenty now. Phew!
    ...See More

July 2021 Week 4

Q

Comments (52)
    Not much on the house hunting yet. I took yesterday & today off to get some cleaning/organizing/packing/detrashing done. I can't really get anything accomplished on weeknights because as soon as I start I have to fix dinner. Then after dinner I start & then have to get ready for bed. Saturdays weve been busy with meet & greets or dealing with new dogs, Sun is church & groceries. So 2 days of mostly uninterrupted cleaning should help me get some headway. Our bedroom is mostly clear of clutter, garage is organized to start stacking boxes, next is the cat room closet. Once that's done I'll start on the living room & then kitchen. Then we can get photos taken & get this place on the market.
    ...See More

November Week 2 2021: Thinking about Turkeys and Hams and stuff

Q

Comments (47)
    Well, it's just prior to the changing of the week...and I've been cold pretty much all day. But the house is the same temperature on the thermostat, so it's just me probably. Next week this time, I'm sure I'll be soundly asleep after a trip to Wagoner. Larry, any chance you could re-consider, it's not as long a trip for you as for me? And a final set of images from Thursday's hike on the upper area of Wilson Lake. Always nice to remind everyone I have two dogs (including me). They clambered over and (in Rag's case) under the rocks like ground squirrels. Sure hard to believe we're mid November and 2021 is in it's final six weeks.
    ...See More
  • hazelinok
    2 years ago

The chick introduction was only half successful. And I am tired.

Three are back in the brooder. Three are with their Mommas.

Stormy --a proven momma hen--had a really difficult time last night. She kept them warm finally around midnight, but when I checked at 6, they had slipped out from under her and were cold. She couldn't get them back under her. She was supposed to only have 2 chicks, but Eve couldn't handle the move to the brooder, so Stormy was given Eve's chick. Then, Lilith couldn't handle the move either and her chick was given to Dolly. So, Stormy ended up with 3...and it was not a success.

Eve and Lilith have only been broody for less than 2 weeks and that might be their problem.

Stormy tried.

We will try one chick with Stormy night. One more with Dolly Parton--who is so calm and doing a great job so far. And one more with Peg. I put an egg back under Dolly and Peg and will remove it when I put the chick in tonight.

Fingers crossed that they can all do this. I don't want to raise the chicks myself.

Acquaintance and her granddaughter are on their way over to pick veggies and gather eggs. I hope they enjoy it. I wish the gardens--including the flowers--looked better. Oh well.

• dbarron
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Bald cypress or dawn redwood I think.

• Nancy Waggoner
    2 years ago

I vote bald cypress. They're awesome trees.

I have turned into the laziest woman in Wagoner Cty, at least--if not the entire state of OK. I was up at 3 am and started a post here but managed to delete it later when I got up again.

I loved seeing the picture of the hatched chick, Jennifer.. I have a big old long conversation about seeing all the cars below. . . not sure I have the energy to type it out.

The tomatoes you harvested are gogeous, Larry. I wasn't sure about the neighbor's produce stand and have been wondering about that ever since someone (HJ, I think) commented on it. So the produce stand is right there on the edge of his property? So the road has enough traffice to support one there? How are the container plants on your deck doing?

AND, Jen--losing a person's pet entrusted to my care--THAT is the stuff of nightmares!

Well, I suppose by the time I finish writing this, you will have completed the closing, Danny, trusting the bad title company had things under control? Hoping for the best. Did you really break up the gun cabinet to haul away? Is Jasper growing by leaps and bounds? You need to post another picture.

AND, Jennifer, I suppose you should write to Patrick Steward to let him know his TV namesake's birthday is the same day as his. (LOL--that was so funny!) By the way, have any of watched the any of the new series (Picard) yet? I haven't. But will soon.

Now back to being up high and seein all the little cars below, all with people and their own separate lives. . . I have thought about this so very many times. In Mpls, at one point I worked on the top floor of 51-story IDS Center. (Interesting that Wikipedia says it had 57 stories. . . . not sure what they used to get that. . .) . In the winter it was dark by 4:30 pm and many of us worked until well after that. It was quite something to look down on the streets below, seeing all the cars and buses transporting all those individual lives. Also, my first experiences watching traffic far below was in NYC on visits to my son. As I read your words, I was immediately transported back do those experiences of Mpls and NYC. Having said that, I never enjoyed the realization that on the streets way down there were all these separate lives with their own stories. It brought on a feeling of real loneliness, and I rarely feel lonely. It was the idea that we are like an enormous ant colony and each so insignificant.

