SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ostrich0001

To stake or not to stake, that is the question....?

ostrich
2 years ago

Hi everyone,

I am wondering if you can advise me as to whether I should get these two young trees staked or not please. They were planted in my new yard (Zone 4b in Canada) last summer:

This Royal Beauty Crabapple was quite small when it was planted last year, and it has survived the winter well. However, now it is apparent that the trunk is not straight and it is leaning towards the west, along with the direction of the winds. Should this be staked at all?

Then the next one is a Royal Red Maple that was potted before it was planted in the ground last summer. It is about 12 feet tall now, and as you see, from a distance, it looks very even with the silhouette, though when you look closely, you will see that the main lead leans to one side, and then together with another branch, forms a "Y" at the top. Someone said that I should have this staked to get it to grow up straight. Since it is already 12 feet tall, how on earth would I stake it? And should I even stake it at all?

I know that I am supposed to let these trees have their own movements in the trunk so that it will grow stronger, so I don't want to restrict too much movements there.... so what should I do with these two trees please? To stake or not to stake..... that is the question!

Thanks in advance for your help!

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!