SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dbarronoss

July 2021 Week 4

dbarron
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Ok, let's wind up July (and August) and get on to cooler temperatures. Yes, after it seems many months of 'It's too cold'..now I complaint 'It's too hot'.

As I type this there are rogue thunderstorms in the area, I had just taken the puppy out and saw the lightning flashes. It doesn't really look like I'll get any though, but we can hope.

My butternut type type squash planted like a week and a half or two back, germinated yesterday (I think)...wow they weren't positively affected by high temperatures, I was expecting fast germination, but they seem to have read the book and are following it. Now we'll hope that they are able to grow, flower, and mature before frost. I've never tried such a late sowing of winter squash before.

Jasper has advanced to pretty much no biting and much less chewing (he'd rather maul Rags, though it's often him that's the dust mop twirling around the center). I can hold him (at last..now that he's almost too big for it) and he doesn't try to snap at my nose or ears (one ear wound in the early days of the puppy war). Three more weeks to complete vaccination and being able to take him on tiring walks (though we need more leash time..but it's just too hot to put him and me through it right now).

Reading of the great chick escapades, I might be glad I don't have chickens, it seems more trouble than a single puppy.

Well the native hibiscus (grandiflorus, laevis, and militaris (yes I have all three)) should be coming into bloom very soon. The cold early in the year retarded them, but they have responded with greater height. The grandiflorus has to be at least seven foot high. Moni remarked that all my plants are so tall, well that's kinda what happens with endless rainfall, but she's right...in May I had New England Aster at five to six feet, it's probably like eight (except it's fallen over) now. My cute little downy sunflower is towering over my head. I shall have to take a photo of it today and post it once the sun comes up.

Well, I really am going to pretty much sit this next month out till things cool down. I haven't mowed the back yard in about two weeks, and I think I have to do that today. Having an battery mower, it doesn't like the clumpy wet grass, but I'm gonna force it at 7 am or 7:30 am, because it's too hot in the evenings. The front will wait another few days, but it is going to need it soon too. No wonder I started flowers in the yard, and would like to quit mowing it.

Everyone stay cool and don't worry too much about those weeds. My best friend lost one of his childhood friends Thursday who overheated while mowing (we assume a heart attack). Stay hydrated.

Comments (52)