To further that notion, did some of you enjoy watching Parts Unknown with Anthony Bourdain? I thought it was a stellar show, and though I didn't like Bourdain--at ALL--back when he wrote Kitchen Confidential (WAY too crude and vulgar) I came to admire him and loved this show. I was aware of his chronic depression. While watching the show, filed all over the world, in the remotest of areas and the biggest of cities, we were often presented by this absolute wall of people--and I often thought how alone I would have felt in some of those huge cities. Then, of course, after he died, I wondered if he also had experienced that sense of being tiny and insignificant and lonely. And now I realize I need to back and watch more Parts Unknowns.

And so that's one thing I was thinking about at 3 a.m. The other thing I thought of was when you spoke of living in the city in one of those high rises. I had a dream a couple nights ago where I was moving into one of those high rises--and it was exciting--until I realized I would have no grass or trees. Then I had such a bad feeling that I actually woke myself up. NO no no! lol

I came back on here specifically to add one more thing I'd forgotten--but totally blanked out.

Well. I have almost successfully completed yet one more day of being a lazy bum. I need some dinner ideas! Tata!

• slowpoke_gardener
    2 years ago

I am no tree expert, but I guess bald cypress also. Have 4 of them. I think they are pretty, but are weak, and bag worms seem to like them.

Nancy, my neighbor is closer to my wildlife garden than I am. He has his water over there now, and he and his grand daughters are over there now planting peas, I buy the seeds and work the land, he waters and harvests the produce. Neither one of us is making any money, but both retired and needing something to do.

Yes, Nancy, we have a lot of traffic, most of it is dump trucK's.

Here is a picture of my oldest bald cypress, it is on the back side of the place.

Here is a close up of the leaves, I have 3 smaller bald cypress in the yard.

• Nancy RW (zone 7)
    2 years ago

I remembered what I was going to say/ask. HJ--glad you're pleased with the mulching blades. I wanted to ask how he got the mower up to get the blades off?

• hazelinok
    2 years ago

Nancy, he lifted the front of the mower and I slid cinder blocks under either side. The back, he put boards behind the tires to keep it from rolling.

The cars and being up high thing....I don't feel sad or happy, but I do enjoy it. It's a wistful feeling that I can't explain...but loneliness is tied up in all of it too.

When we were in DC four years ago, our hotel was across from apartments. And I will admit to watching people. They worked late, it seemed, and would come in late, fed their kids late and put them to bed...then would watch TV for awhile. AND, they didn't have a backyard or any place to step outside really, which is so odd to me. They kept their windows mostly open. I got caught at least once watching...and the shades went down. LOL. But, those people have a story and I will never know it. How could I know everyone's story? People are intriguing to me.

But, watching the cars zoom along the interstate from my hotel room, I just think about each individual or group in the car. Some are going on vacation, some to a funeral, some to work, some are having a really hard time and others just had a great date or outing with friends. Rambling....

It's sorta like looking at the stars and thinking about how large the universe is....and feeling very small and insignificant. BUT, we all feel so much and most of us mean something to someone else at least at some point in our lives.. And it's not just loneliness but a connectedness too. It's a weird deal.

Hoping that these babies and hens will bond in an hour or so. Fingers crossed!

• dbarron
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Yes, closing happened. Buyer cancelled walkthrough because of previous days Covid exposure, of course she didn't tell me in advance, so I sat on stool (only thing left to sit on) for 1.5 hours (rather uncomfortable). She called, we did a virtual walk through and I detailed the keys on the ring. I walked the keys down to her house (3 doors down) and left in her mailbox while waving through the glass door.

She drove the check to title company, and had them come to car to take it. I got my maint fees (mowing, uhaul, and dumpster) reimbursed from the two checks (father's and his wifes) (to my shock). That makes book keeping better and looks better for taxes.

When I went to bank to deposit principal, the drive-through lady said the manager wanted to talk to me (wasn't worrisome, she's very nice). Turns out she got a major ding for opening the account the way we did in March, her bosses thought it should be in Dad's name (not mine) as principal acct holder. This necessitated a lot of things I didn't have (Wanda has dad's wallet in her purse), and I didn't want to talk to Wanda again. We got the driver's license and ssn from the documents used for close. I called title company and asked them to text them to me (lol). They needed proof of residency (I happened to have gas bill with me for account switch over (acct #), so we used that). It took longer to fix the account than to setup originally. But like I said, the manager was pleasant company. Poor dogs left for six hours though :(

One would say that now I can rest and stay home..but I have things to do (mow the yard for one, gotta buy some pots, groceries, goodwill, etc), but this is the end of the tunnel at least (or I think so).

