SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
paradigmseo

House-addition plan review (adding on multiple rooms with Sketchup).

Mark Mark
2 years ago

Not sure if this is the right place to post, but here goes:

First, although I have done one small remodel in the past, I have never done anything large like this, esp involving building walls, etc.

Goal: To add two bedrooms, one bathroom, and a mother-in-law apartment (rental unit).

What I tried: I learned Sketchup and made a sample floor plan. First, I am not sure if its good (e.g. uses proper conventions, everything in the right place, efficient, etc...). Second, I am not sure if there is a better approach based on goals below.

I sure would prefer to have two levels to save a little land, but I already have lots of joint pain, and costs are higher for two story's I heard someone say once.

Light: I like windows, but we all know the tradeoff between energy and windows. Hallway is currently pretty dark, so more light would be good.

Cost-efficiency: Practical, very cost savings, but also nice enough to sell the home later. A bonus truss approach would be great to save costs to get another (how much does that save really?) with the second room or some other space up high. Currently the east (opposite) end of the house is a bonus truss already with a family room and office.

One alternative, not in this design, would be to move the small room from the bottom to an upstairs one (bonus truss). Yeah, I worry about my health issues, but maybe one room up there would save a lot of cash, I dunno.

Flooding/basement: Technically we are in a long-sitting snow area, which is prob why the house is already 3 feet above the ground, and a sizeable crawlspace (prob 5'), to prevent water from seeping in.

1. Current house layout notes: The master bedroom could benefit from a slightly larger walk in closet, but not essential. Currently, its 6'3" wide by 5'4" deep. There is also a hall closet at the end of the hall currently, not seen, so having at least one (or more) closet to replace it would be essential.

2. Window size: Currently, the rest of the house has window openings that are 35" wide by 58" tall, measuring from each side of the large flat area (est 5" deep) which is perpendicular to the window, Not sure what the flat parts on the sides are called, other than the bottom flat part which is the window sill of course.

1. Roof pitch: 32 degrees (7.5" rise per 12" run).

And finally, a video walkthrough:

https://youtu.be/GSxhd3HdNrI

Comments (63)