SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dbarronoss

November Week 2 2021: Thinking about Turkeys and Hams and stuff

dbarron
2 years ago

Ok, to belay my title, I'll start with other stuff (well hey, that's 'stuff' right?).

I happen to be mildly allergic (and find horribly distasteful any more) to garlic and onion (and probably by extension chives). I decided I wanted a chili cheeseburger, and there's a lack of burger dives anymore, so I headed to a local breakfast place (that also serves lunch) and used to be fantastic. I took one bite of my burger and found garlic taste in my mouth. I scraped the chili off, and took a bite of the meat (yep, embedded into the meat...) and left the rest ;( I felt mildly sick for the next 24 hours. Do I have to start asking if the cook likes garlic? or onions? and tries to put it in everything? I found garlic embedded in my breakfast chicken fried steak back in the spring (same place)...I guess I have to mark it as 'poisonous' and never go there again. I used to like the taste of garlic, but my tongue has finally caught up with my allergies, and it's noxious to me now. Even then I would have never thought to have heavy garlic for breakfast. Ok, enough food rant!

Due to the above, I find choice of breakfast sausage a bit problematical, sometimes they also include noxious ingredients and even if they don't, the spicing (sage and cayenne) is usually too mild or too intense. So, I'm making my own to get it 'just right'.

So...my brain synapses fired (vs misfire) and I remember that I used some juniper berries (aka cedar) to spice up some venison breakfast sausage (back in the day when my recently deceased uncle and my father used to hunt deer). So yesterday was the sausage prep day (I had bought a pork shoulder Friday and stored in fridge), I went to Target bright and early to get a mortar and pestle. I brought it home and wiped it out, and seasoned it (ground white rice). The dogs barked the whole time I was grinding, not sure what they thought of the odd sound. In the afternoon, I walked dog the Greenway and collected some abundant cedar berries, brought them home and washed and drained them. I will prepare a small first batch of sausage (with spices) and about 20 ground juniper berries (per lb) and see how I like it, before cutting up the rest of the 8.5 lb shoulder. It'll probably take me several hours to cut the meat off the bone and into strips that I can feed through the grinder (and I tend to put the blades on backwards and have to strip it all down and start over again, because I don't use it but every few years) and grind it and season it...and portion and freeze it. Strangely looking forward to my first taste (though the dogs will probably be underfoot and in my way and I'll be mad at them).

My house came with some trashy (my opinion) old style iris (pale yellow and pale purple). This past spring, I ordered some hybrid flashy reblooming iris (and some aril-breds (my iris passion)) and when they arrived in June (I think), I had to pot them as I wasn't ready to plant, expected them in August. They've all done well and are ready to go in their permanent slot. I started day before yesterday digging out the old iris rhizomes. I should resume digging out and then plant today. I hope some bloom next year, but no real expectation for the first year.

All the potted plants (but my 20F hardy cactus) are in the back porch and I need to move them to the laundry room very soon, so I can water with saucers. Can't wait till April when I can bring them back out again. I have one almost ripe Meyer lemon on the tiny twig of a tree that I have.

Well, I hope everyone has a good week and if you're so inclined, thinking about what you're going to make for Thanksgiving. I thought about going out to one of the few restaurants open and having lunch, but I guess I will be cooking. I have a (unsmoked..yuck) whole turkey that's been frozen a year and a ham I just bought (and froze), due to dates, I probably should cook that turkey. I'll need to get creative with what the heck I do with all that turkey though, when I get tired of unsmoked turkey quite quickly. Since it's just me, it'll probably be cranberry sauce, mashed potatoes, another veggie, and the turkey.

Comments (47)