• Kim Reiss
    2 years ago

Danny I am so glad that part is over for you

• dbarron
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Me too Kim. In fact, short of visiting Dad, it's over! Over!

• Nancy Waggoner
    2 years ago

I was visualizing a cartoon strip about your experiences with all this, Danny. , , you got through it with a lot of kicking and screaming and dragging of heels--not by you, but by the event monster. Congratulations on a job well done!

• dbarron
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Old meme 'Nothing is ever simple.'

Lol, just tried out a new local place for lunch (burgers). It sells itself as just utterly fabulous and top 5 best food trucks (started as food truck) in Arkansas.

I walked in to their dine-in area, and was told when I said I wanted to do a takeout order to take myself out and use their app to order. This made me start off somewhat unhappy. I'm not afraid of apps, but I wanted to order person to person, having already looked at their menu at home.

Ok, so I ordered sprouts and fries and thought I was ordering like alfalfa sprouts on my burger. So..when I got home, the burger was accompanied by 4 split grilled brussel sprouts (I didn't know what the pile was till I tasted them) and exactly 12 french fries. My initial thought was...omg, did they run out of fries?

My bun was burned/overcooked, kinda dried out/hard/chewy. The fries were fine. The patty was a bit dry but flavorful. Hamburger ruined by bun though.

And when ordering, app added automatic $2 tip (I saw when I looked at receipt emailed to me). I had no service other than someone to carry bag to me. I wouldn't have tipped, was unhappy with reception.

I posted a 1 star review (I've only done that once before), and owner chirps back (summarized): Our staff deserves the tip. And if I disagree, I should stick to drive through (well basically that's the kind of service I got?). He also thought since I said the food was good (as above, I basically complimented the 12 fries), why did I leave a one-star review?

At the end of this, I kinda wanted to go punch someone, but hopefully my one-star review is revenge enough.

• Lynn Dollar
    2 years ago

Sometimes ya make a big mistake and it turns you toward a better direction.

Recall the freeze of April 21, I lost all 10 of my Big Beef tomatos I'd started from seed, not due to the freeze but a huge mental error of keeping buckets over the plants with the sun out. So I went to Marcum Nursery and bought 10 plants, Beefmaster, Better Boy, and Arkansas Traveler varieties.

These Beefmaster plants are making the largest tomatoes I've ever grown, They are giants. I picked one the other day that weighed 2 pounds and 5 ounces. Another right at 2 pounds. The only drawback, they're cat facing a lot, but while I expected some to have a lot of core, that's not been the case.

Very happy with the Better Boy's also. So far, the plants are not being affected by the blight as badly as my Big Beef.

The two Arkansas Travelers are faring the best vrs the blight. They are very strange in that the foilage is thick. Can't see tomatos inside. Gotta move a lot out of the way. These may have the best flavor, though medium in size.

But these Beefmaster, wow. I may forget about growing from seed and just buy plants from Marcums. And oh yeah, the flavor is good also. IDK if I'll go back to Big Beef.

• Nancy Waggoner
    2 years ago

Wow are those nice, Lynn!!

And had to read your hamburger story to Garry, Danny, I am mystified about the Brussel sprouts and 12 French fries. Garry wants to know how BIG the fries were. He also wondered if there were a way to give them half a star.

He was out mowing in the back 40, but left the patch where all the rudbeckia and gaillardia came up.

And what did YOU do today, Nancy? You all are not going to believe this--but I have Garry as my witness. Let's see. . . for the past 2.5 hrs, I have been sitting here at the table, watching a wasp (not sure what kind specifically--I'll have ask on insect ID.) trying to solve a problem with his gigantic dead spider prize. He/she had drug that spider UP the railing, across the railing, back down the railing, all OVER the area near the chimenea. I have multiple videos. It took me a while, but eventually I figured out the wasp was trying to figure out how to get his prize onto the chimenea where he could safely stash it inside the thing. The spider was way too big for him to carry it while flying. He'd drag it nearby, then he'd get up the chimenea and circle it circle it, looking for a way. . . . I told GDW I'd figured out what he was wanting to do. And so I ended up scooting the chimenea up against the railing so part of it was touching the railing. I tell you, it didn't take more than five minutes until little wasp dragged that spider up and onto the chimenea and then inside it. And he must be one happy little wasp. We haven't seen hide nor hair of him now. I told him. . . "Now see there? Team work makes the dream work!"

I was totally enchanted. The wasn't at all upset with me watching. He was probably saying, "Get over here and HELP!" Garry says I made a friend for life. I believe I did--that little wasp's short life. I believe this was a magical instance of interspecies communication and cooperation.

• dbarron
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Nancy, avg to small fries, not super-sized. Nope, no way to 1/2 star..just as no way to recall the tip that was added by default.

Umm, it was a she wasp...and it's probably laid it's eggs in the corpse. But you knew that ?

• Nancy Waggoner
    2 years ago

Not at all, Danny. That it was a female makes perfect sense! I thought it was desperate to get food to its young 'uns. And I was so glad to help. I'm waiting on a definitive ID from the insect group--as soon as I hear from them, I'll share. I WILL say, again, that it was a magical instance of interspecies cooperation/communication. SHE obviously was distressed and intent on getting that spider into the cinemenea, and I finally "got" it and was happy to help. It was a most freaky thing. TWICE during that 2.5 hr adventure, she actually dragged the spider over to ME, like a foot away from my foot. Even Garry was amazed. I said to him. . . "he (only of course it was a she) wants me to help." I am NOT one to anthropomorphize. . . but in this instance, I clearly got (finally) what this wasp was wanting. It truly was enchanting.

• hazelinok
    2 years ago

Danny, congrats on all you've accomplished with your Dad's stuff. That kind of thing isn't fun or easy.

Lynn! Wow! What a great harvest of tomatoes! I'm glad you've discovered something new that does so well for you!

My Ark. Traveler is doing well too.

We didn't get the "100%" chance of rain this afternoon...and we actually need some rain. I hope we get some tonight/early morning so I don't have to drag the hose around tomorrow.

All of the hens and baby chicks seem to be doing well except Stormy's baby is lethargic..Maybe? I'm going to try to more them to the outdoor brooder that is next to Blossom and her baby.. They're in a dog crate inside the storage area of the main coop. I really like this little chick and I hope she makes it. She is gray like Stormy. Her name is Ember.

The aphids are out of control on the noodle beans. We had so many ladybugs in the spring. Not now. But I was pleased to see a lady on the noodle beans tonight. Very pleased. Maybe help is coming soon.

I just hate it when the gardens get so dry. How does it go from being too wet to too dry so quickly?

Tonight's dinner was a "homegrown" one. So much fun, but a lot of work. Fried okra, pole beans, roasted potatoes and onions and ham steaks from Tom's pig.

The homegrown pigs are different. It's like there's very little fat in it. It cooks up differently. Even Ethan noticed.

The salt, olive oil, and breading for the okra wasn't homegrown, of course.

I picked another basket of tomatoes tonight. We're (Rick and I) going to can diced tomatoes tomorrow night.

I also pulled out the shallots.

I just got an invitation to pick wild blackberries next week. Excited about it.

• dbarron
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks, I do seem to remember that Arkansas Traveler was the best to weather out blight when I was starting them in college (for parent's gardens). It's nice to see it's still holding up as a good bedding tomato.

Blackberries still in season? It seems late..but that's been the case for everything this year after the cold spring.

• Kim Reiss
    2 years ago

I picked blackberries at the place I am watching. I had to go back in and be brave to get the pig locked up in her pen. I did it but I didn’t like it. My calf was reminding me what she is capable of. Now that she is securely locked up I can come and go as I please. We got enough blackberries for cobbler which I am making today.

• jlhart76
    2 years ago

I miss fresh blackberries. They used to grow all along the fenceline at home. Back before mosquitoes & ticks bothered me as much, I'd go grab a bucketful every day or two.

• hazelinok
    2 years ago

I'm not sure what I'll do with more blackberries. We have 4 jars of jelly in the pantry now, and we don't eat a lot of jelly. I'll figure something out. I don't want to turn down the chance for free fruit. Maybe I'll just freeze them. I buy them fairly often to put in my yogurt.

I was bitten up, Jen, when I went a couple of weeks ago to a different spot. Will definitely wear long pants this time. Picking berries is hard work.

Kim, let us know how your cobbler turns out. Maybe I'll make one of those too.

Little Ember didn't make it last night. Poor Stormy. Poor little chick. I just hate this. I sliipped a couple of eggs back into the dog crate and noticed that she had moved them under her. Hopefully Atwoods will get a shipment of chicks this afternoon and I'll be able to get another one for her. But, should I get only one? Here's where the Chicken Math comes into play.

I'm sad about that little gray chick. It is doubtful Atwoods will get anything like her, either....but I'll take what they have, I guess. I just hope they have some pullets and not straight runs only.

I have a funeral to attend so better get around for that.

Have a good day friends.

• Nancy RW (zone 7)
    2 years ago

Yes--freeze them and cobblers!

I am so sorry about little chick. What a cutie it was. And kind thoughts for funeral friend.

Spider wasp was ID'd as tachypompilus ferrugineus.

• AmyinOwasso/zone 6b
    2 years ago

Ron has been roasting tomatoes to make sauce with. Too many for just us. I suppose I should cut back next year, LOL. But what do I leave out? We've also gotten green beans, cucumbers and a couple of peppers.

I love Arkansas Travelers. I was even able to buy seedlings this year.

When I was very young, the neighbor lady invited my mom to pick black berries with her. She took pieces of cardboard to put down to stand on and told my mom to watch out for snakes. My city girl mom about wet her pants. She soldiered through and brought home blackberries though. I don't remember her going again.

We feed the baby blackberries. He has this nifty pacifier shaped thing that opens for a little fruit. The "sucker" part has holes in it to suck the juices out.

Ron gets so frustrated by the Chinese place here that makes you call in your order rather than make it at the counter. He wouldn't have been pleased at your situation either. He likes to tip in cash so it doesn't go through the company in any way.

We had a tiny bit of rain. Sounded like more, but gauge didn't show it. I need to go check on pots and see if they got enough water.

Sorry about the chick H/J.

Danny I'm glad you're through with dealing with your dad's house. It annoys me that the bank did that to you. Make sure there's a pay on death option. I'm still pissed at the banks over that.

Have a nice weekend.

• Lynn Dollar
    2 years ago

Moral of my story, don't be afraid to get out of your comfort zone. I was forced out of mine and glad it happened.

But those ruts are soooo comfortable.

• Nancy Waggoner
    2 years ago

We also always tip in cash. And yes, Amy, on the POD!

My mission today is to get an idea of who to order grassfed livestock meats from. I've decided it's time. No more of this grocery store junk. If you all have any preferred online sites, I'd love to hear from you.

• dbarron
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Nancy, don't swear I can find it..but there was a longhorn beef producer maybe in Coweta that I looked at last fall. I'll see if I can re-google it.

Here's some:

http://www.mcguirelc.com/Default.aspx?id=27716&Title=BeefForSale

https://6dfarms.square.site/shop/bulk-beef/14?page=1&limit=60&sort_by=category_order&sort_order=asc

I bought a 1/4 last December, and still trying to get through it. I don't think either of these were the guy I talked to..but the last one with $200 for 1/4 seems a great buy.

• Lynn Dollar
    2 years ago

Oklahoma Cattleman's Association has a buy beef direct directory . Might find a rancher here

Ok Cattleman's

• Nancy Waggoner
    2 years ago

Thanks to both of you. Meanwhile, I had googled grassfed livestock sites online and HAD to test this one out. White Oak Pastures in GA. WOW do they have a selection! I ordered pork belly and a couple steaks, just to give them a try.

• hazelinok
    2 years ago

I wouldn't say my Arkansas Traveler is disease free. I can't grow disease free tomatoes. Maybe it's because I lack the time to prune and whatnot. They still produce, though.

Atwoods had very young chicks so Stormy has a replacement baby. They don't have the wide selection so I just got a sex-linked one--a Golden Star. It's super cute and she needs a name.

I came home a few minutes ago and the baby that hatched in our coop is injured. I am so upset! I sure hope he makes it. The momma is taking good care of him, but it's so upsetting. I think he hurt it on some stupid wire that was around the dumb broody box. I threw that box out and brought in Finbar's carrier. It's a little small but maybe it will be fine for sleeping.

This chick seems like a boy to me, so I'll call him Kirk--James T Kirk.

The other chicks and moms seem fine but they need to be out of their brooders soon. If they could co-exist and even co-parent that would be a dream. I could take their divider out and open the door to the pen. If they can't get along, I'll have to figure out something else.

This chicken year has been hard. I don't want to do it this way again.

I am going to rest for a bit before we start canning.. I need some alone time. lol.

• Kim Reiss
    2 years ago

Nancy
    VWFFARM is great place to order from. I have been following them since before their bed and chicken operation ramped up. They are good

• Kim Reiss
    2 years ago

Cobbler was amazing. Used a recipe from one of moms old cookbooks to get me started but tweaked it a bit ; )
    I haven’t had sugar or flour since May 23 so this was rare treat. The crust is my favorite part and it did not disappoint.

• AmyinOwasso/zone 6b
    2 years ago

I used to babysit a boy who is now an OU professor. He is a missing hiker in Nevada. I'm freaking out. His mother was my mother's best friend. (You may have seen the story on KOKO.)

• Nancy Waggoner
    2 years ago

Kim, am I missing something? What is VWFFARM???

• Kim Reiss
    2 years ago

Cobbler was amazing. Used a recipe from one of moms old cookbooks to get me started but tweaked it a bit ; )
    I haven’t had sugar or flour since May 23 so this was rare treat. The crust is my favorite part and it did not disappoint.

• Kim Reiss
    2 years ago

Nancy sorry. Thought you were looking for beef producers. I’ll go back later and see who it was

• dbarron
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Lovely rain this morning, but it's kinda stuffy still (no cooler drier air came in).

• Nancy RW (zone 7)
    2 years ago

Kim--I WAS. Where are they? I see some you tubes on them, but no web site? Thx.

• dbarron
    Original Author
    2 years ago

It's HARD to get a puppy shot, this was the only one of 7 or 8 that I had a whole unobscured puppy in. He came a bit smaller than Rags (3 weeks ago), he's clearly now larger.

They play together in mock fights for hours. I just hope he adjusts his force as he grows or things will get ugly.

• Nancy RW (zone 7)
    2 years ago

I WISH, Kim! Looks like one has to pick it up or be in their delivery zone. What a lovely site. Thank you for the heads up! Looks like they're sort of in your neck of the woods, Danny.

Jasper is growing by leaps and bounds. How awfully nice that Rags has taken to him. Made me smile. And he is so handsome! Yes, it's pretty muggy here, too. Yuck. It rained lightly for quite some time in the early hours today.

Did you find out about your old babysitting charge, the missing hiker, yet, Amy? I am SO sorry to hear this! Prayers that they'll find him alive!

We've been having some very lazy days lately, with the humid weather. Today was no exception. In fact, it's as though with each day we're trying to beat the record we set the day before!

I have a big pot of Rotel dip in the slow cooker (with grated cheese vs Velveeta) for a birthday party this evening. I hadn't bought Velveeta ever in my life. But did a year or 2 ago to fix the dip a DIL talked me into. It wasn't bad at all--but could definitely taste that it was not real cheese. Well, I got that cheese out of the fridge this morning. It's been sitting in there for nearly two years. It looked just fine. How scaring is THAT!! LOL. I tossed it. GDW and I then went for a lazy drive and into town for some real cheese, Rotel, tortilla chips and this seltzer a friend had recommended. It's White Claw's fruit-flavored seltzers.

I was thinking about you saying you needed alone time, HJ. I have as much as I need or could ever want, even though Garry and I are seldom apart. It is SO peaceful and nice living with him. I'm thankful. He was thinking about falling asleep earlier, and I didn't realize it, so was talking. As soon as I realized it, I apologized and said I'd quit. He said, "You don't have to quit; I like listening when you talk--you really don't talk that much." Do ya believe THAT, Amy? lol

Okay all, have a blessed Sunday.

• Kim Reiss
    2 years ago

Nancy
    I would Contact them directly. The website is not the best yet. They have mentioned that it has problems. You are in their zone.

• Kim Reiss
    2 years ago

Jennifer you can have my alone time. It’s terribly long and lonely.

• hazelinok
    2 years ago

I'm sorry Kim and Moni.

I'm sure at some point I would get lonely too.

Kim (and Jen), I would have loved for y'all to come over last night to can tomatoes, but things were a little crazy around here with the chick situations as well as other things. Even before Rick came over, I got the tomatoes peeled and diced and ready to can. I needed it to be done in a very neat and tidy way and wanted to do it alone. I did not want to mop the floors or wipe cabinets at midnight. Too tired for that. Next 'round, y'all should come over.

Our beans have been a flop, so no canning those. Hopefully the fall beans will produce enough for a few canning sessions.

We got 15 pints of diced tomatoes and they are so pretty. Very red. They were mostly Jet Setter and Jet Star. Peeling larger tomatoes is much nicer too!

Those little ones like Roma and Juliet, we'll use for sauce and they'll go through the tomato press.

The chicks and moms are doing well. Stormy and chick got to leave the dog crate that was in the storage area of the coop, and go to her broody box that has a nice little outside area. It's in a dog kennel that is divided in two. Blossom was on the other side. But we moved her into the chick brooder with her little wounded chick. The chick seems okay. Maybe a little stressed. I brought it in tonight and put more ointment on it's wound and sorta force fed it some plain yogurt.

I removed the upper part of the divider in the old coop, which is the brooder for Dolly and Peg. They can see each other clearly and haven't been too upset. I'm SO hoping I can take the divider out altogether and they'll be able to raise their chicks together.

Our chicken yard looks like a homeless camp. I don't mean for that to sound snotty or mean....but it does look like one. I've delivered food and other items enough to know that it does. I have dreams for a tidy broody hen apartment complex.

We got a nice rain. SO happy. A few minutes before, a wonderful cool breeze came it. It was HOT before that. I had rigged up fans for all of the chicken areas, but then took them down before the rain started.

You know, our gardens do not look great. BUT, other than the beans (and the beans were a big chunk of the SG) , everything has done very well!

The kitchen garden is so weedy, though.

Has anyone started cauliflower from seed? It's been nearly 2 weeks and the seed is a no show.

• Nancy Waggoner
    2 years ago

I was single (even son grown and away) for 25 years. They were a glorious 25 years, honest to God. I could count the number of times I was lonely on five fingers. Perhaps because I had a chaotic previous 20 years with hardly a moment of alone time. I think perhaps why I enjoyed single life so much was because for those years I was still working--that meant being away from my home from 6:30 a.m. until 6 pm. So those precious few night hours and weekend hours alone were so very important.

Thanks again, Kim. . . I will certainly check into them some more. I have leads on a few places to check out. Meanwhile, GDW and I are looking forward to getting our first order from White Oak Pastures. I'm not going to be interested in buying big packages or 1/4 or 1/2 beef or pork until I have tried several. But we're both excited to try some out.

• dbarron
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I tend to not be lonely either (single all my life), except on those darn sentimental holidays like Thanksgiving, Easter, and Christmas (I miss family gatherings then).

• hazelinok
    2 years ago

It's probably an extrovert/introvert thing. I'm an introvert--definitely get my energy from alone time. People get confused because friendliness and such is considered "extroverted" and shyness and fear of public speaking and such is considered "introverted", but that's not entirely true.

It's just how you get your energy---introverts (who can be great public speakers) are energized internally and with alone time. Extroverts (who can be shy) get their energy from outside--being with others.

Speaking of....this introvert needs to gather all of her energy and get out there with the people this morning. This part of my job is all about the people, which is why I'm completely drained on Sunday afternoons.

• dbarron
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I transplanted some lantana (best for me to overwinter small plants indoors and plant out next spring, if I want them to perennialize). I also transplanted about 40 balloon flower seedlings (sown in April or May) into 7 community pots or so.

I accidentally (or stupidly) introduced puppy to a mud puddle, after which he proceeded to make a fabulous mud (or muddy) puppy. We both just had showers..he wasn't really keen on the idea, but it wasn't too bad.

• AmyinOwasso/zone 6b
    2 years ago

The hiker was found. I haven't heard details, but he was alive. When I heard about this, my mind said Momma you need to find him. It's Wanda's little boy. Then they found him. If ever there would be an angel to get things done it would be my momma.

I was once at the dentist's and they wanted to know what radio station I wanted to listen to. I said "I have 4 kids. Silence would be lovely". I also need alone time. Actually, I looked at my shoes yesterday and couldn't remember the last time I had them on. I think it was when we bought the chair. Yes, people have been here. And I'm always ready for them to go home, LOL. I've never had a problem being alone. I spent a lot of alone time reading as a child. And, as the oldest, it was just me for a few years. I do, however, eventually get cabin fever and want to go somewhere.

I think we finally got about 1/2" of rain. It kept going around us.

I wonder if someone has started a new thread?

• dbarron
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I didn't ;)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations